Better "MK" series

Missy

Better "MK" series  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Before Deadly Alliance and Deception came out, I would have gone with Mario Kart, but those games completely re-invented the Mortal Kombat series, making it more than just a special move game that had blood, but into a real fighting game with combos, reversals, inspired levels, great character depth, huge storyline usually unscene in fighting games and so forth.

Plus in my opinion, the best Mario Kart was the original on the SNES, so it loses points for me for failing to ever improve over the years, even though Nintendo tried with a new gimmick for the Gamecube version.

Mortal Kombat.

Mortal Kombat:

Mortal Kombat 1: Revolutionary in getting hardcore violence into video games. Really helped put arcades on the map.

Mortal Kombat 2: Easily the greatest game in the franchise's storied history. Took everything that was great about the first one and made it all 10x better.

MK3, MK4, MK: Special Forces, and MK Mythologies: ..........ugh. So many bad games in one time period... And during this time, MK Annihilation came out. I'll give Mario Kart one thing--that franchise never churned out a movie as horrific as MKA. This is the Dark Ages of Mortal Kombat.

MK Trilogy: Let you play as every character in MK history (up to that point) in one game. The engine was still the same as MK3, though, so it gets points deducted for that.

MK: Deadly Alliance and Deception: Shitloads of extra games, insane graphics, a really good back story, and Deception was the best game in the series since MK2.

MarioKart:

Super Mario Kart: Brilliant game with a fresh idea--cart racing--that has been often imitated, but never duplicated (until MarioKart DS, which eclipsed it in spades).

MarioKart 64: Huge disappointment. Not even close to being the big step up it should have been.

MarioKart Double Dash: Another disappointment with almost nothing new, and graphics comparable to the 64's version. And the fact that it took over 18 months for the damn thing to drop in price at retail stores is absurd in and of itself.

Mario Kart Super Circuit: I tried this game 6 times and each time, I only played one track and put it down. It just bored me to tears. Plus, the controls were fucking atrocious.

MarioKart DS: Fan-fucking-tastic. The Wi-Fi capabilities alone are enough to make this the best MarioKart ever. But the terrific controls, the dual screen usage, and new features make it so much better than its three closest predecessors combined, I can't even begin to describe it.

= = =

The Mortal Kombat franchise simply has a higher percentage of games that are of high quality than the MarioKart franchise does. Yeah, Kombat has its share of shitty games (and a hideously bad movie), but they are evened out by the godliness of MK, MK2, MKDA, and MKD.

Before Deadly Alliance and Deception came out, I would have gone with Mario Kart, but those games completely re-invented the Mortal Kombat series, making it more than just a special move game that had blood, but into a real fighting game with combos, reversals, inspired levels, great character depth, huge storyline usually unscene in fighting games and so forth.

Other games had been doing that for years by that point. Seems like they should lose a point or two for taking so damn long to add those very basic elements into their fighting franchise.

Other games had been doing that for years by that point. Seems like they should lose a point or two for taking so damn long to add those very basic elements into their fighting franchise.

I know other fighting games had those elements, that's why I made sure to say that they re-invented the MK series, not fighting games in general. Yes, it took them awhile to upgrade the fighting system to more than special moves, but when they did, it was a complete 180 from the direction the series was going. I'll be honest, I was never a big fan of the original MK games, my wife completely loves them to an almost scary level, but I was more into street fighter. The DA and Deception versions made me love the series and actually made me want to take the time to learn everything, to understand the characters and story, and get everything down.

With Mario Kart, Nintendo just put out the same game but on a different platform. The SNES version was an amazing game, the 64 version was basically Mario Kart 1.5, with no improvement over the original, The Gamecube version, while trying the gimmick of having 2 drivers in a cart, also seemed like a shallow upgrade, and the hand held version on the DS seems like the only worthy succesor, mostly inpart to the WiFi option.

So both games are very guilty of remaining stagnant, and failing to improve over the various incarnations. I just feel that when the games did decide to progress further, Mortal Kombat did it in a bigger way, and pulled it off better.