Best directorial debuts

You Know Who

• 11 months later...

Just saw this. I think you have to put the following on the list:

-Robert Eggers' The VVitch

-Mel Brooks' The Producers

-Nicolas Winding Refn's Pusher

-David Lynch's Eraserhead

-George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead (come on!)

-Panos Cosmatos' Beyond the Black Rainbow

-Bill Paxton's Frailty

-Robin Hardy's The Wicker Man

-William Peter BLatty's The Ninth Configuration

-Alex Cox's Repo Man

-Shane Black's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

-Dario Argento's The Bird with the Crystal Plumage

-Clive Barker's Hellraiser

-Kurt Russell's Tombstone (haha!)

40 minutes ago, You Know Who said:

[checks Wikipedia] Good choice, if that's true

My understanding is that this wasn't the only time. There's talk of Stallone ghost-directing Cobra as well. Funny enough, I just rewatched Leviathan last night as it's gone from Tubi in a couple days. Great little Alien/Aliens ripoff from George Cosmatos.

I could have also said Trent Haaga's Citizen Toxie but basically no one would know what I was talking about.

Edit: here it is:

"At one point during filming, Sylvester Stallone complained to cinematographer Ric Waite that they were falling behind, and said he and his crew needed to work harder. Waite responded by saying that if Stallone "gets his hands off Brigitte Nielsen's ass and stops showing off to his bodyguards, maybe they wouldn't have problems with time". Stallone was shocked that somebody would talk to him that way, but he toned down his ego for a few weeks. In an interview, Waite also said that Stallone had a great sense of humor, despite his huge ego. He also confirmed a rumor that Stallone was the true director of the film, calling credited director George P. Cosmatos a good producer, but a bad director."

1 hour ago, Dread said:

My understanding is that this wasn't the only time. There's talk of Stallone ghost-directing Cobra as well. Funny enough, I just rewatched Leviathan last night as it's gone from Tubi in a couple days. Great little Alien/Aliens ripoff from George Cosmatos.

I could have also said Trent Haaga's Citizen Toxie but basically no one would know what I was talking about.

Edit: here it is:

"At one point during filming, Sylvester Stallone complained to cinematographer Ric Waite that they were falling behind, and said he and his crew needed to work harder. Waite responded by saying that if Stallone "gets his hands off Brigitte Nielsen's ass and stops showing off to his bodyguards, maybe they wouldn't have problems with time". Stallone was shocked that somebody would talk to him that way, but he toned down his ego for a few weeks. In an interview, Waite also said that Stallone had a great sense of humor, despite his huge ego. He also confirmed a rumor that Stallone was the true director of the film, calling credited director George P. Cosmatos a good producer, but a bad director."

George Cosmatos: The James Marsden of Directors.

• 2 weeks later...