Round 1: Captain America: The Winter Solider v Spider-Man: Homecoming

Missy

Round 1: Captain America: The Winter Solider v Spider-Man: Homecoming  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the best

• Captain America: The Winter Solider
    • Spider-Man: Homecoming

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/30/2020 at 05:00 PM

Homecoming is a fun, enjoyable Spider-Man movie with an exceptionally solid, somewhat relatable blue collar villain. It goes a long way to re-ground the MCU; it reminds us that real people are having their real lives majorly upended by superheroes. And Peter has to straddle both sides of the fence here. It's a wonderful look at what it means to be an everyman as well as a superman.

The car scene demonstrates this perfectly. Peter's more than fast enough to grab the gun from Adrian, but:

• He's nervous as hell, because he's a kid who's never had a gun pulled on him like this (RE: everyman).
  • Attempting to disarm Adrian means possibly endangering everyone at the dance (RE: superman).

It also reminds of "with great power there must also come great responsibility" without every saying it. Apprehending Toomes is the responsible thing to do, but it must be weighed against how it will ruin Liz's life.

It's all there, and it's so wonderfully acted, paced, and pulled off.

But it just cannot top Winter Soldier. I mean, it has Georges St-Pierre as Batroc the Leaper.

Homecoming has my single favorite scene of any MCU film--the "dad chat." Keaton owns the world in that scene.

But Winter Soldier is my favorite MCU film by a huge margin. It stands out from the rest of the universe with its unique espionage story. I won't be voting against it at any point.

Homecoming's fine but I feel like I'd like it more if there weren't 5 Spider-Man films before it came around (all apologies to Nicholas Hammond).

I definitely have films that I'd vote for over Winter Soldier, but not many, and Homecoming isn't one of them.

On 7/27/2020 at 4:56 PM, dc20willsave said:

I mean, there are people that don't realize that SHIELD recruiting Hyrdra Scientists is 100% based off of fact so I can't really slight them for that.

Yeah I know I shouldn't expect so much from the tentpole Disney movie, but sometimes I can't help it. It's like why I don't like Black Panther anywhere near most people do. I mean I take one look at the white CIA agent being treated like a hero in it, and I start thinking about Patrice Lumumba. 

• Missy locked this topic