CGS Book of the Month

ALintheUK

Every month the GCS guys alows suggest a comic to check out and I know Yoda listens to the shows as he often send in stuff to them. It was his sponsorship that brought me over here.

This month the book is Arana Digest, its fun and its a quick read

I like the digest format since it is cheap and easy.

Read so far.... THOR, Emma Frost (Yes i'm in my twenties and I checked that out-IT rocked!) Liverwire, Spidergirl.

:twitch:

I love Marvel's digests! So far I've read:

- Livewires

- Machine Teen

- Runaways, vol. 1: Pride & Joy

- Scorpion: Poison Tomorrow

I'm also working my way through:

- Arana (two issues in)

- Gravity (three issues in)

When I first purchased Arana I actually bought it for Jenny, so hopefully she'll get to that one soon.

And I'm glad to know that sponsorship paid off.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what your tastes are, and have listened to only a couple of episodes, so I could well be off base. But I'll throw out some recommendations, anyway:

Nat Turner by Kyle Baker

Star Wars: Clone Wars, volume 5, The Best Blades (even if you're not a Star Wars Fan, it contains the best-reviewed single issue of any Star Wars comic, Star Wars: Jedi--Yoda

Heroes of World of Warcraft, a web-comic based on World of Warcraft. [Recommended not because I or you necessarily play WoW, but it's an interesting intersection between comics and popular videogames.]

Revelations (Dark Horse)

Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi (The first three trades. Yeah, okay, that's two different Star Wars titles. But since your show handles videogames, these three, in light of the videogames significantly based on them, Knights of the Old Republic I and II, might make for an interesting episode.)

Mighty Love (DC/Vertigo) by Howard Chaykin

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea what your tastes are, and have listened to only a couple of episodes, so I could well be off base. But I'll throw out some recommendations, anyway:

Mighty Love (DC/Vertigo) by Howard Chaykin

What is mighty love about? The title intrigues me.

It's a more mature-themed comic book--Chaykin was, after all, important to the development of Heavy Metal--which posits the existence of a super hero and a super heroine, who are by day a cop and a defense attourney, and by night patrol the streets as old-school "mystery men"-types. The nature of their day jobs puts them on opposite sides of the legal process, as do their own stated political philosophies. However, they are drawn together by the fact of their "night jobs", which makes them effectively both just vigilantes, operating outside the law to offer a swifter brand of justice. It's fun because it harkens back to the DC of the original, pre-Batman issues of Detective, while allowing for a grittier, sexier depiction of the hunt for justice. Like the dozens of districts-attourneys-cum-masked-heroes who made their way into early DC anthology comics, though, these two had this one adventure, and so far a repeat performance has not been commanded by the publisher. Not sure if this is because it really didn't sell well, or if it was that the publishing arrangements are trickier (Chaykin owns the characters). In either case, it's a shame.

• 1 month later...
I love Marvel's digests! So far I've read:

- Livewires

- Machine Teen

- Runaways, vol. 1: Pride & Joy

- Scorpion: Poison Tomorrow

I'm also working my way through:

- Arana (two issues in)

- Gravity (three issues in)

When I first purchased Arana I actually bought it for Jenny, so hopefully she'll get to that one soon.

And I'm glad to know that sponsorship paid off.

My first post... be gentle.

Have you read the collected Spider-Man/Human Torch "I'm With Stupid"? It's absolutely hysterical, and both my wife and my ten-year-old son loved it.

Have you read the collected Spider-Man/Human Torch "I'm With Stupid"? It's absolutely hysterical, and both my wife and my ten-year-old son loved it.

Nope. When is it set: now or in the past?

And welcome to the forums!

Thanks! I only recently discovered the podcast, and I'm really enjoying it.

It's a five-issue series that takes places over their whole careers: Issue one in set in Spidey's Ditko era, issue two is during the John Romita Sr. years, issue 3 is during the 70's, issue 4 is in the black costume period, and the last issue is more or less now. All that said, while a knowledge of Marvel history doesn't hurt, it's equally enjoyable to someone totally unfamiliar with the characters. I've always loved the semi-combative, incredibly competitive, almost brother-like relationship between the Torch and Spidey, and Dan Slott (She-Hulk, The Thing) captures it PERFECTLY. On top of which, Ty Templeton's artwork is beautiful.

Plus, it's seven bucks. I've spent more than that on books I didn't care for just to complete a run.