Sign in to follow this  
slothian

Help Influence Episode 57!

Yes, you can help influence not only the film Pandy & I use as the joint review, but the homework we assign each other to plot the range of their career. As announced in Episode 55, our subject will be Tom Cruise.

Pandy & I will take an executive decision on what makes the joint review on Friday 24th August so get your ideas in before then!

NB) We will not be covering Interview with a Vampire or Oblivion.

You also can't cover Rain Man.

This is rather hard, as he's only been in 40-some movies, but many of them are classics. How do you choose between these?

• Risky Business
  • Top Gun
  • A Few Good Men
  • Mission: Impossible
  • Magnolia
  • Born on the Fourth of July

I'll say Top Gun, Born on the Fourth of July, and A Few Good Men.

Top Gun, Mission: Impossible no. 1, and The Mummy (2017 version)

He's good in Magnolia but I'd argue it's too much of an ensemble to be used for any one actor.

I would say either: Risky Business, Minority Report, Jack Reacher or

Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Edge of Tomorrow.

It's that middle era movie that's killer. There are a ton of good options. That all said, if you want to listen to someone sing that obviously shouldn't be, Rock of Ages is a movie that Tom Cruise was in. It's... a bit better than Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia.

Edge of Tomorrow, Minority Report, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol for sure. And if you're feeling cheeky, Going Clear, that documentary on Scientology. 

The only film I've seen him in where he didn't give exactly the same performance that he always does is Tropic Thunder, though he's a ways down the cast list on that, it did at least prove he had some comedy chops and the ability to play someone other than himself.

Risky Business is said to be his star making role. And Top Gun reified that. 

Here's my strongman pitch: COLLATERAL. Cruise plays the villain and it's a serious standout from his usual performances. If not now than maybe during a Jaimie Foxx month because I love that film.

I hope I remember to send feedback in time and simply ask why so many people have a hate-boner for Cruise. Should be interesting to talk about.

Donovan is right. Collateral is a must. I'll change my picks to: Top Gun, A Few Good Men, and Collateral.

Unpopular opinion: Days of Thunder is better than Top Gun. Also has Michael Rooker, Nicole Kidman, Robert Duvall and BABY John C. Reilly. 

Definitely Risky Business for a young Cruise role. Collateral for a perfomance that is very un-Cruise (Michael Mann wanted him to be more anonymous and blend in) and Eyes Wide Shut for an example Cruise working with Nicole Kidman and for what I think would be an interesting discussion.

8 hours ago, Mr Mockery said:

Eyes Wide Shut for an example Cruise working with Nicole Kidman and for what I think would be an interesting discussion.

And I thought I was being cruel for suggesting The Mummy...