Mercy Reef

Missy

The WB Makes Aquaman Official

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

November 13, 2005

The Hollywood Reporter says Smallville executive producers Miles Millar and Alfred Gough are developing Aquaman for The WB:

The new project is envisioned as a contemporary reinterpretation of the DC Comics character who lives in the deep sea and enlists sharks and other oceanic creatures to help him in his crime-fighting endeavors.

The new-model Aquaman will be a man in his early twenties. As is the case on "Smallville," which tells the story of Clark Kent's teenage years and his coming-of-age as Superman, there won't be any presto-chango into costumes or other superhero accessories when his superpowers are invoked, a WB Network spokesman said.

The October 20 episode of "Smallville," titled "Aqua," featured the Kent character encountering a mysterious young swimmer and do-gooder dubbed "A.C.," played by Alan Ritchson.

The WB spokesman said that episode, which ranked as "Smallville's" most-watched of the season with nearly 6.5 million viewers, was not meant to be a template for the "Aquaman" project and that "Smallville" executive producers Miles Millar and Alfred Gough would search for a new actor for the lead role.

The Aquaman pilot tentatively is set to shoot early next year in Florida.

• 3 months later...

Ving Rhames has been cast as McCaffery, "a lighthouse keeper who serves as mentor to series lead A.C. Curry (played by Will Toale) in the Warner Bros. TV project" SHH reports.

Also, Denise Quinones (Miss Universe 2001) will play Rachel Starling, a fighter pilot / love interest for A.C.

The CW network's untitled Aquaman project has netted a new leading man. In a major recasting, Justin Hartley has been tapped to play the title role in the drama pilot from Warner Bros. Television. Hartley replaces Will Toale, who originally was cast in the role when the pilot was ordered by WB Network.

• 3 weeks later...
Phillips Dives Into Aquaman

AquamanTV.com reported that Lou Diamond Phillips will play Tom Curry, father to hero Arthur Curry, in The CW's upcoming Aquaman pilot. Tom Curry is an officer with the Coast Guard, the site reported.

Miami Today, meanwhile, reported that the pilot will begin shooting this week in the Miami area. Scenes are to be shot at Greenwich Studios, with exterior footage shot in Coconut Grove, the newspaper reported.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

What I enjoy most about Smallville is the interplay and revisionist attitude they take towards DC. I love the little jabs of names that pop up and characters from the comics continuity (like the upsoming Green Arrow) guest starring. But seriously, fucking Aquaman?!

How lame of a character is Aquaman? I'm glad they didn't pick this up so that an endless barrage of ridicule delivered to this WB abomination was cut off at the head.

I would love a Nightwing show. Since they're so against Batman/Bruce Wayne in the Smallville universe why not have a Dick Grayson show with only slight nods to Batman. They can easily do it without mentioning Batman or even Bruce Wayne. Set it in Bludhaven and only hint at the fact that he used to be a sidekick. Adopt some second tier Batman villains into the piece (like Firefly, throw in some current Titans continuity like Roy Harper and Starfire), make it dark as all get out and you have a sweet sweet show.

I wrote this elsewhere, but here's how I would handle a Nightwing movie. Change "movie" to "TV show" and the premise stands:

[it] could be done in such a way that they don't even have to directly reference Batman. The movie could start with Dick, in a huff, storming out of the mansion. Toss in Alfred (Michael Gough or Michael Caine) trying to convince "Master Grayson" not to leave (maybe Alfred could be holding the famous red and green outfit), and everyone will instantly understand that Batman and Robin had a major falling out. From there the movie would be about Dick trying to find himself: he's out on his own for the first time, and is trying to step out of his "father's" shadow. He needs to forge his own path as a man and as a hero.

Fact of the matter is this: Batman cannot be in a Nightwing film. If he is, he instantly overshadows everyone. This is the reason Batman was never once directly mentioned in the Teen Titans cartoon: Robin is a leader... until Batman is a around. Then he's a sidekick. So the producers (and this is on record) made the decision to never show Batman, because they wanted to showcase Robin's ability to lead. Same thing here; Dick cannot be the sidekick in his own movie.

Aquaman is a hit--and this time iTunes, not Vincent Chase, can take credit.

The TV pilot based on the all-wet DC Comics superhero was one of the iTunes Music Store's most-played clips Tuesday, the same day the rejected series became available for download on the online music/video purveyor.

go here for the whole article.

What I enjoy most about Smallville is the interplay and revisionist attitude they take towards DC. I love the little jabs of names that pop up and characters from the comics continuity (like the upsoming Green Arrow) guest starring. But seriously, fucking Aquaman?!

How lame of a character is Aquaman? I'm glad they didn't pick this up so that an endless barrage of ridicule delivered to this WB abomination was cut off at the head.

I'll be the first to asmit I think Aquaman is a lame character, I've always been partial to Marvel's version (Namor), but I downloaded the pilot anyway and I have to say it was decent. Not great by any means and I though Ving Rhames was way off base but it was entertaining. The show seemed to have a good amount of promise, it seemed like it was going to explore the mythology and mystery behind the Bermuda Triangle and the legend of Atlantis. Yes the acting wasn't great but it was entirely watchable. Too bad the CW didn't pick this one up.

• 3 weeks later...
The CW put its prematurely born series "Aquaman" up for sale on iTunes a couple of weeks ago and it debuted in the No. 1 spot.

As of Thursday, the 60-minute superhero drama had dropped to No. 5, but that's still impressive. (A spokeswoman for iTunes says Apple doesn't release how many downloads that equals.)

What amazes me is that with all of the success the show is having online, the CW says they still won't pick it up. Maybe another network will.