Round 1: Captain Marvel v Spider-Man: Far from Home

Missy

Round 1: Captain Marvel v Spider-Man: Far from Home  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the best

• Captain Marvel
    • Spider-Man: Far from Home

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/30/2020 at 05:00 PM

This was the hardest choice yet. Captain Marvel gets the vote for being different. More of a fresh vibe. Also, for a character I really couldn't give a shit about in the comics, the movie did a good job of making her interesting.

13 hours ago, Professor said:

Far From Home.  It has the better moments for me.  The Mysterio fight is great and Peter/Happy scenes do it for me.

I'm with Chris here. Not to undersell Captain Marvel, which was perfectly fine.

After finally watching Far from Home this evening, I'm voting for Captain Marvel. And there is one very simple reason: Far from Home is slow and, frankly, boring until Peter hands the glasses over to Beck. And that's an hour into the movie. Once that happens FUCK YES THE MOVIE IS AWESOME! Mysterio is perfectly realized as a foe, and his tech is built off of preexisting MCU terminology. So that's awesome. As is the moment when Spider-Man enters the illusion and destroys the drones. And the Spider-sense scene: *chef's motherfucking kiss*. Peter grabbing the gun. DAMN! But again, it took forever to get there. And honestly the humor is too Iron Man. Spider-Man humor should be diametrically different than all other humor -- be it in the MCU, 616, or any adaptation. The humor here, especially that around the Peter/ MJ romance, is the start-stop-start stuttery stuff we saw with Tony and Pepper. That's. Not. Spider-Man.

Captain Marvel is far from perfect, but it's laser-focused from the jump, adds elements to the MCU cosmic universe pre-GOTG, has a theme that will always be relevant, plays with preexisting characters, sets up the Skrulls and Kree, it doesn't fuck around with its time, the soundtrack is amazing, and it doesn't have the MCU forced humor. Normally I don't mind that, but there's clearly a tone to these movies. Captain Marvel has quips, but it does not have that same (though I love it) tired quipiness.

• Missy locked this topic

"This topic is locked, but your permissions allow you to add new replies." Thank you Super Mod-ship!

The one thing I'll disagree with Mike, other than his vote, is this:

14 hours ago, The Master said:

The humor here, especially that around the Peter/ MJ romance, is the start-stop-start stuttery stuff we saw with Tony and Pepper. That's. Not. Spider-Man.

I don't pretend to understand what "Spider-Man Humor" is - particularly as humour is spelled wrongly - but I don't equate the Peter/MJ Romance here as remotely the same as Tony/Pepper. Usually the latter is them talking over each other and usually arguing with one another. In the MCU, Peter is very much the gawky nervous guy and MJ is self-confident, whilst secretly betraying her liking for him, but the tone of the dialogue is much different. MJ being the "MCU snark dialogue" character is a fair criticism, but one I think Zendaya makes work.

And other than the fact she plays MJ, I know fuck all about Zendaya. I am a British man in his mid 30s who thinks anyone who goes by a single name (that isn't an alias) is kinda pretentious.