The Incredible Hulk

Missy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that I've established my dementia so firmly to the point that Kate Beckinsale is now a synonym for obsessive celebrity crushes.

Oh, and the Ang Lee Hulk ruled. Anyone that disagrees is wrong, quite frankly.

I hear a famous sage voiced his words of wisdom about both Hulk films on Episode 235 of this site's podcast namesake. He pontificated over the superior storytelling and acting of the initial film, whilst recognising that the effects of the secondary film outshone its predecessor and that the action scenes similarly failed to "suck" as hard as the previous effort of 2003. Alas, only Tim Roth emerged with universal praise for his work and the acting talents of Jennifer Connolly left Liv Tyler looking circumspect by a lack of comparable talent. Verily, the sage concluded that both visions were decent, yet flawed at the same time.

Here endeth the lesson.

...Incredible Hulk was better than Iron Man.

Its really not. The final battle is abysmal, I almost slept through everything after he got thrown out of the chopper. It terms of a realistic depiction of characters and their surroundings it made Sin City look like a documentary. The rest of it is just OK, a *** film that was clearly missing some material. Once the directors cut is out I'll be happy to compare the two, but I'm certainly getting Iron Man on DVD ahead of Hulk.

Was the the final battle in Iron Man all that special?

...Incredible Hulk was better than Iron Man.

Its really not. The final battle is abysmal, I almost slept through everything after he got thrown out of the chopper. It terms of a realistic depiction of characters and their surroundings it made Sin City look like a documentary. The rest of it is just OK, a *** film that was clearly missing some material. Once the directors cut is out I'll be happy to compare the two, but I'm certainly getting Iron Man on DVD ahead of Hulk.

Was the the final battle in Iron Man all that special?

No, but it didn't activly make me stop caring. The fact is that I didn't care much about Bruce Banner and I cared even less about his alter-ego, and Iron Man couldn't be more different when it comes to me appreciating the lead character. Yes the final fight in Iron man wasn't great due to the lack of a truly great villian but at the same time you can be damn sure I cared about Tony Stark and was absolutly intrigued to see how he defeated the Iron Monger when his own armour was failing at every turn.

If I could be serious for a minute....

- The Ang Lee Hulk film would be great if the action scenes weren't so god awful. Piss-poor action, otherwise no real complaints

- The requel element soured me on Incredible Hulk before I even saw it, but you've got to give it props for everything it set out to accomplish. I'll buy the DVD, if only because the theatrical cut really hurt Banner's development. The action and effects were leaps and bounds ahead of the 2003 film and the story was pretty good, although like Stavros, I wasn't emotionally invested in the final fight in the way I should've been.

- Iron Man is better than both films.

- The Ang Lee Hulk film would be great if the action scenes weren't so god awful. Piss-poor action, otherwise no real complaints

I'm going to right ahead and disagree with you there. The tank battle? The chopper battle? The escape from the facility? All of these were magic. Yes the fucking dogs were shit and the giant mucus mushroom cload at the end sucked but I really dug all the Hulk vs Military stuff. I actually dug that in the second one too, Hulk on a rampage is the best thing about these films.

I'm going to right ahead and disagree with you there. The tank battle? The chopper battle? The escape from the facility? All of these were magic. Yes the fucking dogs were shit and the giant mucus mushroom cload at the end sucked but I really dug all the Hulk vs Military stuff. I actually dug that in the second one too, Hulk on a rampage is the best thing about these films.

I may be getting this wrong as it's all off the top of my head, but the first action scene in a Hulk movie came 50 minutes into the film. Even if you're trying to argue the origins/set-up aspect, Batman Begins had a fight 5 minutes into the film. The escape from the facility isn't really that memorable and whilst I did actually like parts of the chopper battle, those helicopters must be adamantium lined given how they refused to explode. Hulk vs Military was done MUCH better in Incredible Hulk.

I may be getting this wrong as it's all off the top of my head, but the first action scene in a Hulk movie came 50 minutes into the film. Even if you're trying to argue the origins/set-up aspect, Batman Begins had a fight 5 minutes into the film. The escape from the facility isn't really that memorable and whilst I did actually like parts of the chopper battle, those helicopters must be adamantium lined given how they refused to explode. Hulk vs Military was done MUCH better in Incredible Hulk.

And don't forget Hulk kicking Blonsky into the tree. Fuck, I still love that.

Maybe its just taste but they captured the running/jumping nature of the Hulk perfectly the first time, and the music free action left you free to be awed by the content instead of the trimmings. Yes the fight leading to and with Blonsky was great but Hulk beating tanks with other tanks was just more fun. Plus not everything explodes when you hit it. It was refreshing to see a vehicle NOT explode in Hollywood, plus it meant Hulk wasn't killing anyone.

Re: the timing of the action I really don't think I was arguing about that, the original needed better pacing overall. I'm just saying that some of the action when it came was top notch.

Maybe its just taste but they captured the running/jumping nature of the Hulk perfectly the first time, and the music free action left you free to be awed by the content instead of the trimmings. Yes the fight leading to and with Blonsky was great but Hulk beating tanks with other tanks was just more fun. Plus not everything explodes when you hit it. It was refreshing to see a vehicle NOT explode in Hollywood, plus it meant Hulk wasn't killing anyone.

I agree that it's refreshing to see less explosions in Hollywood but helicopters falling out of the sky should theoretically explode (again though, I don't quite remember the specifics of the chopper battle as it's 4 months since I watched the film). The tank scene and the jumping were fine, although I'm not sure I consider the jumping scenes to be "action", per se.

Re: the timing of the action I really don't think I was arguing about that, the original needed better pacing overall. I'm just saying that some of the action when it came was top notch.

No, I know you weren't, but I brought it up to emphasise my point. A film about the Hulk should not be leaving action scenes that far down the line - it needed better integration rather than build up, and build up, and build up until finally we see.....Hulk beat up some exploding mutant dogs. In a scene that was intended to last even longer than it did.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Incredible Hulk is a good movie it's not better then Iron Man it's better then the 2003 Hulk though

The Dark Knight is the only film that equals up to Iron Man

agreed those were the only 2 movies I set out to see in theaters this summer

I dunno, I like the poetry and imagery of the 2003 Hulk, but the weightless nature of Hulk and his movements always killed me. Norton's Hulk looked better, moved better and had better action sequences. Add in the fact that Ed Norton is roughly twelve times the actor Eric Bana is is, and you have much better movie.

As far as Iron Man, I really believed in Norton's Hulk more than RDJ's Stark. I know that's practically blasphemy around here, but when I saw Stark, I saw Robert Downey Jr. mugging it up, when I saw Edward Norton, I saw Bruce Banner, I saw a tortured soul and I saw a man seeking redemption. Throw in a GREAT end sequence with Abomination and Tim Roth's very capable Blonsky, opposed to Obidiah Stane being evil just because he is, and I really think you have a better movie. Hulk was geared more toward fans of the character, where Iron Man HAD to introduce people to the character.

Add in the fact that Ed Norton is roughly twelve times the actor Eric Bana is is, and you have much better movie.

Yeah, except in films they're in. I'm a huge Norton fan but I certainly preferred Bana's bersion of Bruce. Bana's a damn fine actor, just check out Munich. Norton better overall through his career but he's been prominant for much longer anyway.