Every comic you've read in 2020

Missy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

El Diablo #1-6: this was the miniseries from several years back, re-establishing the character in the DCU as more of a Ghost Rider analogy. It's quite good in parts. Hester and Parks on art is, as always, a delight. 

Pestilence A Story of Satan #5: low-key contender for one of the best horror comics of the past few years that no one knows about. Finally got to the end. Good shit.

Spider-Force #2: this is incomprehensible.

The Last Space Race #2: still pretty good.

Punisher #4: still fucking great.

Uncanny X-Men #2: not the greatest. Hope it evens out.

Weapon H #10: still a sleeper for Marvel.

Weapon X #26: this is not where I would have guessed this series goes, but it's fun.

Books of Magic #2: pretty decent. I'll give it another issue or two.

Injustice Gods Among Us Year Three Complete Collection: This veers into the magical side with Constantine (on Batman's side) has to deal with Superman who has The Spectre's support. He does so by kidnapping Raven (on Superman's side) and then telling Trigon that it was Superman who kidnapped her. It's kind of the perfect Constantine story in the bigger DCU.

• Issues: 244
  • Trades: 13
  • Omnibus: 5
  • Graphic Novel: 7

On 8/25/2020 at 2:27 PM, The Master said:

Batman: The Three Jokers #1: A 48-page comic for $6.99 that could have been maybe 30 pages. The first issue sets up a lot but not enough to hook me to read these individually; I'll wait 'til it's collected.

Figured I'd give #2 a shot. What even is this book trying to accomplish? The art is good, but Johns is not moving the story along at all. He does, however, script one of the Jokers in Mark Hamill's cadence.

Right? And Batman being like, "If we let the cops arrest Jason for murder -- with a gun -- he'll expose us," is a big NO! Barbara is the only one acting like a Bat-family character, yet she has no agency. If she's not bowing to Bruce, she's kissing Jason -- WHO JUST MURDERED A JOKER AND WHICH SHE'S RIGHTLY BEEN 'WTF-ING' ABOUT TO BATMAN WHO'S DONE NOTHING BECAUSE "KGNLK NGJHGIOEaHAUG:ANg gAIIO :GAegrhj!d"

Mockingbird (2016) #1-8: This was an absolute blast. Chelsea Cain's Bobbi is sarcastic, hypercompetent, and game for pretty much whatever gets thrown at her. These eight issues are very, very fun and go by in no time. Kate Niemczyk's art is always clean and great to look at.

I do have one major issue with the story, however (CW, sexual assault):

Spoiler

This final issues of this book, which are a Civil War II tie-in dealing with the aftermath of Clint's killing of Bruce Banner, rewrite the history of the end of their marriage; in the pages of West Coast Avengers, the WCA went back in time to the Old West, where Bobbi was drugged and forced to fall in love with the Phantom Rider; this was presented, quite correctly, as rape, and when Bobbi came to, she had the opportunity to prevent the Rider from dying but didn't; Hawkeye berated her, saying "Avengers don't kill!" and Bobbi (also quite correctly) said something along the lines of "Fuck you, Clint," and that was that.

Now, however, the story goes that Bobbi had sex with the Phantom Rider consensually, and that Clint left her because she cheated on him. This smacks of editorial getting involved, as stories like this always seem to get either rewritten in time or forgotten, but it really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Which is a damn shame, because on the whole this was a ridiculously entertaining series.

DC Nuclear Winter Special: last Christmas DC put this out instead of a Christmas special, because they saw 2020 coming. It's post-apocalyptic. The art is great for the most part and some of the stories are great.

Daredevil #612: still pretty great.

Dead Man Logan #1: not bad

Fantastic Four #4: This is the most I've ever liked Dan Slott's writing. It's concerning.

Heroes in Crisis #3: still good.

Ironheart #1: not a fan of the art, or the character redesign. I'm out.

Justice League Odyssey #3: I was really under the impression that Sejic did the art on all of these. He doesn't I'm out.

Marvel Two In One #12: a sweet story of Invisible Woman and Human Torch.

Old Man Hawkeye #11: really good.

Return of Wolverine #3: pretty good.

The Warning #1: This was pretty good. I'll give it one more.

• Issues: 255

1963 #1-6: A series of one-shots from 1993 (with titles like Tales of the Uncanny and The Tomorrow Syndicate) by Alan Moore, paying tribute to Marvel Silver Age comics. The art was mostly handled by Rick Veitch and Steve Bissette, with some inks from Dave Gibbons, Don Simpson, and others. This was interesting to read now, with yet another of Moore's "superhero comics are stupid and smelly and I hate them" interviews making the rounds; the industry has broken Moore's heart, but his love for the medium was very real at one point, and this is a pitch-perfect take on the very early days of the Lee-Kirby-Ditko Bullpen. It barely qualifies as satire; this is pure homage. It ends on a cliffhanger that never got resolved, due in part with (stop me if this sounds familiar) feuds with Bissette and publisher Jim Lee.

Black Widow (2016) #1-12: The Chris Samnee/Mark Waid limited series. Unlike a lot of their other collaborations like Daredevil and Captain America, this is mostly Samnee's show. Waid provides dialogue as needed, but this story, a very 1960s spy story, is largely told through visuals (to the extent that Samnee is credited as a co-writer), with a focus on Natasha's balletic action style. It's gorgeous, but I read the whole thing in about 90 minutes.

Agreed on all things Black Widow. At the time it was coming out, I read it monthly, and each issue took maybe five to seven minutes. As a complete package, I could think of worse ways to spend 60-90 minutes, though. It's such a stunning book.

It's absolutely beautiful. I was tempted to get it monthly when it came out, but as pretty as it was I really didn't feel like I would be getting $4 worth of entertainment every month, and the story as a whole is not a $48 story. I found it being sold as a twelve-issue set at a convention for $25, and that was money very well spent.

Uncanny X-Men #3: Man, this series is killing it. I still haven't gotten to the "X of" event, but the X-books are rocking in 2019

Border Town #4: eh...kind of boring and then a hammer smash of an ending.

Doomsday Clock #8: still pretty great.

Grumble #1: couldn't even finish it.

Hack/Slash vs. Chaos #1: Jesus, this is trash. Maybe I'll read the rest if it makes the next H/S compendium. But not otherwise.

Immortal Hulk The Best Defense #1: this is great

Marvel Knights #3: this was the worst of the three so far, but the others were amazing, so I'm sticking with it.

Namor: The Best Defense #1: WTF is happening here?

Ninja-K #14:Fuck. This has been the best run that Valiant has done since its rebirth. Looking forward to see what spins out of this.

Prodigy #1: A Millarworld thing that I'll probably give another issue.

Shatterstar #3: not great. I'll give it one more.

Shazam! #1: this is basically a direct sequel to the movie, but they whitewashed the foster parents,, which I found weird. Still good.

• Issues: 267

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 3:27 PM, The Master said:

Figured I'd give #2 a shot. What even is this book trying to accomplish? The art is good, but Johns is not moving the story along at all. He does, however, script one of the Jokers in Mark Hamill's cadence.

And that's the third and final issue done.

What was the point of all this? It sets up a mystery -- that being, the idea that there are three Jokers -- only to piss it away by the end. Without spoiling the last few pages, it seems like Johns had the ending in mind and worked toward that single moment / reveal. Which, dear lord, no. Just like he couldn't keep his hands off of The Killing Joke, someone down the line is going to pick up this new idea and run it into the ground.

When Batman grabs Jason, I could swear that dialog is lifted almost wholesale from Batman: Under the Red Hood.

What is Barbara even doing here? Yeah, she has an emotional tie to The Joker, but she just stands there doing fuck all except giving Jason someone to pine over.

If you can get this as a secondhand trade down the line, give it a go, otherwise there's literally no point to this besides the "shocking" revelation at the end.

The story was ultimately pointless. If it didn't get the Doomsday Clock treatment and came out back when this was first made a mystery of, treated like an actual mystery with clues down the line, and not the random one-off that it was, it might have more weight. I enjoyed the third issue, but it was Johns just doing *his* Joker story, which doesn't compare to any of the classics. I didn't hate it but it's impossible to love aside from Fabok's art.

• 2 weeks later...

Money Shot #1-5: I walked in expecting a ridiculous sex comic. I got a surprisingly intelligent story with some solid science fiction and three-dimensional characters in a thoroughly cheerful sex-positive comedy. This was much, much, much better than I anticipated and I'll be reading the next arc as soon as I can.

26 minutes ago, The Master said:

The solicitations sounded fun but maybe too one-note for my liking, so I'm glad to hear otherwise.

I took a chance on it because the co-writer, Sarah Beattie, is fairly funny on Twitter, if (again) kind of one-note. Glad I did.

Die Kitty Die #1-4: Dan Parent (Archie) doing fun sexy comics is good.

