Episode 1105 - Wizard

RSS

To celebrate 15 years of Earth-2.net: The Show, Dan and Mike look back at the once-seminal Wizard. How did a price guide become the go-to comic book magazine, how did it go from a groundbreaking Generation X tome to hate-filled trash, and how is its influence still felt today? Dan and Mike look at these questions and more, and Dan brings some crazy stats to the table. [ 1:58:32 || 60.6 MB ]
[ download ]

[b]To listen, click here:[/b] [media]{url}[/media]

• Missy changed the title to Episode 1105 - Wizard

Wow.

Fifteen years.

Wow.

I personally can't believe I've been on this forum for 16 and 1/2 years. I've been on a number of forums over the years, but none of them had the staying power of this one.

I remember Wizard in the 1990's. I'm sure the Internet killed Electronic Gaming Monthly and GamePro too. I remember when both Wizard and EGM were perfect bind. (The glue back.) Brings back memories, and both @The Master and @Dan made good points. One of the best episodes I've listened to.

That was a terrific discussion. I'm younger than you guys, so both my engagement with Wizard and my awareness of its cons were far more minimized. I never stuck to it like a die-hard, but it was cool to have a monthly magazine about comic books. I definitely remember when it folded and getting the last issue. I remember the lameass gag panels, and the misogyny didn't surprise me, but the depths of it I wasn't aware of. Awesome episode and happy 15th anniversary.

• 2 weeks later...

Wizard is something thing that I have a memory of great fondness for, but very little actual memory of the magazines themselves.  About once a month I would go to the grocery store with my mom (which was an hours long process).  I'd go straight to the spinner rack and grab everything and sit in the pharmacy chairs and read everything.  And Wizard was always the last thing I was reading when my mom came to get me.  And then I got ice cream. 

Pretty much everything you guys talked about in this episode does not ring a single bell to me.  Strikes me as odd.

And randomly, when Dan was talking about the Valiant covers and specifically Solar I got confused.  I have no idea why, but I always thought it was pronounced so-LAR.  The more you know.