Episode 162 - Demons of the Punjab, Kerblam!

RSS

While attempting to uncover the secrets of her grandmother's past, Yas and her friends accidentally find themselves on the newly formed border between India and Pakistan ("Demons of the Punjab"). Then, the arrival of an unexpected message leads The Doctor to a conspiracy that could have catastrophic repercussions ("Kerblam!"). [ 1:02:43 || 45.8 MB ]

• Missy changed the title to Episode 162 - Demons of the Punjab, Kerblam!

Having missed out on this season, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear it so positively reviewed by you guys. My understanding was that this was an uneventful, bland first run for Chibnall, and in that SDCC panel I recorded last year, the majority consensus of the panel of fans roundly disliked him as showrunner. This is the first I've heard where the opinion has bucked the trend.

If I'm being totally honest, the season as a whole isn't gelling as much as I would like. Specifically, it's struggling to find an overall tone. However, there are some real gems in Rosa and Demons of the Punjab, the companions are nailing it individually and as a team, and Jodie Whittaker has found her feet as The Doctor.

The season is... fine. Not awesome, not bad, just kind of okay. Chibnall is deliberately trying to do something different with the modern series - i.e., a series entirely comprised of one-and-dones like the classic series - but as a whole the episodes have not been stellar. The cast is great, and Whittaker is definitely a good Doctor.

Also, a not-zero amount of the backlash has been from people gnashing their teeth about the Doctor having boobs.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

The season is... fine. Not awesome, not bad, just kind of okay. Chibnall is deliberately trying to do something different with the modern series - i.e., a series entirely comprised of one-and-dones like the classic series - but as a whole the episodes have not been stellar. The cast is great, and Whittaker is definitely a good Doctor.

Also, a not-zero amount of the backlash has been from people gnashing their teeth about the Doctor having boobs.

Oh sure, that's been going on ever since we talked about Ian Levine here on the boards. But I have seen a lot of female fans be kind of meh at season 11, and really enjoy season 12, which I did as well.