Every Film You've Watched in 2019

Missy

17 hours ago, Dread said:

Reservoir Dogs: this was the next Tarantino film I watched with my sons. It doesn't clip by like it used to, and feels a little bloated at times, but I'll be damned if the relationship between Mr. White and Mr. Orange isn't the most wholesome and beautiful and non-toxically masculine thing I've ever seen in a crime film.

I've been rewatching it in 20-minute chunks, and that got me thinking Reservoir Dogs would make for a great one-season streaming show. With 10 characters (including Nash and Holdaway), one could get a solid 12- to 13-episode series out of it. Each episode would focus on one of the guys, and we'd have plenty of room for the Tarantino non-linear storytelling.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, The Master said:

I've been rewatching it in 20-minute chunks, and that got me thinking Reservoir Dogs would make for a great one-season streaming show. With 10 characters (including Nash and Holdaway), one could get a solid 12- to 13-episode series out of it. Each episode would focus on one of the guys, and we'd have plenty of room for the Tarantino non-linear storytelling.

The Mr. Orange reveal episode would be a headfuck.

Shazam: One of the most fun Comic Book movies I've seen in years.

Oblivion: A kind of silly Space Western from the 90s made by Full Moon. Fun enough.

Clue: One of my favorite films of all time. I could literally watch it whenever and enjoy myself.

Scream: One of my favorite films of all time. I could literally watch it whenever and enjoy myself.

Troll 2: I figured we needed one real stinker last night and damn if this isn't a great choice for that slot. Still a So Bad It's Good kind of film!

Films: 40
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted: 2

Crocodile Dundee: Davin has wanted to watch this for a while and I figured if I'm going to get him to watch any of the other stuff I recommend, I better cave in. It was harmless enough. You know, except the racism and transphobia from the 80s. But you'll find that almost anywhere. There's a few decent lines, and Paul Hogan is a pretty compelling lead. Linda Kozlowski...phew! I have never realized what a babe she was in this one. 

Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI: the next date night movie. I haven't seen this probably since I was twelve, but I've always conflated it with part seven. This is in the running for the best Friday film. This is where it goes cartoonishly violent and goofy, but this movie embraces the goofiness like no other film I've ever seen. I mean, except comedies. I had a blast watching this, and not just because of the company.

Features: 29

Shorts: 15

Documentaries: 4

Rewatches: 4

1 hour ago, Dread said:

Crocodile Dundee: Davin has wanted to watch this for a while and I figured if I'm going to get him to watch any of the other stuff I recommend, I better cave in. It was harmless enough. You know, except the racism and transphobia from the 80s. But you'll find that almost anywhere. There's a few decent lines, and Paul Hogan is a pretty compelling lead. Linda Kozlowski...phew! I have never realized what a babe she was in this one.

She was a major crush of mine as a kid. The thong scene helped.

Shazam: this was really fun. I just thought about this as I started typing, but this might be the only superhero movie with a great third act. Like, a consistent, solid superhero film. 

Features: 30

Locke: Tom Hardy plays a man whose life has been turned upside down, and he's doing everything he can to set it right. But he's stuck in a car for 90, real-time minutes and can only do so much. Also: Hardy is the only actor we see on screen from start to finish. And he's fucking brilliant. The subtle shifts in personality and tone as he talks to various people on the phone, as well as Hardy's ability to show Locke's every-changing mental state, demonstrate his pure talent. Sit down. Turn the lights off. And allow yourself to be absorbed into a 90-minute sliver of this man's life.

Kill Bill vol 1: movie night with the youngest. This did not need t be its own movie. It is easily twice as long as it needs to be. The whole exercise is a bloated ridiculous mess. It's still kind of fun at times though. Probably Tarantino's best soundtrack.

Features: 31

Captain Marvel: Second viewing, this time with Shana. Some of the problem I had with the first viewing worked themselves out, but seeing it through Shana's eyes was interesting. She pointed out narrative problems I didn't quite see, and it made me realize there's a longer version of this movie out there. It seems like 15-20 minutes were cut from scenes with the Kree.

Teen Titans Go To The Movies: Considering the series is not exactly a work of art, this was still pretty fun and a lot better than it had any right to be.

Despicable Me: Considering the films that came after it, not that bad. A little by the books but still got more than a couple of laughs.

The Mighty Duck. D2: The Mighty Ducks, D3: The Mighty Ducks: I know nothing about Hockey and yet, this is one of my favorite trilogies of all time. It's also a textbook example of diminishing returns but that's beside the fact.

Films: 48

23 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

The Mighty Duck. D2: The Mighty Ducks, D3: The Mighty Ducks: I know nothing about Hockey and yet, this is one of my favorite trilogies of all time. It's also a textbook example of diminishing returns but that's beside the fact.

Not textbook example of anything.  D2 is the superior Mighty Ducks movie.  It gets rid of all the useless kids and replaces them with more memorable players.  Except Guy. Who is still there. For some reason.  And you get the brilliance that is Wolf "The Dentist" Stansson. 

Love, Simon: Been meaning to check this out for forever, as well as the book Simon vs. the Homo Sapien Agenda. I was a little weary of the poster which looked to implied a goofy comedy, but I totally loved this. It was effortlessly sincere and all the characters were realistic. The ending was spoiled for be about a year ago in knowing that Keiynon Lonsdale was in it and the extent to his part, but I still welled up in the third act. Great film.

Finally got around to watching Batman v. Superman and Justice League. 

Spoiler

The former was actually quite enjoyable, except for Lex Eisenberg. 

JL, however, was a complete, rushed mess. Like, if it weren't for the fact that I've watched Dragonball: Evolution, then JL would be the most rushed, cram-everything-we-can-into-this film I've ever seen. Nothing is developed at all. People are angry at one another for no reason, and then buddy-buddy in literally the next scene. Steppenwolf is as vanilla a villain as I've ever seen, and gets squashed in like four minutes when Supes comes back. And the whole movie I assumed was to set up Darkseid eventually coming to Earth, but then the teaser at the end hints at the Legion of Doom.

Just a total, disorganized mess.

Step Brothers: kids movie night. This is pretty funny. Not as good on a second viewing.

Die Hard: I stand by this being totally overrated. I wouldn't even put it in the top 5 action movies of 1988. It's decent.

Scary Stories: A documentary on the SS to Tell in the Dark book series.

Features: 33

Documentaries: 5

Scream 2: Friends and I had an impromptu game/movie night. They asked me to pick a film. I got impatient about waiting for Halloween and they accidentally picked this over Showgirls and Jupiter Ascending. Always will love this, even if I know I'm gonna be watching it again later this year.

Game Night: Wow, we all totally slept on this one. Outside of being genuinely hilarious, it's also a great action movie at times. There's a wonderful single shot sequence that must have taken weeks to choreograph!

Love, Simon: Teenage Will needed this movie. Hit me right in the chest!

Blockers: Massively surprised by how much I liked this. Its a sex comedy about teenagers and their parents and yet the kids are always treated with respect while the parents are actually pretty sympathetic despite trying to interfere with their daughters's sex lives. Also, John Cena is constantly surprising me with every non-action movie he does.

Tag: It's an alright movie that then tries to go for being emotional in the last few minutes. It's okay, nothing special.

Films: 53