The First Avenger: Captain America

Missy

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, another seven went up in the time since I last looked, and it's jumped to 54%. Most of the complaints seem to be about it being setup and stuff they dont understand, which on a basic readthrough of reviews sounds like plot bits for the Avengers.

I read one of the reviews, which said it was shit, and then the commentators said the review of the film was shit, and that the writer knew nothing.

After reading these, I realised I couldn't give a fuck about reading the reviews, and would rather just watch the film for myself.

Seeing as critics were largely out of their minds when it came to the last two big superhero movies, I honestly couldn't care less what kind of reviews this gets. It's not like the genre lends itself well to them anyway.

Okay, my non-spoilery quick review now that I'm home and not typing on my phone.

Honestly, the movie works on a number of levels. It is, primarily, a Super Hero movie. But it's also a war movie with weird science elements which I've always loved. I'm nearly tempted to watch a double feature of this and Inglorious Basterds. Chris Evans pulls Cap off perfectly and I think this is his first step to either becoming a major action star or getting more dramatic roles. Hugo Weaving is awesome at the Red Skull and does a fucking terrific job. The man has made his career on villainy and he doesn't disappoint. There are some missteps. The framing sequence leaves something to be desired and the love subplot has one of the artificial misunderstandings that make me hate love subplots in any movie. Still, I'd say this is my favorite movie of this summer so far. It only has a couple more films as competition.