Every comic you've read in 2019

Missy

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Killmonger #3: This story and its writing is getting better. Still some glitches for me in the reading experience. The sex scene was entirely unnecessary, despite the page full of caption boxes preaching its justification like a defense attorney. St. Louis is spelled "Saint Louis", which is weird. But Bryan Edward Hill writes a badass Bullseye.

Single Issues: 1

The Drive-In 2 #1: oof...worse adaptation that the first series. I'm out after one. A resolution is being more discerning in my comic reading this year. If something isn't lighting me on fire, I'm fucking off immediately. I'm still reading books from October.

• Comics: 1 
  • Trades:
  • Graphic Novels:
  • Omnibus:

Mr. and Mrs. X #6-7: I prefered Issue 6's slice of life party to #7's visit to noir but I love Mojo so I'm willing to let it slide. it helps that Thompson's writing style definitely works well with the strange meta-ness of Mojo stories.

Uncanny X-Men #8: I am slowly getting won over. Still not quite as good as during the Blue, Yellow, and Red era.

Single Issues: 3

Heroes in Crisis #4: Holy Shit. This is FUCK-ING AWWW-FULLL.

Wonder Woman literally yells out "Suffering Sappho!" and knocks over Batman's giant penny in the Bat-Cave, causing everyone to quip in the middle of a heinous murder mystery of their friends and colleagues.

Action Comics #1006: Loving this book, this is one of my favorites right now.

Detective Comics #996: I think the death of the long-running supporting is questionable, but I trust Tomasi. He's doing the vengeful, angry, scary Batman way better than King though.

Batgirl #30 (2018): Scott's focus on Jim and Barbara's relationship is much appreciated, but it's jarring from issue to issue. Don't think Gordon would pull a gun on Batgirl as fast as he did.

Savage Dragon #241: IDK with this book anymore. Larsen's wading in some very very troubling territory, and I'm reading for the trainwreck factor basically.

Single Issues: 6

Immortal Hulk vol 1 - Got this during a Comixology sale, and holy shit. I've read different Hulk runs over the years, but this is the most impactful story I've read in a while. There's a lot of continuity here, but it's mostly smooth reading. And the art is just incredible, didn't know Joe Bennett can do such moody work like this.

Legends of the Dark Knight: Norm Breyfogle - Reading through it, great stuff. Breyfogle was such a versatile artist, he can probably follow up Todd McFarlane, Ty Templeton, Neal Adams, or Bernie Wrightson and it won't be jarring. It's a bit of a transitional period for Batman, I feel, with the quips and whimsical villains slowly starting to give way to social commentary and grotesquery (appropriate for the 2000 AD pedigree of Wagner and Grant). I'm not always convinced by the writing, it's a little much, but I do enjoy getting into this run that I've only read scattered issues of.

Dragonball Z : That time I got reincarnated as Yamcha - The credits list someone named "Dragongarow Lee" as the person that did the story and art but I am convinced the art was Akira Toriyama (or some very brilliant copycat). I like how the unnamed protagonist (U.P.) was in a universe that was drawn in a different art style than the DBZ universe. "Yamcha" cheats by anticipating future events in the story, giving him a power level of over 10,000, but never got into a relationship with Bulma and still loses her to Vegeta. The ending is a bit of a cop-out and you don't feel like the protagonist is any better off. However there is a moment where U.P. is in his universe and gets a moment of confidence when he thinks he has the strength of Yamcha. 

Iceman #5: Sina Grace got "Henny" into a comic. That alone sold me on what is the conclusion to one of the most queer mainstream titles I've read in years. All in all, this was heads and tails as good as Grace's first run on the character. Seriously, if he could write X-Men forever, I'd be a very happy man.

Uncanny X-Men #9: It's basically a big fight scene and very much a transitioning one at that. It's okay though there's a moment in the middle of the issue that I marked out at.

Young Justice #1: It's Bendis being Bendis but damn if this wasn't fun!

Batman#62: It's still got a couple of issues before it goes off the pull list. It's gonna take a lot to keep it on the pull list at this point though.

