Every film you've watched in 2020

Missy

Star Trek V, The Final Frontier: I remember not liking it at all when I saw it 30+ years ago, but it is much better than I remember. Definitely worth a rewatch and I am looking forward to it being covered on The Edge of Forever.

Spoiler

The crew turning against Kirk and following a cult leader really should have had more repercussions in the next movie, but it is as if this movie never happened. Sulu actually gets promoted to be a captain of his own starship.

Films watched: 28

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, S-T said:

Star Trek V, The Final Frontier: I remember not liking it at all when I saw it 30+ years ago, but it is much better than I remember. Definitely worth a rewatch and I am looking forward to it being covered on The Edge of Forever.

Reveal hidden contents

The crew turning against Kirk and following a cult leader really should have had more repercussions in the next movie, but it is as if this movie never happened. Sulu actually gets promoted to be a captain of his own starship.

Films watched: 28

Check out the latest episodes of the bOrgcast (entitled "What Does God Need With A Podcast?"), in which Peter Organ does commentaries of the film with various co-hosts.

IT Chapter Two: watched this with the oldest the other night and it's pretty damned good. The monsters look more cartoonish in this one, but I really enjoyed the casting and the take on the novel. It's less faithful than the first, but appropriately so.

Anchorman: again. Oldest wanted something lighter after IT. Haha!

• Features: 69
  • Shorts: 2
  • Documentaries: 10
  • Rewatches: 2

6 hours ago, S-T said:

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: This is a classic movie, on Netflix right now. If you haven't seen it, go watch it. If you have kids, watch it with them.

"...just 'cause it's a classic doesn't mean that it's good."

Constantine: I feel like this movie is finally getting the credit it deserves. Is it a good Constantine movie? No. Is is a fun movie? Yes. It's just a film that fundamentally works better if you divorce it from the source material/are not familiar with it.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: There are parts that work very well and parts that are pretty meh. It is oddly prescient considering the political unrest in the film.

The Final Girls: Honestly, I love this film. It does it's best with it's PG-13 rating and it is one of the only films I know that has a scene that can consistently make me ugly cry.

Captain America: Civil War: I've spoken about my problems with this film in the past. I just can't get into it and better people than myself have spoken about my problems than me. Basically, it's a film that could have been better but just isn't.

Films: 105
Documentaries: 1

Rewatches: 1
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 14

On 7/27/2020 at 3:45 AM, Pan-dub said:

"...just 'cause it's a classic doesn't mean that it's good."

😂

My boys loved it and were roaring when E.T. was drunk.

I fast forwarded past the forced kiss Elliot planted on Erika Eleniak. That’s not cute, it’s assault. It was strange seeing her so young. The first movie I remember her in was Under Siege a decade later.

Host, a 60-minute Shudder exclusive.

This was fine. A decent way to spend an hour with the lights off. Shot entirely on Zoom during the lockdown, the movie sees six friends attempting to hold a seance for fun, but then shit goes horribly wrong. There's some decent acting and misdirection. My only complaints were the typical "put the camera down" elements, and the very ending. It was like, "How do we finish this? I know..." (I won't spoil it, but it was hackneyed.)

I, Tonya: just an attempt to catch up on some stuff that I missed, and boy did I miss this one! This was great. Some of the skating scenes are very CGI, but the acting is incredible all around. Funny, smart, heart-felt.

In Search of Darkness: a four hour documentary about 80s horror. It has its moments.

• Features: 72
  • Documentaries: 11

Batman & Robin - It's nostalgic cheese at this point.  The fact that I watched this on a second-hand VHS on a wooden console television doesn't hurt with those feelings.  Two takeaways.  First, not that I watch any George Clooney movies, but in my head he has always been grey.  Odd not seeing it here.  And secondly, if I imagine this movie as a sequel to Batman 66 then more things make sense.  Arnold telling Adam West to chill seems right.

3 hours ago, The Master said:

Exactly. If viewed as either an updated version of Batman 66 or a sequel to it, it's a fun campy ride. My turnaround on this movie has been a complete 180.

😲

Given what you said in the podcast review, that comes as a surprise.  Do you still dislike Batman 89?

Looking back, it probably was a needed respite from the "grim & gritty" 1990's.

15 hours ago, S-T said:

😲

Given what you said in the podcast review, that comes as a surprise.  Do you still dislike Batman 89?

Looking back, it probably was a needed respite from the "grim & gritty" 1990's.

He probably still dislikes it.

The real question is "Would you concuss yourself again over Batman 89? Especially bearing in mind you're now in your 40s?"

Ahh, I love throwbacks!

Batman and Robin is a good movie, because it's entertaining. In a Commando way. It's badly written, silly as hell and commits several betrayals, but its energy is so wild and bizarre that these days I side-eye people who angrily scream about it. We're never going to see anything like it again, and if we do it'll be *actually* good like Batman: Brave and the Bold.

Oh, I watched The Patriot last week and it sucked.

The studio hired Joel Schumacher to make a big-budget live action feature-length episode of Batman '66, and he created the Platonic ideal of that. Batman and Robin isn't the movie anyone wanted in 1997, but it is the greatest possible version of precisely what Schumacher set out to do.

The Wrong Missy: Lauren Lapkus is a genius. This movie still sucks though. Two solid laughs.

Murder Mystery: I can't stand Jennifer Aniston. She's the absolute worst actress to me. This sucked too. One solid laugh and a chuckle.

Sing Street: had to check and see if this is a rewatch, but I guess I watched it late in 2019 for the fourth time or whatever. The movie still holds up, but god does it look like balls with motion smoothing. I would have changed the airbnb's TV settings but only the Roku remote was available. 

• Features: 75
  • Documentaries: 11

On 8/6/2020 at 3:54 PM, Donomark said:

Oh, I watched The Patriot last week and it sucked.

The Mel Gibson movie from 2000, or the Steven Seagal movie from the 1990's?

I think much of the "angry screaming" about Batman & Robin 1997 is performance art for comedic effect.

On 8/6/2020 at 12:27 PM, slothian said:

The real question is "Would you concuss yourself again over Batman 89? Especially bearing in mind you're now in your 40s?"

I recall @The Master also smashing his head on the desk when he had to review The Crow: Wicked Prayer for the Tranquil Tirades episode he did with @D.W. and @James D.

I personally think the first Crow movie is overrated. I see the appeal, but it didn't connect with me the way it did others.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: I had no idea how many actors performed multiple roles, or that John Cleese was in it. So many classic lines from that movie have become ingrained in popular culture. I had not seen the movie when I saw the Jericho episode of Veggie Tales in college, so I did not get the joke when my friends were roaring with laughter when the French Peas showed up.

I quote the line "strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government" every year on the Fourth of July.

Films Watched: 30

1 hour ago, S-T said:

I personally think the first Crow movie is overrated. I see the appeal, but it didn't connect with me the way it did others.

Though I will always have deep personal ties to the movie, my opinion on The Crow flips with each viewing. It's a strange one.