Episode 1063

RSS

After the slow-moving visual spectacle that was Star Trek: The Motion Picture, the guys spend nearly three hours gushing over the epic that is Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Themes of life, death, aging, and rebirth are explored, as are thoughts of space-flutes and keytars. (Notes: Guard your ears around 1:56:10. This is also a repackaged version of The Edge of Forever 48.) [ 3:04:20 || 90.2 MB ]

Haven't finished but three thoughts

Electric whistles may play at a range of frequencies more inclusive to all federation species.

A class m planet is about size, rotation, orbit, distance from the sun etc. Without those things retaining an atmosphere suitable for life is impossible. So they can't just use any old rock in space, it's got to have all these elements but be unpopulated.

The code they use is dumb as hell. I figured they should just say "Mr Scott says itll take 12 hours" and Kirk would know that means 6 because of Scottys rule about exaggerating repair times.

https://youtu.be/8xRqXYsksFg

David kinda pays off next film but his death is absolutely integral to 6. If this was all we got I'd resent him more but it's clearly a part of Kirks long term shift from Klingon adversary to Klingon racist. Which is positive because it's resolved properly.

To my mind whilst you called this a trilogy 6 is just as much a part of it all, calling back to those moments as well as the Excelsior. 

I wonder if knowing how the promotions and commands played out later they would have been better off putting Sulu on the Reliant over Chekov. He was definitely there in Space Seed and allows that growth to the point where hes the Captain of Excelsior in 6.