Episode 00 - Pilot

RSS

Before the official launch of 12 Minutes to Midnight: The Watchmen Podcast, Dan Toland and Michael David Sims take some time to discuss the origins of Watchmen, how they came to the series, the portions they've skipped over in the past, and Rorschach's status as a hero. [ 45:38 || 22.4 MB ]

It's very possible we will be covering that material at some point. I can't speak with any authority on this, but I think the idea is that the first 13 episodes will be weekly (covering the 12 issues and the movie), and then if we do Before Watchmen, The Button, and Doomsday Clock the show would take a less-regular schedule.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you guys very much for doing this. I just sat down to actually read the book itself for the first time. I loved the movie and always had a lot of respect for the breadth and quality of story in comic books, but just never was a comic book guy myself. But I am really enjoying going through it with you guys and I love living at a time where stuff like this podcast exist.

16 hours ago, escailer said:

Thank you guys very much for doing this. I just sat down to actually read the book itself for the first time. I loved the movie and always had a lot of respect for the breadth and quality of story in comic books, but just never was a comic book guy myself. But I am really enjoying going through it with you guys and I love living at a time where stuff like this podcast exist.

If I may ask, how did you discover the podcast?

• 1 month later...

Just thought of a theory.

No clue of the timeline of events, so I could be off base, but something on TV (no spoilers) recently was very reminiscent of the conclusion to Alan Moore’s “Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow” that ended the run of the Silver & Bronze Age/Pre-Crisis Superman.

Knowing that Moore couldn’t use the Charlton characters in the way he wanted to (killing them off, changing their status quo’s, etc), and that he very enthusiastically wanted to write the final Pre-Crisis Superman story (literally begged and threatened the editor to give him the assignment), makes me wonder if the entire scope of the story (slaughtering many of his supporting cast and villains) and Superman giving up his powers at the end in favor of a traditional suburban family life with Lois was his way of saying FUCK YOU to DC not letting him play in the Charlton sandbox.  Especially with the last line in the introduction being “This is an imaginary tale...aren’t they all?”

Of course like I said, the timing of everything could be off, but IDK, thinking about it, it does seem like a good subversive way to stick it to an editorial mandate on his opus, plus the story, despite closing out the first volume of Superman and the Pre-Crisis run of Action, obviously has never been considered a cannon Superman story, so it existing as an “imaginary story” could be Moore’s way of expressing disappointment that Watchmen couldn’t just be an imaginary story in the Charlton Universe.

Anyway, probably over thinking things, but hey that’s what these mediums (podcast and social networking platforms) are for ;)

28 minutes ago, Donomark said:

I'm forever skeptical when people assign a "Fuck You" sign to Alan Moore's opinions about anything. I just don't buy him as nearly vindictive, mean-spirited or petty as a lot of fanboys seemingly need him to be, because he grew jaded with the comics industry faster than they did.

LOL!  Fair enough.

Still not sure what’s more polarizing though, that ending among older Superman fans, or fans of the TV show, and the sequence referenced.  Well, there’s still potential for the latter to get turned on its head a bit though...fingers and toes crossed ;)