Episode 50

RSS

"Captain! There be whales here!" Those five little words perfectly sum up the whole of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Listen in as Dan, Dave, and Mike have a blast talking through what is the strangest but also the funniest entry in the Star Trek movie catalog. Also: Please subscribe to Dan and Mike's new podcast, 12 Minutes to Midnight: The Watchmen Podcast.

RSS: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/12minutes/rss.xml

iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/12-minutes-to-midnight-the-watchmen-podcast/id1481476911

[ 3:09:15 || 91.3 MB ]

I was attempting the justify the unified theory of related characters but then thought, what about actors like Jeffry Combs who play roles across multiple races? Surely they can't be related?

But perhaps Combsian DNA isn't random. You see, in TNGs The Chase we see that all humanoid life shares a common ancester, so maybe that DNA reoccurs across the species, in ferengi, andorian and Vorta. We know the founders manipulated the Vorta dna. And of course, we know the common ancestor evolves into the Founders, since they are both played by Salome Jens.

I'd like my no-prize please.

I can't call IV a great film just because it's so gentle. I like it's placement in the trilogy and the fact that it's not another war film (albeit it's the second film plotted around a giant mysterious probe). It's never going to have the punch of II or VI. I'm pretty much with Dan on this, it's ok but unless it's personal to you that's all it is.

I know you guys said you liked how mysterious the Probe was but there is a novelisation sequel, unsurprisingly called Star Trek: Probe which explores the origins of the probe and it's makers. It's got ok reviews despite a troubled production, I recall finding the audiobook read by James Doohan quite atmospheric with it's used of whale song and music. Most of the book is about the Federation in a race/collaboration with the Romulans to learn the language of the probe and journey to it's origins.

For some reason I had that one and the audiobook of Relic, read by Levar Burton rather than Doohan.

1 hour ago, Stavros said:

I was attempting the justify the unified theory of related characters but then thought, what about actors like Jeffry Combs who play roles across multiple races? Surely they can't be related?

But perhaps Combsian DNA isn't random. You see, in TNGs The Chase we see that all humanoid life shares a common ancester, so maybe that DNA reoccurs across the species, in ferengi, andorian and Vorta. We know the founders manipulated the Vorta dna. And of course, we know the common ancestor evolves into the Founders, since they are both played by Salome Jens.

I'd like my no-prize please.

That some awesome use of Star Trek continuity right there. Also: Post of the Day! :bowdown:

• 2 weeks later...

IV was the first Trek movie I saw in the theater, so it has a special place for me. And while it would have hurt the tone of the movie, I agree with @The Master that it would have been hilarious to watch Spock drop totally deadpan F bombs. Under modern standards, you could make it PG-13 and he could drop just one.