Every Film You've Watched in 2019

Missy

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Winnie-The-Pooh: It's the film from the early 2010s. It's some great hand-drawn animation and very whimsical. It's also very short. It's a shame that it flopped which lead to Disney going all in on CGI for it's animated films.

Tron: I've only seen it a couple of times. It's not the most exciting film but considering what it's done for the film industry, it is definitely an important film.

Star Wars: A New Hope: Starting a rewatch before Episode 9. It's a great film.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks: This was one of my favorites growing up. It holds up considerably well!

Films: 151
Documentary: 1
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:
Repeats: 6

Zombieland:

First, to address what I said earlier:

I don't remember the first one being this goofy.

Wrong.

The first one was that goofy. Enjoyable, but I still think it was a little too goofy. Just my personal opinion.

This viewing, the hilarious thing about the protagonists finding a truck full of Sno Balls and Tallahassee throwing a fit because he wanted a Twinkie is my own personal experience. When Hostess temporarily went out of business in 2012, I went to the Hostess Store in my city. The only thing remaining on the shelf were the Sno Balls. People heard it was closing, rushed to the store and picked it clean before I got there. Except for the Sno Balls. There were plenty of those.

Hostess is back, of course, but the Hostess Store is still closed. Sad.

I literally cried on the way home from the store, with my Sno Balls. Totally not kidding.

Films watched: 32

Scream 3: Inspired to watch this by the recent review of the second movie on The Show. This one was... unnecessary.

The retcon cramming the villain back into the first movie creates a plot hole - did the villain also show the footage to Mrs. Loomis?

It just didn't have the charm of the first two movies, though the character arc for Sidney going from recluse to a normal life was pretty good.

I thought Sidney no-selling catastrophic injuries in Scream 4 was ridiculous, and while it is not as bad here she does do some no-selling after a severe beating. I don't care who you are, man or woman, young or old, if you take that kind of a beating you're not going to be no-selling it like nothing happened a few minutes later.

I don't think this could be made today, in the aftermath of Harvey Weinstein and the "MeToo" movement. The stuff about Sidney's mom being basically gang raped was REALLY uncomfortable to watch, even if it was just exposition.

Films Watched: 33

Wes Craven's New Nightmare: this movie was way ahead of its time. Craven can't act for shit, but he sure can come up with a fresh idea for a sequel

The Hangover Part III: youngest asked to watch this. It's wayyyy better than the second one, but that one is shit. Some solid comedy and John Goodman is great. Much more of a crime/adventure film than the others. Decent but not good.

Features: 145

Shorts: 15

Documentaries: 10

Rewatches: 6

Christmas Chronicles: to show my girlfriend I wasn't a complete Scrooge, we checked this out. Kurt Russell is awesome. The kids are alright. It's another dead dad movie. It's basically a Hallmark film with a huge budget, but Russell sells it hard.

Features: 146

Documentaries: 10

On 11/24/2019 at 12:24 PM, teenalphabro said:

Mission Impossible: Fallout: It's another one of those, basically. But, hey, I liked it.

For any faults it has, the Bathroom Fight Scene is totally one of the best fight scenes of the 2010s.

The Empire Strikes Back: Original trilogy, this is the best. All of the actors are on point and are allowed to be their characters to the fullest. And, when things might start to get boring, here comes Billy Dee Williams to shoot the film up with adrenaline.

Aladdin: The animated version. It's a great film from the Disney Renaissance but you can also totally see the first signs of what is going to lead to it's decline: Big name actors in sidekick roles that are designed to overshadow the story. Robin Williams makes it work.

Trick'R'Treat: I have somehow missed this one for years. One of the better horror anthologies I've seen with some twists that I didn't see coming.

Return of the Jedi: First things first: Of all the special editions, this one likely made out the worst. The CGI they added is very dated, even with getting updated in the 2000s.That said, the film works. It is much more of an action film than Empire with the third act basically being three different kinds of action film at once.

Films: 155
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

Frozen 2: The reviews I've seen so far were pretty free with their hate boners, but I enjoyed this. I only saw the first film once, and I liked it well enough. Same here, and it's the characters investing me. The plot was ehhh and I had more than a few questions, but I really wasn't pinning all my hopes and dreams for this movie to change my life. For what it's worth, I dug it. Olaf is annoying tho.

Frozen: Frozen is not quite as perfect of a film as when I first saw it but it is still a great film.

The Muppet Movie: It's pretty damn good!

Frozen 2: It was fun if you don't think too much about it. Some of the songs were on the same level of the original film but others are pretty ho-hum. As Donovan said, Olaf is annoying.

Knives Out: I went into the film expecting a lot of things. I got a film that was so well-crafted that kept me guessing and I had no clue what was coming next constantly. Everyone puts in great performances. I'm not going to call it the best film of 2019 but I feel like anything that I see after this point is going to have a hard time surpassing it. Looking forward to a second viewing so I can try and notice all the moving parts.

Films: 159
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

The Reluctant Dragon: It's billed as being an animated film about a dragon and is, instead, a film about how cartoons are made. It also has a couple of unfortinate moments but it's okay. Nothing special.

Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit: The rare sequel that is better than the original. It's also a very different film than the original. As is, I love it and I haven't watched it on Disney+ yet so, here we are!

101 Dalmatians: Good stuff: Most of the human actors are great, especially Glenn Close who is a hoot! Bad stuff: The dogs.

Films: 162
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

Final Ride/Heks: features for the festival

Clockwork Orange Country: a documentary about the So Cal punk scene of the late 70s early 80s. Mostly an oral history of a specific club. Not bad. Not great.

Features: 148

Documentaries: 11

Space Mutiny, I Accuse My Parents, Werewolf, Cave Dwellers, Laserblast, Mitchell: I was watching the MST3k Turkey Day Marathon yesterday. It was a good use of the day and my first time doing a Turkey Day marathon since I got to spend the holiday alone.

Films: 162
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

The Hunger Games: It's a good film and Jennifer Lawrence shows off why she would become a star. There are times that the shaky cam just fails the movie though.

Star Wars: Episode 1: The Phantom Menace: There are elements that work but there are just as many that don't. In the end, it's an okay film but pales in comparison to the originals.

Thor: It's okay but compared to the Thor we would even have a movie later in The Avengers, he's just so humorless.

The Dark Crystal: A friend wanted to watch it. I'm still not a big fan but, ehh.

The Babysitter: It's a gory horror comedy that has very few lulls. I had fun!

Films: 165
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:
Repeats: 8

I'm planning on re-watching it soon, but I've always been a defender of the very first Thor. This was back at a time when we were still expecting CBMs to cop out and compromise some of the more intensely OTT characters, and I was delighted that Thor's power level was kept in tact. I thought, even back then, that Loki was an excellent antagonist (the scene where he confronts Odin about his origins was wonderfully Shakespearean) with excellent acting. Hiddleston never played him more outraged. Hemsworth was awesome as the arrogant, angry Thor but his character development was strong. Then scene where he slams the cup down and Jane tells him that's not okay to do, he just gets over it. I always thought that was a great scene of anti-toxic masculinity. I also really liked the score. 

Again, I've not seen it in a while, but as someone who's never ever read a Thor comic, I was so supremely impressed with the very first one that the subsequent two never affected me on the same level. 

Knives Out: I'd been yearning to see this since first seeing the trailer and finally did last night. It's very solid, with a terrific cast and a clever eye on every whodunit trope in the genre. I've decided I'll see Lakeith Stanfield in anything, as he's never not awesome even in a supporting role like this. Daniel Craig is wild as Det. Benoit Blanc, and I hope we see that character again in future adventures. Armas, Evans, Shannon, Curtis and all the others are equally superb. Rian Johnson has been described as someone who takes genre expectations and flips them on their heads, and he does that here in spades. That served as both a pro and a con, because you're being led one way which was so against the lead-in with the trailers that it was actually a little disappointing for the most part in how it wasn't a "traditional" mystery. Without spoiling anything, things turn around in the third act. The bulk of the second act had really affected my engagement, but all the way through it's an enjoyable watch that I'd totally see again.

The Sword in the Stone: I remember thinking on this one fondly when I was a kid. There are moments I enjoy (The Wizard Duel is a terrific sequence) but as far as climaxes go, the film doesn't really have one. Still, it's not bad.

Return to Oz: Premium grade nightmare fuel. I liked it when I was a kid, I still like it but Jesus Fuck is this full of scenes that still creep me out.

Films: 167
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

Moonlight: Been on my to-watch list for years. This was one of those films that I recognized was very well crafted and written as I was watching, but the hype was conflicting with my viewing experience. However, after I finished and got away from it for five minutes, I thought back on it and wanted to cry. It's a very beautiful movie that's supremely affecting once it's all over.

Rambo 5: This movie is self-indulgent narcissism to the point of hilarity. I laughed out loud at the Mortal Kombat pit fatality.

I'm sorry, but...

Spoiler

if a paramilitary force from a Mexican drug cartel is going to invade US soil to attack an American citizen, that's going to set off a war between the US and Mexico. Way to go, Rambo.

This movie is REALLY bad. Don't watch it, unless you're doing it to rip on it.

Films Watched: 35

Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny: I watched the Rifftrax Live version which has a Jack and the Beanstalk film in the middle instead of Thumbellina. It's just as nonsensical as the other version and somehow both better and worse.

Star Wars: Episode 2: Attack of the Clones: It's two movies. One is about a young woman who is slowly worn down by a man who has violent tendencies and has basically spent years obsessing over her. The other part is Obi-Wan Kenobi: Space Detective. The Latter is a much better film that I hope is what we get from the Disney+ film.

The Black Hole: Huh. It's to be commended for being so out there but what we have is a Disney film from the late 70s that is trying to be both Star Trek, 2001, and Buck Rogers with some goofy robot stuff. Visually, it's interesting enough.

Films: 169
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

Goat: It's a film about toxic masculinity and the Greek Fraternity system. It's a film. Not sure if I ever started to enjoy it at any point.

Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2: So, the first half is all recap of the original film but the second half is pure hammy hold!

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: There's a lot more world building but it suffers from existing as set-up for the next film. Still, it has it's merits.

Films: 172
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted: