The Incredible Hulk

Missy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does look more like the balls out action film the first should have been to be a success, but I don't see anything there to compare with Hulk vs the Army in the desert from the original.

I'm still very excited for this. I do wish they'ed retained the more reptilian Abomination.

Eh, on paper it could be a very good film, but that trailer doesn't really impress me.If anything, it indicates that it could be the same generally-good-but-pretty-flawed-too film that the original Hulk was. One thing's for sure - I can't wait for my all-singing, all-dancing Hulk episode this June!

• 2 weeks later...
Confirmed:

* The Incredible Hulk is not a sequel to the 2003 movie, nor does it present an alternate origins story - it’s more like a total ignoring of it. In fact, the new movie seems to mirror Bruce Banner’s attitude toward the Hulk as seen in the trailer: “I don’t want to control it… I just want to get rid of it.”

* We’ll get a Fugitive-like story structure, with Bruce Banner (Edward Norton) haunted and hunted, trying to find a cure for his gamma-induced bipolar disorder. This means he won’t be in touch with his soulmate, Betty Ross (Liv Tyler), at least initially. However, he’ll still be pursued by her dad, General “Thunderbolt” Ross (William Hurt), who considers Banner/Hulk a living weapon that’s the property of the U.S. Army.

* After trying to capture the Hulk, almost-over-the-hill commando Emil Blonsky (Tim Roth) will get bitten by the gamma bug as well. He actually will want Ross to make him the next overgrown “super soldier” and he’ll succeed… becoming the Abomination, whose sheer strength exceeds even the Hulk’s.

* Comic fans take note: this version of the Abomination won’t sport flapping ears and a frog-like face but a badass exo-skeleton. Having been injected with gamma serum in multiple body parts, his skin and skeletal structure will act as a kind of arsenal. His spine will “flare out” and his elbows become knife-like, not to mention his “heel-spikes” and some funky thing with his, er, tongue.

* Robert Downey Jr. will appear briefly as Tony Stark as he and Ross discuss a possible strategic/business relationship. (Note: Downey won’t appear as Iron Man alongside the Hulk - save that thought until a possible Avengers movie.

* Tim Blake Nelson will play Samuel Sterns, the cellular biologist trying to help Banner. This is the character who eventually undergoes his own transformation into the Hulk’s arch-nemesis, The Leader.

* Needless to say, Stern’s and Banner’s efforts will be unsuccessful - luckily for us. In order to save the human race (and more specifically, the residents of Harlem) from the Abomination, the Hulk needs to be Hulk.

* A pre-"Doc Samson” character (Ty Burrell) will become Betty’s boyfriend during Banner’s long absence from her life. In the movie, regular old “Dr. Samson” will act as Banner’s friend/confidante although it’s unclear whether he’ll actually subject him to psycho-therapy.

* A no-boredom approach seems to have been taken with the movie’s pacing and reveals: we’ll get a very early Hulk-up, promised by the director to occur in the first three minutes. And for the climax, the battle with the Abomination runs (at least in the current cut) to a whopping twenty-six minutes.

* The Hulk will come pre-shrunk. Unlike in the 2003 movie, he’ll be a consistent height and that will be well under ten feet.

* Bruce Banner-martial artist? While in Brazil he’ll take up jujitsu as a way of both calming himself and maintaining a defensive posture if he gets into a scrap. (Does that mean the Hulk will be a kind of ultimate MMA-er, perhaps as the only way to defeat the Abomination? Sounds intriguing.)

Rumored:

* Early on, perhaps in an arctic wasteland, Banner will try to shoot himself but the Hulk will emerge to intervene. Then the story will jump forward to Brazil, where Banner has a working class job in a bottling plant. One day he’ll cut himself, bleed into the product, and some poor stateside soda-swiller will suffer the consequences. That’s how Ross will get him in his sights again.

* Banner will have run-ins with some Brazilian co-workers who are pretty much thugs when not on the job. As perhaps South American culture does not stress Hulk mythology much, they don’t know that they’re not supposed to get Banner mad.

* But before the action and mayhem begin, we’ll be treated to a title card with an insightful quote from a noted expert on the hero archetype, the late Joseph Campbell.

* The Hulk’s origin will be referenced only through flashbacks, possibly in scenes added by Norton during the rewrite.

* Betty Ross will serve as an unintentional femme fatale, being the reason that the Hulk/Banner is caught by Ross and/or the way in which the Abomination tracks him down.

* Meanwhile, General Ross will be having… issues. As a result of obsessing over the Hulk, he’ll withdraw from his family and army buddies and start hitting the bottle.

* Norton will somehow get to act as the Hulk, not just as Banner; that is, not all aspects of the character will be achieved solely through CGI.

* The movie’s POV will sometimes become that of title character, creating a kind of “Hulk-vision.”

* Lou Ferrigno and Stan Lee will each have cameos.

Debunked:

* There will be no “gray Hulk” in the movie.

* We won’t see the Hulk fight a killer whale, a scene that was in the original storyboards.

* Despite the presence of Samuel Sterns, the movie won’t have a multi-villain plot a la Spider-Man 3 and Batman Begins. Instead, look for the Leader to be the featured villain in the sequel.

* There won’t be appearances by any cast members of the 2003 film.

http://movieblog.ugo.com/index.php/movieblog/C1479/

• 2 weeks later...
Shawn Walsh, Image Engine's visual effects executive producer, said his company had people at the live shoot in Toronto and in Rio de Janiero.

Some of the work can be intense. Walsh says the most complex series of shots is something called the Blood Drop Sequence, in which a drop of infected blood falls through three floors of a factory and lands in a bottle.

"That shot has been in production here for more than a year," says Walsh.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7055

Over a year of work on one shot that will probably only be 5-10 seconds? That's taking stuff seriously.

This is a badass poster. It reminds me so much of the old tv show.

theincrediblehulk200804ry5.th.jpg

Imageshack is acting up so go here to see it if it's not showing up.

Well during several interviews they admitted with this reboot, they looked toward the TV Sheries for inspiration. I actually like this, since I loved the TV Show. I hope they give it a "In Memory Of" Bill Bixby thing.

As nice as it would be, Bixby died 15 years ago. I doubt they'll do an "in memory of" for a man the target audience never heard of.

That can't be right. I was a college sophomore when Bill Bixby died.

Oh, fuck. I am old.

As nice as it would be, Bixby died 15 years ago. I doubt they'll do an "in memory of" for a man the target audience never heard of.

They are basing the whole movie off a tv show that their "target audience" has never seen. The only ones excited for the homage is us older people that actually saw it. They already know they have the young audience.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, fuck. I am old.

Ha! If I remember correctly, he died shortly after an appearance on Arsenio Hall that I saw when I was a very young teenager. You are old.

normalabombnd8.jpg

normalblonskymorphxd5.jpg

normalhulkrothag8.jpg

Yowza!

I for one loved the first movie and chalk it up to the fact that people can't handle a Marvel Superhero film by a director who actually knows what he's doing. It's a beautifully made film Hulk Dogs and all.

The bare thought of Liv Tyler being in any movie makes me want to put a gun in my mouth. But I loves me some Norton. So conflicted....Tim Roth is too coo to avoid as well...brain hurting, Abomination looking like high school gym teacher i have tried to forget...

Oh, fuck. I am old.

Ha! If I remember correctly, he died shortly after an appearance on Arsenio Hall that I saw when I was a very young teenager. You are old.

Get off my lawn. Damn hippie.

I for one loved the first movie and chalk it up to the fact that people can't handle a Marvel Superhero film by a director who actually knows what he's doing. It's a beautifully made film Hulk Dogs and all.

I honestly believe that the first Hulk movie is something that people will appreciate more years down the line. It's not perfect - it moves too slowly and it's at least half an hour too long - but there's a LOT of good stuff in there. I love the "comic panel" layout.

The more I watch that film, the more I warm to it. I think it's flawed but it'll be damn interesting to see how these films compare - which I'll do on Comic Reel-lief once this comes out. For the record, I haven't been impressed with either the trailer or screenshots of the new Hulk film, even the ones above. Then again, low expectations going in are probably better than huge ones, right?