Die #2: As much as I've loved everything Kieron Gillen's has done up to this point, this have very real potential to become my new favorite.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1: I was a big fan of Tom Taylor's X-Men Red so I figured I would follow him along here. It was actually kind of nice to have a Spider-Man book that mostly had Peter. Then it got to the back-up...

Spoiler

One of my favorite teachers from High School died of Breast Cancer earlier this week. Aunt May developing breast cancer kind of broke me. Like, I finished reading this a few minutes ago and I'm still trying to stop myself from crying. Just... fuck...

Single Issues: 9

The Death of Superman: this is the first in that series of trades that came out a couple years back detailing the whole era of Superman. Looking forward to reading more. Impressions of this one have me impressed for the most part. Forgot how much I missed the work on Jon Bogdanove and Louise Simonson on Superman. Good shit. Still not sure about the issue of splash pages. I get what they were going for, but it doesn't ring true to me.

• Comics: 1 
  • Trades: 
  • Graphic Novels:
  • Omnibus: 1

I'm sorry for your loss Will.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1 (2018):

Spoiler

I thought this was okay. Not familiar with Tom Taylor at this point, but the main story was boilerplate Spider-Man. The backup was interesting, but for me, personally, Aunt May's "died" twice already so not only do I not really care, I doubt it'll stick.

Batman #62 (2018): Whatever. This wasn't a badly done comic but I did not give a fuck. People said Grant Morrison's Batman run was pretentious, but at least he had fun with the character.

Nightwing #56 (2018): Decent but this storyline is going on too long.

Young Justice #1 (2018): Solid stuff, but I have questions that Bendis needs to answer regarding continuity with these characters. But overall, solid.

Miles Morales: Spider-Man #2: The older designs of Miles and Ganke is hella distracting. Story's so-so.

Single Issues: 11

Limbo: I abandoned the monthlies in favour of the trade and then never got around to the trade. What a fun, visually striking book. A unique world with familiar mythologies. Beautiful colours. I wish there was more.

The Punisher #226: God, this is fucking rad.

Thor #1: This is great too. Looking forward to more.

Titans Special #1: Kind of dug this, but then just not enough to follow up on it.

• Comics: 4
  • Trades: 1
  • Graphic Novels:

Journey into Mystery #83: Surprisingly, Thor's first appearance holds up all these years later.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1: Oh no. Aunt May is sick. <_<

Batgirl: Year One #1-9: Thoughts coming in episode 1045.

Detective Comics #359: This was a fun origin story.

Comics: 12

Green Arrow/Black Canary: Road to the Altar - Trying to be more familiar with DC, and I've always liked Canary so I picked this up. Pretty fun read, good insight to Dinah as a character. The art was pretty good, except in the Wedding Planner issue. 

Green Lanterns vol. 1 - Some of the writing doesn't feel all that cohesive to me, but the characters shine really well, even if I am so unfamiliar with all the cosmic stuff. Love Simon and Jessica, they're a great team that I can't wait to follow. The art is pretty good, in keeping with the DC style, but doesn't really hold up in the quieter segments. 

On 1/9/2019 at 10:39 PM, Donomark said:

I'm sorry for your loss Will.

I am sorry, as well. 

Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Ben Hatke) - A retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk. In this version Jack went to the Giant to rescue his kidnapped sister. He does not get a fortune from the giant nor is he the one that kills the giants (could have been the girl that followed him). The epilogue was just like a after credits stinger from an MCU movie. 

Amazing Spider-Man #814: I liked this. Spencer is really spending his run healing old wounds, and the continuity is well utilized again.

Superman #7 (2019): This was cool. I've been digging Action more than Superman, but this brings it all back to Clark's family and signals an endgame for the Jor-El plot.

Detective Comics #996: I'm seeing where Tomasi is going with this story, and I'm digging it. Plus, Kyodai Ken is in continuity now! Sweet!

Single Issues: 14

The Nail: A three-issue DC Elseworlds miniseries written and pencilled by Alan Davis, who blesses each page and as many DC characters as possible with his energy and wonderful style. An AU where the Kents never adopted Kal-El and the DC world slowly goes to hell years later as a result.

