Every Film You've Watched in 2019

Missy

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 5000 fingers of Dr.T   I first heard about this movie when David Gerrold listed it as one of his favorite movies. I also saw a preview on Svengoolie. When my library celebrated Dr. Seuss I decided it was time to give it a try.  I can see why this movie was critically panned. It's amazing!!! Far and away, the best live action Dr. Seuss movie. The subversive tone of the movie along with the prankster element of the main character is something I have only seen in Calvin and Hobbes comics. Svengoolie pointed out that the film has been heavily edited because Dr. Seuss had even more subversive and satirical elements that were too risque for its time. 

the 5000 fingers of dr. t gif

how many mothers walked out of the theater in disgust with a display of such violence?

I love how the sets remind me of the Cabaret of Dr. Caligari, while at other times appear to be something that only a child could think of. I agree with other online reviewers that this movie had influence on the Simpsons. Which makes viewers wonder if that is the origin of the yellow hand hats. Anyone who had to practice a musical instrument will take a special enjoyment of this film. 

Anna and the Apocalypse: If Shaun of the Dead and High School Musical had a baby this is what it would look like. Such a weird movie. Most of the musical numbers are catchy, but so much of the story happens off screen that it took me out at times. 

Captain Marvel: It wasn't bad by any means, but really generic. It is the color by numbers of Marvel films. The fact that it had a female lead is the only thing different about it. 

Friday the 13th Part 3: we watched the first few minutes in 3D but it was awful so we switched. Other than a few 3D gags and the first appearance of the hockey mask, this is the first real stinker of the series. Right now, I'm putting it at second worse of them all. But I'll have to reorder when I'm done the rewatches. If it wasn't for a date, it would have been immensely boring.

Features: 22

Shorts: 15

Documentaries: 2

Rewatches: 2

Witchcraft Through the Ages: this is a radical re-cut of Haxan. I've amended my count because these two films are basically documentaries rather than cinematic features. Also: review forthcoming.

Features: 21

Documentaries: 4

Reign of the Supermen: It diverges from the comics in several major ways but makes sense given the universe. One quibble:

Spoiler

Hank Henshaw’s hate for Superman is not established very well. The comics did it much better.

Films Watched: 11

19 hours ago, S-T said:

Oh, in Reign of the Supermen, Hillary Clinton is President and Lex Luthor is Donald Trump. "Make Metropolis Safe Again."

OK then.

Image result for nicolas cage laughing gif 

Reminds me of how British shoe bomber Richard Reid looked like Jack O Halloran's portrayal of Non.

The 7 faces of Dr. Lao - To enjoy this movie I had to remember how @Dan and @The Master handled the Talons of Weng Chiang, (Bigger on the Inside Episode 53) cringing at how different cultural sensitivities have changed but don't give it so much power that it ruins the rest of the movie. Ironically once you get over that I found that a lot of the antagonists (and even a couple of the protagonists) were racist, learned better in the end. 

Some Mike style fan theories I came up with

Dr. Lao is a Time Lord - It is mentioned his circus is bigger on the inside and he is over 7,000 years old. 

Dr. Lao taught the Genie from I Dream of Genie her magic- Barbara Eden plays the female lead.

The lead antagonist is real estate tycoon Clint Stark, possibly the true ancestry of Tony Stark, despite what Howard said in Agent Carter.

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter: a huge step up from part 3. This is the first step in what would become to the proper modern Jason film. Still, he runs in this one. Really young Corey Feldman is great. Fucking Crispin Glover is a motherfucking revelation in this:

giphy.gif

Good shit. 

Features: 22

What's Love Got to Do With It: Starring Angela Bassett and Lawrence Fishburne as Tina and Ike Turner.

Well rendered, at times horrifyingly brutal depiction of the Ike and Tina careers with a reliably terrific performance from Angela Bassett and a superbly malevolent performance from Fishburne, who's become one of my favorite actors. Bassett's trademark guns were often times distracting however. She looked as though she could've pulped Ike any time. Seriously, she looked like Sandy Cheeks.

Image result for sandy cheeks muscle

Us: Darker, bloodier and creepier than "Get Out". I was digging it well enough, but the ending left me pretty haunted in a pure "Twilight Zone" kinda way. The image of Lupita Nyong'o slowly creeping with that fire-poker is iconic. Winston Duke is also great as a suburban dad totally out of his depth. 

Captain Marvel: not the best of Marvel, but better than most of it. Sits at the top of the middle tier of films. Brie Larson was great. Jude Law was great. I fucking loved Sam Jackson in this, which is really saying something. A bunch of fun. I'm no longer interested in post-credits sequences. I can't remember the last time one was worth watching.

The Hangover: watched it again last night when my boys had a sleepover.

Features: 23

Rewatches: 3

Saw Captain Marvel a second time with my brother. Had a long discussion on it afterwards.

...I think it's the MCU's weakest film. We went by each and every movie, and there was always something the others had over CM, whether it was tightness of themes, better script or compelling performances. CM isn't awful but it's really not very strong in comparison. Really suffers from the five writers and two directors with no cemented thematic core that personifies the film aside from the feminist politics which come off superficial at best and pandering at worst. 

I hate saying all of that.