Every Film You've Watched in 2019

Missy

10 hours ago, The Master said:

No I have not. Is there a streaming service where I can do so?

I know you can rent it off of Amazon. The problen is there aren't many streaming services that do foreign language films. If you have a library card, your library might do Hoopla which does appear to have it.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CB4 and Fear of a Black Hat:

Both of these are parodies/mockumentaries of the early 90s Hip-Hop scene, specifically NWA, although FOBH gets into other rappers as well. They're both practically the same movie. CB4 has more comedic non-sequiters while FOBH sticks to the mockumentary style. Both were amusing. I might prefer FOBH because of its consistency. 

Friday the 13th: legitimately good. A half smart screenplay and some really clever filmmaking. Adrienne King and Betsy Palmer FUCKING KILL IT. Great reminder that this series started off as one of the best slashers of all-time.

Friday the 13th Part 2: Amy Steel doesn't have the line delivery of the previous film's final girl, but she does have the intensity. Her character is written awesomely as an intelligent and resourceful badass. Sack-face Jason is a favourite of mine, but he isn't really Jason here. He comes across as ineffective at times. Even doing a pratfall or two. Fun. The gore is amped up a bit and spread out. Nothing as spectacular as the first movie's decapitation, but better across the whole film.

Features: 16

Shorts: 0

Documentaries: 1

Rewatches: 0

The Matrix: Twenty years later and this holds up amazingly well. Yeah, some things don't make sense if you look too hard, but The Wachowskis layered this film with so much subtext. Forget the Alice in Wonderland stuff that's pointed out; what they're saying about humanity, the world, and even themselves is brilliant. And they did it all in an ultra-stylish, revolutionary movie that netted ~$400 million.

Star Trek (2009): I adore this movie. It's a loving recreation of what's come before, and goes out of its goddamn way to respect every iteration of previous Star Trek series and movies. It would have been so easy to make this a hard reboot, but they crafted their tale around an idea that bridged realities just to make sure nothing from the past was erased. The cast is perfect, especially Pine. He is idea people have of Kirk (sexed up) mixed with the actual bookworm he was in TOS. He's brilliant, yet using fighting, drinking, and sex to make up for the loss he feels in life. So good!

Good Will Hunting: Robin Williams is at his best here, and absolutely deserved the Oscar he won for Best Supporting Actor. He instantly disappears into the role of Sean. His rage is barely kept in check, and his depression is honest and never played for laughs. Once or twice he's able to turn on the manic Robin Williams-ness, but otherwise he's a world-weary widower without self-direction. The rest of the movie, though, I wasn't really digging this time around. It often seemed choppy and uneven. But, the scene where Chuckie tells Will how he feels about Will's gifts was a great moment.

Prisoners: Not the first time I've seen it, but I was choked up to the point of tears on this rewatch. Hugh Jackman is one of the best rage performers on the scene right now. His performance in this and Logan really compliment each other, but he's much more vulnerable and earthly and real. It's a perfect performance, but I couldn't look away from Jake Gyllenhall. Everything about him that's been said before in this movie, from the blinking to the dogged determination...this is a fucking film.

Serenity: Saw this a few weeks back when the hype train was around it. Easily the worst movie I've seen in a long time in terms of execution. The big twist is revealed halfway through the movie, and is laugh-inducing.

The Hangover: watched this with the youngest today at his request. It holds up. Funny as fuck. Beautifully made.

Chowboys/Maw/Hammer Down/Split Decision/Time Heals Now Wounds/Bitten/Road Trash/The Bloody Ballad of Squirt Reynolds/Dawn of Man: shorts for the festival

Features: 16

Shorts: 9

Kindergarten Cop: This is so much better than it has any right to be. It starts out as a typical Arnie movie, but quickly becomes a fun, heartfelt drama with moments of family friendly comedy and light romance. When I saw the nearly two-hour run time I almost turned away, thinking it might be bloated, but that turned out to not be a concern. Every minute is used wisely, and the whole thing is bookended by two solid action beats.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Kindergarten Cop: This is so much better than it has any right to be. It starts out as a typical Arnie movie, but quickly becomes a fun, heartfelt drama with moments of family friendly comedy and light romance. When I saw the nearly two-hour run time I almost turned away, thinking it might be bloated, but that turned out to not be a concern. Every minute is used wisely, and the whole thing is bookended by two solid action beats.

I'll never get over the fact that there are areas in Silent Hill 1 that are directly influenced by the school from this movie. 

The Blue Door/The World Over/Binge/The Whistler/ Gridlock/Milk: The last of the shorts for the festival

Happy Death Day: watched this with the boys last night. Pretty solid. I had a lot of fun. It takes a reprehensible character and makes you love her by the end, which is pretty difficult to do if you aren't Bill Murray and it isn't a comedy.

Features: 17

Shorts: 15

The Terminator: Still holds up. The stop-motion animation was great. CGI is more fluid but stop-motion has a certain charm.

Happy death Day 2U: I liked the original. This one was way too silly. It just wasn't nearly as good as the first one.

And the after-credits scene...

Spoiler

They put sorority girl into a death repeat? Ethical considerations aside, and the fact that an experiment like this would never be done because of the damage that you could do to space-time, you can't find a more suitable candidate? Like, oh, I don't know, the evil serial killer? I mean, bring in his victims' families and they get to kill him in an infinite loop.

Films watched: 7

On 2/21/2019 at 12:29 AM, Dread said:

It takes a reprehensible character and makes you love her by the end, which is pretty difficult to do if you aren't Bill Murray and it isn't a comedy.

Yes! The evolution of that character was the great thing about the first movie. And the actress made it believable. Jessica Rothe was just a blast to watch. This was a really good character arc.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: This is the two-part pilot for the 1979 TV show. A fun mix of Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica, but very dated.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: Even better the second time around. And I spotted a second Stan Lee cameo. He's one of the pedestrians who walk past / over Miles and Peter as they lay in the intersection.

Terminator 2:Judgment Day.

It always bugged me that John Connor was WAY too old to have been born in 1985. That makes him a year younger than my older son is now. Nope. Even when I was 17 years old, watching that movie for the first time, that bugged me. The numbers just don’t add up.

Now, it could be argued it does not take place in 1991, and takes place a few years later. But the T-800 explains that in three years Cyberdyne becomes the chief defense contractor, then stealth bombers go automated, then Skynet becomes self aware.

Which I can buy all taking place in 1997 but that line of dialogue places it no later than 1994. Unless the T-800 was lying, which makes no sense in the context of that movie. The nuclear war is repeatedly established in 1997.

That still places John at 9 or 10 years old when T2 takes place, not 13.

Films Watched: 8