Every film you've watched in 2020

Missy

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm currently social distancing so let's see how much I end up watching in the next couple of weeks.

My Hero Academia: Two Heroes: It feels like a lot of anime films that come out at the same time as the series is coming out in that it's largely inconsequential and any continuity that it introduces is likely to have no impact on the main series. As is, it was fun with some good fight sequences.

The Alien Factor: I haven't watched any Cinematic Titanic before (the other Riffing group made up of MST3k Alums) and it was on the MST3k Twitch Channel. It's a wildly bad film that was riffed well. I might check out some more.

Films: 34
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 3

Ronnie Coleman: The King: Documentary presenting the general history of bodybuilder Ronnie Coleman, inter-cut with a lead up to an impending back surgery to help with his constant chronic pain from injuries he accumulated over time. I don't think this did a great job going to specific detail as to why Coleman was such a legend, just that once he won Mr. Olympia, he was. Felt like a lot of details were missing.

Black Christmas (2019) - Really goes overboard at the end and it undercuts the film.

Spoiler

Specifically, the supernatural stuff was a bit much. Would have been better as a traditional slasher.

Films watched: 12

Raiders of the Lost Ark: I haven't seen this in a very long time. I've always really liked it. This time I loved it. C'mon, it's Raiders.

Also, this is the first time I was really struck by how gorgeous Karen Allen is.

The Invisible Man (2020): This is fucking good! The direction, specifically, is solid. There are some shots that are purposely off just a little in an attempt to make you wonder if anyone else is in the room with Cecilia. Cannot recommend this enough.

In many ways, this reminded me very much of the Batman: The Animated Series episode "See No Evil."

Oddly, I didn't know Leigh Whannell directed it until the credits came up. That said, during the hospital fight scene I thought, "This looks like Upgrade," and as the final scene played I thought, "Something about this dialog reminds me of Saw." So that all makes sense now.

Racket Girls: It's a 50s movie about mobsters and women wrestlers but the wrestling parts are all padding and the plot is less than interesting.

Red Zone Cuba: Vanity project that still leads to some good MST3k riffs.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension: While not as good as I was being led to believe it would be, still pretty entertaining and something I would watch again.

Films: 35
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 5

A Million Ways to Die in the West: watched this with the boys. Some solid jokes. Giovanni Ribisi is amazing as always, but Charlize Theron is transcendent. She's in a different, much better film here.

Masterminds: Been wanting to watch this since it came out, but got the opportunity on Netflix. I loved it. Solid laughs. Great performances.

The Head Hunter: this is grim dark, like I love my fantasy. But it shies away from the monsters far too much. Definitely to keep their film looking higher budget than it is, but it is just a disappointment in that way. Great ending though.

• Features: 28
  • Shorts: 2
  • Documentaries: 4
  • Rewatches: 1

On 3/23/2020 at 7:50 PM, The Master said:

as the final scene played I thought, "Something about this dialog reminds me of Saw." So that all makes sense now.

Coming from you, I take that as a major shot at the movie's quality.

🙂

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn): This is exactly what I needed tonight. It's like "What if Quentin Tarantino and James Gunn had a baby and it made a diamond heist set in a the cocaine-fueled Suicide Squad Universe?" Cathy Yan's directorial style and tone are precisely the shot in the arm the DCEU needs. Even though this has a lot of F-Bombs and "Did they really just do that?" violence, there's absolutely no reason it cannot exist in the same universe as Wonder Woman and Shazam.

Everyone is spot-on to who the movie asks them to be. No, they are not the exact representations of Cassandra, Huntress, and Canary, but they are in this universe, and that's what matters.

I'll be revisiting this many times.

13 minutes ago, S-T said:

The Cube: It has Ezri Dax, so that is a big plus. Quite good. I think @Dread would like this and would be interested to hear his thoughts on the Dread Media podcast.

I definitely recommend.

Films Watched: 13

You're in luck! I interviewed the director and talked about the entire Cube series with DW almost exactly ten years ago:http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_143.mp3

Duck Tales The Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp: Wanted something in the background while I played a video game. I remember rewatching the VHS of it like a million times. It's okay. Animation is slightly above the quality level of the tv show.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie: Everyone's non-major character's Australian accent leaks through on a regular basis. It's okay, nothing special.

Jack The Giant Killer: Watched with the Rifftrax. I'm realizing how much MST3k and Rifftrax I'm gonna be watching in the next few weeks. The movie itself has some alright stop-motion animation, some weird acting choices.

Films: 37
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 6

11 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

Duck Tales The Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp: Wanted something in the background while I played a video game. I remember rewatching the VHS of it like a million times. It's okay. Animation is slightly above the quality level of the tv show.

From your avatar, I would have never imagined you are a fan of Duck Tales.

🙂

I was in junior high and high school when that and Rescue Rangers were mega popular. My nieces and nephews loved it. I'm pleased my sons like it now, too, watching on Disney Plus.

Which version of the game were you playing? The remastered version or the Disney Afternoon collection? I have the former on Steam.

21 hours ago, Dread said:

You're in luck! I interviewed the director and talked about the entire Cube series with DW almost exactly ten years ago:http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_143.mp3

Cool. Just downloaded and put it on my MP3 player. It will be nice to hear @D.W.'s voice again too.

13 hours ago, S-T said:

Which version of the game were you playing? The remastered version or the Disney Afternoon collection? I have the former on Steam.

I was actually playing Lufia 2. Not really in the mood for a Platformer right now while a SNES JRPG was striking my fancy.

Mandy: Weird and trippy as all fuck. I'm not sure how I feel.

Heathers: Was trying to organize a Movie Night for my D&D group over Discord but no one could make it so I just decided to pick a film and start watching it. One of my favorites and definitely something that I can always come back to.

The Producers: The musical version. Parts of the film are way too stagy but I still enjoyed it all.

Films: 40
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 6

8 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

I was actually playing Lufia 2. Not really in the mood for a Platformer right now while a SNES JRPG was striking my fancy.

Ha. I read your OP as “playing the video game,” not playing a video game. Which changes the meaning.

In other words, my thought to myself was “reading comprehension is a good thing, idiot.”

😂

I actually am literate, really I am.

Ugh. I somehow skipped a number, so The Cube was movie #12.

Beyond the Mat: I saw this almost 20 years ago and it is much sadder today, especially listening to Mick Foley talk about wanting to retire at 36 and knowing the violent matches he was in for many years after that. The chair shots were very tough to watch, and I am glad WWE has banned chair shots to the head. Apparently it is better today, but wrestling has a long and terrible history of treating performers terribly. It is really too bad that efforts to unionize wrestlers failed in the 1980's.

Films watched: 13

The Cable Guy: becoming a ritual to watch this every six months with my boys. I can't complain. This is Jim Carrey at his manic best. His actual acting caps really showed through here. So good.

Color Out Of Space: review forthcoming.

• Features: 31
  • Shorts: 2
  • Documentaries: 4
  • Rewatches: 1