Another Nail: Sequel to the nail, now with more Green Lantern Corps and Kirby's Fourth World. Once that first chapter is over and done with, it's a decent read but not as engrossing as it's predecessor. Still good though. 

Single Issues: 14

Trade Paperbacks: 2

X-Men Blue #28, 29: this was good story-wise. Tough art. Too bad.

Archie's Superteens vs Crusaders #1: fun.

Batman #49: this was great. Great visual storytelling for two characters who don't move.

Black Hammer Age of Doom #3: fucking great.

Captain America #704: I wish they never did this run. How inconsequential was this bullshit? Especially after the future storyline they just came out of?

Champions #21: more rough art here.

Crude #3: ehh...this took a turn for the boring.

Daredevil #604: this was awesome, especially for the random insertion of a millennia-old secret society to deus ex machina a boss fight. it worked.

Evolution #7: I think this has run its course.

Hunt for Wolverine Claws of a Killer #2: solid.

Infidel #4: this was way better. I'll give it another issue.

Infinity Countdown Black Widow #1

Infinity Countdown Champions #1: I'm not sure this needed to be a tie-in, but it was really good. A bit of a flashback to the Nova series.

Justice League #2: this was not good. I'm out.

• Comics: 19
  • Trades: 1
  • Graphic Novels:

Teen Titans #26 (2019): This was a good read, in spite of Damian. Writer keep pressing the reset button with him. Either he's aligned himself with Batman's ideals or he's at complete odds. He keeps having to learn the same lesson. I don't know why that has to be. But the scene between him and Alfred was good stuff.

Batman #63 (2019): S'alright, but King's style has gotten old by this point.

Immortal Hulk #11-#12: This has to be one of the best Hulk runs ever. I'm no expert on the character, but this is so continually good and dark and creepy, I can't see many other runs topping this.

Single Issues: 18

Trade Paperbacks: 2

Buffy The Vampire Slayer #1: Reboot of the TV series in comics form. It's an interesting take so far. Not completely sure how neccesary it is but I'll give it the first story arc at least.

Uncanny X-Men Annual #1: That might be the first time I've liked main continuity Cyclops in forever.

Blossom 666 #1: One of the Blossom Twins is the Anti-Christ but let's be honest, it'll end up being Cheryl. Still, an interesting first issue though I could never tell the difference between Archie and Jason. For that matter, it's obvious that the art is inspired by Riverdale.

Single Issues: 13

Think Tank vol 1: I sat on this for a while, but it's really good.

Ninja-K #8: this was not great.

Peek a Boo #4: not bad.

Taarna #2: this feels a lot more like Heavy Metal. Good stuff.

Tony Stark Iron Man #1: pretty much a dud.

Weapon H #4: this is still really good.

X-Men Gold #30: is a wedding issue EVER good?

Bedtime Games #1: not the best, but I will try more.

Brothers Dracul #3: motherfucker, this is good.

Cyber Force #4: This got good.

Detective Comics #983: Bryan Hill is doing something good here. I'm intrigued.

Harbinger Wars 2 #2: ehh...I think I'm done.

• Comics: 30
  • Trades: 2
  • Graphic Novels:

Die 2: Yeah, I'm here for this. I'll be interested to see if Hans can keep up on a monthly schedule, though. 

WicDiv 41: HELL YEAH HELL YEAH HELL FUCKIN' YEAH. 

Deadly Class 36: Oh look, it's another drug trip issue. I am so very compelled by this content. /sarcasm

Buffy 1: I'm actually kind of interested to see how this goes, and how much of a hand Whedon will actually have in this versus the rein they might give Jordie.

Loving Dru's reintroduction at the end of the issue, as it's a pretty blatant fuck you to the cuckoo goth waifu portrayal in the original series. Also interested where they might take Xander and what might be a hint of MRA/men on the internet with the one panel they have, can't say it's what they're doing for sure, but hey.

Monstress 19: Comic real pretty, here for this fantasy ass shit. :D 

Trades: 1
Single Issues: 5