Suicide Squad Black Files #2: not as in to the Katana story as the other magic-based one, but that tracks for my regular thoughts. Not too bad, Not as good as #1. I'll give it one more.

The Freeze #1: the first high-concept sci fi comic to catch my attention in issue one in ages. I'll check out more.

Uncanny X-Men #4: this shit is bonkers and I love it.

Winter Soldier #1: not bad, but not good enough to read more.

X-Men The Exterminated #1: not bad.

Asgardians of the Galaxy #4: still really fun.

Black Hammer: Cthu-Louise: Jesus, I wish this was a miniseries. What a beautiful story. I wish I had more time to live in this character.

Champions #27: this series really went off the rails.

Come Into Me #4: dies with a whimper.

Daughters of the Dragon #2: another issue collecting two digital books (?) but this one was quite good.

Doctor Strange : The Best Defence: what the fuck is happening?

Fantastic Four Wedding Special: how do they not actually have the wedding in this issue? Weird.

• Issues: 283

Amazing Spider-Man #854: HOLY FUCKING SHIT (will return to elaborate further, just had to get that out there atm)

Spoiler

Though its been hinted at powerfully through his run, Nick Spencer is coming at One More Day directly. Not only that, but with Harry's reveal as Kindred, he's bringing back the version of Harry who was Peter's greatest enemy at the point in which he died, which makes sense as the Harry who came back in OMD was really a weird pastiche of James Franco and the Ian Ziering Harry from MTV, not really the canonical character. 

Additionally, Kindred killed Spider-Man at the end of the last issue. Just before he resurrects him, Peter wakes up to the exact same scene from ASM #545, which kicked off BND after the deal with Mephisto was made.

I am buzzing right now, what Spencer is doing in ASM is so cool.

Goddess Mode #1: not my thing, and I am not the audience.

Hellboy Winter Special 2018: Why not? It was good for the most part.

Infinity Wars Sleepwalker #4: I really lost steam on this one.

Justice League Dark #6: fuck this book's good!

Miles Morales Spider-Man #1: so very little happened in this issue that it's just not the type of storytelling I'm looking for now. Seems like a waste of time. I haven't used the term "decompressed" in reference to storytelling in a long time, but this is just overboard.

Murder Falcon #3: This series is so damned fun.

Outer Darkness #2: Ok, this one gets one more from me. Not the best. But I'm still intrigued.

Quantum Age #5: this got sentimental really quick. Sweet issue. 

Sasquatch Detective Special #1: they had me with the title and lost me with the awfulness of the book.

Silver Surfer The Best Defense #1: I have no idea what the fuck is happening in these books, but I need to see the last issue.

Snap Flash Hustle #1: while this feels like a failed TV pitch, it is still great concept and the first issue pulled me in. I'll give it another.

The Batman Who Laughs #1: Ok, somehow I got pulled into this and didn't hate it like I did that first Death Metal issue. I'll see where this goes a little bit.

• Issues: 295

Cable #1 (2020): Teenage Cable is living on Krakoa with the rest of the Mutantkind, and he's fighting Wolverine in civilized combat, dating multiple women at once, and saving giant ageless lions from splinters in their feet.

It's fine, but it didn't feel like a first issue. Rather, more like a oneshot or an extended backup story. As a 1990s Cable guy, it's a big shift seeing teen Nate flirt with everyone and give reverence to his father, but I'm not sure it's enough to keep me invested.

The Other History of the DC Universe by John Ridley. Chronicling Black Lightning's perspective on his canonical career from the 70s to the early 90s.

This is the best DC book I've read in many years. I can't even begin to think of anything that touches it in the last ten. Certainly not anything Batman related. It strikes a tone of storytelling maturity and insight that recalls late 80s DC Comics, where maturity meant sophistication and not just wanton violence. Certainly the best Black Label comic by far as well. Highly recommended.

Suicide Squad (2019) #1-11 and The Flash Annual #3: This series kicked all sorts of ass, and it's a shame it didn't last beyond 11 issues. The creative team was on to something here; The Revolutionaries are basically The Authority with a SJW bent. Instead of blindly murdering people to make global changes, they coordinate and infiltrate to get their way. Very interesting modern take on superheroes.

Daredevil #25: Not sure what's going on. Not sure why Matt is sitting in prison with his mask on. Not sure why his visitor is there or what's going on between them. But the reveal near the very end quite literally made me sit up in my chair and go, "Whha?! Awesome!"