Episode 1096 - Super Teams

RSS

Christian, Donovan, Ian, and Will join forces to discuss their favorite hero and villain teams, as well as disclose the team-ups they'd most like to see. Along the way, the guys break into song, confront tainted favorites, and gush about Olivia Colman. [ 3:18:25 || 99.6 MB ]

Listening to Ian describe wrestling, especially the antics of Team RECK, opened my eyes to how weird wrestling is. I mean, I've known that since I was a teenager, but hearing it spoken about so matter-of-factly made me pause and think, "What even is wrestling?" It's truly one of the best yet strangest forms of entertainment out there.

3 hours ago, The Master said:

Listening to Ian describe wrestling, especially the antics of Team RECK, opened my eyes to how weird wrestling is. I mean, I've known that since I was a teenager, but hearing it spoken about so matter-of-factly made me pause and think, "What even is wrestling?" It's truly one of the best yet strangest forms of entertainment out there.

I was conscious that none of my fellow panellists had come from The Oratory, therefore I needed to break it down. But listening back, I'm quite pleased at how it came across. #FiveSecondPose

WWE is obviously terrible right now, but I'm really into AEW as a throw back to certainly when I was watching it weekly in 2000-01. For example, their Kane analogue is a lucha dinosaur who hangs out with a young Tarzan and an even smaller guy who acts like a child.

We didn’t have time to go over all of our honorable mentions for hero teams since Donovan had to dash. Here are mine:

-The command crew of Deep Space Nine (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

-Scoops Troop (Stranger Things)

-The Aang Gang (Avatar: The Last Airbender)

-Sandford PD (Hot Fuzz)

-Dumbledore’s Army (Harry Potter)

-The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings)

I enjoy the Avengers movies and the Teen Titans cartoon but didn’t include them since I’m not as familiar with their comic book lore as I am with the X-Men or the Justice League’s.

Villain Team: Brotherhood of Evil (Teen Titans cartoon)
It's not that they're the best supervillain team ever, but they get shit done in the fifth season of Teen Titans. And Glenn Shadix's acting as The Brain is quite chilling.

Dream Team-Up: Star Trek: The Next Generation / Superman
As a gag, Mister Mxyzptlk sends Superman to the 24th Century, where he meets the Enterprise D crew. Superman quickly figures out that Mxy is now going by Q, but that's no matter because Picard & Co. must team with Superman to bring down the Darkseid / Romulan combo.

Hero Team: Young Justice (cartoon)
Unlike the Teen Titans, which has a set roster, this is a massive unit (oh my!) that can be broken off into smaller squads for maximum efficiency. As the show progresses, characters mature, age out, die, and change alliances. There's a legacy to these heroes that's rich, and grows them out of the sidekick shadow and into superheroes of their own making.