Sign in to follow this  
The Master

Every comic you've read in 2019

Again, to catch up on writing at some point:

Livewire vol 1

Xena 1

About Betty’s Boob

FCBD - Dear Justice League, Kodansha, Vertical

Didn't read a lot due to the move. Trying to get back into it.

Peek a Boo #5: this won't be the best horror comic of the year, but it was fun as fuck, and way better than The Hills Have Eyes which it totally steals from.

Saga Valta 1: a GN that wasn't worth reading.

Stellar #1: plodding.

Teenage Wasteland #1:not very good.

The Life of Captain Marvel #1: also not very good.

• Comics: 105
  • Trades: 10
  • Graphic Novels: 2
  • Omnibus: 3

Batman #70: Bleh

Batman and the Outsiders #1 (2019): This was good. I don't like the modern new 52/Rebirth voice for Cassandra, in how she speaks in broken language. It probably makes sense, but before she just spoke slowly in ellipses. Now reads like an attempt to make her cuter by sounding dumber, and really bothers me. That being said, this was solid and I like the roster of this team. 

Single Issues: 167

Trade Paperbacks: 6

9 hours ago, The Master said:

Batman #71: What is this mess?

King's been playing with himself for months now. The book's become super pretentious, and this attempt to "break" Batman doesn't land as believable or suspenseful compared to the last couple of times it's happened (Morrison with RIP and making him believe his father was alive and evil, Scott Snyder with the Court of Owls). I'll say this, the man knows how to write for his artists. But you read Batman being driven to such anger that he clocks Tim Drake in the face and you don't buy it for a second.

Spider-Man: Life Story #3: I love this series. It's dark, depressing and compelling. Pretty much exactly how I love my Spider-Man.

James Bond: 007 #1-#7: I love the various Dynamite Comic Bond runs, and this current series with the re-imagining of Odd Job is my favorite yet. Greg Pak has written an intriguing, fun character who bounces off of Bond nicely in a way that I'd love for this to be put on the big screen as a film. Tons of fun, these issues.

Single Issues: 176

The X-Files Case Files Hoot Goes There #1: fucking solid.

Weapon H #5: Marvel's most consistent new character. From the Weapon X run and this series, this is great.

X-Men Gold #32: not the best

X-Men Red #6: same as above

A Walk Through Hell #3: not bad, but not as good as the previous issues. I'm out.

Bedtime Games #2: not bad at all.

Buffy De Mentia/Mara Celtic Shamaness/Yuppies Rednecks and Lesbian Bitches from Mars/Naughty Knotty: all Eros graphic novels. The Naughty Knotty is by far the best as a collection of Wally Wood's sleazy strips. Good shit.

• Comics: 111
  • Trades: 10
  • Graphic Novels: 6
  • Omnibus: 3

Miles Morales: Spider-Man (vol.2) #4-#6: I wasn't crazy about the first couple of issues of Saladin Ahmed's run, but I checked back in and then doubled back to the last couple of ones to catch up. I'm liking the series much more now. It's perfectly paced from issue to issue, balancing Miles' school life with his Spidey life well. Bendis always tended to swallow up his Spider-Men with one overarching story, so I've barely seen subplots develop, unlike with Ahmed where we get douchey Vice Principal JJ-esque character, and Miles' girlfriend. I'm still reeling from the artwork by Javier Gorron. Miles and Ganke have to be...seventeen now? Maybe that makes sense, but I still have no idea when this massive time skip would've occurred. I think the plots and stories are good, Ahmed's dialogue is hit or miss. He's constant with current NY dialect, and there are times that the art doesn't translate the emotional intent of the lingo in ways I find believable, making the slang appear a bit much. I know Ahmed's a NY native so I don't doubt the accuracy, but it doesn't read as seamless, and also doesn't sound like Bendis' characters. After nine years, Miles and Ganke all of a sudden talk like they're right out of MTV. I think Jason Reynolds was a bit better with that in his Miles novel. But I'm liking the current run a lot more now than I did in the beginning.

Single Issues: 181