The First Avenger: Captain America

Missy

Just saw it and by and large liked it. Weaving, Tucci, and both Jones' (Tommy Lee and Toby) were all great but I didn't enjoy it as much as Thor or X-Men: First Class, in part because Steve Rogers was much less interesting than the protagonists of those films and the co-stars of his own, and because of the aforementioned misunderstanding bullshit. Nonetheless, Evans did the best with what he was given.

On a completely different note, that WWII advert song was way too long and extremely grating.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brief thoughts: FUCK YEAH. A few issues, but not enough to detract from the overall awesome.

There were a few weird things in how they chose to stage some major scenes and an odd continuity thing, but I'll get into that later. For now? Go see this, immediately.

Bit more thoughts, spoilers:

Yeah, Peggy as the shoehorned in love interest kinda sucked, that subplot could have probably been cut, but hey, whatev.

I love that both Hydra and stuff with Cap get equal billing in terms of movie time. Makes Weaving all the more terrifying as we build to the reveal of what's under his skin. BTW, him and the guy who played Zola kicked all the asses.

Loved the way that we also get stuff that's clearly tying in to both Thor and towards it seems the eventual Avengers movie, as well, and parallels to stuff we've already seen in the modern universe. Especially loved the way that they chose to frame the movie around Cap being discovered in the ice and then waking up in the modern day. The entire movie, like Will said, would make an excellent double bill with Inglourious Basterds, just for how it's a war movie, and the sheer kickass involved in the whole thing.

There's only two issues I had: one seemingly interesting continuity thing and the way that some major scenes just seemed to abruptly cut off.

Howard mentions vibranium and that it's super rare, but still existant. However, isn't vibranium what Tony synthesized for the first time ever in IM2?

Also, the way that the major confrontation of the movie and the end just seem to stop abruptly are just kind of weird. I understand that stuff with Johann apparently being drawn up the worldtree somewhere in the middle of his and Cap's pretty awesome fight is probably a major plot point for Avengers, but it just seems to cut things off abruptly. And additionally, with Cap just kind of dealing with the whole holy shit I'm in THE FUTURE and Peggy's probably dead thing but it cutting away to credits as it's sinking in just feels like a cop out.

Overall, definitely something I'd see again.

Yeah, Peggy as the shoehorned in love interest kinda sucked, that subplot could have probably been cut, but hey, whatev.

I thought that actually made a ton of sense, (A) because it didn't feel all that forced; they had enough chemistry to make it work, and (B) it personalizes Cap's "man out of time" problem for future films. Otherwise he'd have lost basically nothing in the present-day, being an orphan with no friends outside the Howling Commandos.

Howard mentions vibranium and that it's super rare, but still existant. However, isn't vibranium what Tony synthesized for the first time ever in IM2?

They never named it in IM2.

Also, the way that the major confrontation of the movie and the end just seem to stop abruptly are just kind of weird. I understand that stuff with Johann apparently being drawn up the worldtree somewhere in the middle of his and Cap's pretty awesome fight is probably a major plot point for Avengers...

My theory is that that's going to be resolved in future Cap films, rather than Avengers.

Paramount Pictures and Marvel Studios' Captain America: The First Avenger opened in first place at the domestic weekend box office with an estimated $65.8 million from 3,715 theaters. Averaging $17,719 per theater, the Joe Johnston-directed comic book adaptation narrowly beat Thor's opening weekend of $65.7 million. The final figures on Monday will show whether that remains the case. Made for about $140 million, not counting marketing costs, the action adventure stars Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Dominic Cooper, Toby Jones, Neal McDonough, Derek Luke and Stanley Tucci. The studios say that 40% of the ticket sales came from 3D theaters.

This pretty much kills Harry Potter's chance at becoming the biggest grossing film of all time.

And you know Bucky is showing up as the Winter Soldier somewhere down the line.

The actor's been signed on for five or six films, so yeah. Totally.

I really had issues with the idea of Bucky surviving that fall, until I thought of something. Where did Steve find Bucky? In Zola's fucking lab. Zola was totally experimenting on Bucky.

And you know Bucky is showing up as the Winter Soldier somewhere down the line.

The actor's been signed on for five or six films, so yeah. Totally.

I really had issues with the idea of Bucky surviving that fall, until I thought of something. Where did Steve find Bucky? In Zola's fucking lab. Zola was totally experimenting on Bucky.

As for the film itself, I loved it. My only complaint (and this is minor) is that I wish we got to see more WWII stuff, down the line. I understand the need to have Cap to the modern day, but god damn, I loved every minute of this. I don't know if a modern set Cap movie can hold a candle to this.

It's so refreshing to have a film like this. Yeah, it's taking big hunks out of Indiana Jones and Superman, but I really don't care. What a fun flick.

I honestly don't think they could have made a better Cap movie. This thing was awesome. They changed what needed to be changed, like how it wouldn't have made sense for him to have a teen sidekick. This is the first time a love interest didn't bother me because they didn't shove it down our throats the whole movie. He didn't know how to talk to women, and she didn't want to be unprofessional. It's not like they even did anything besides kissing once.

Oh, and Tommy Lee Jones is still a badass.

What a great film. I'd say it's second to the original Iron Man for best Marvel movie.

The second he jamp in front of that grenade and went to take the brunt of it to save the troops, made me not care that he once played the wise cracking Human Torch.

Him being skinny for a good part of the movie really helped make me care about Steve and not just Captain America, and the reason why he has the stupid looking costume makes sense. They only made him a new proper costume after he saves 400 soldiers from Hyrdra.

I didn't like the montage of him taking down Hydra, it felt like it was from an 80's film and I was just waiting for "I need a hero" to play.

Red Skull was awesome and the ending has got to be setting up for a sequel with the Red Skull coming back in the modern times.

Shield trying to make him think he was still in the 1940's was good with the music and baseball game and scenery, if only Steve didn't go to the game that day. And it ends with his only regret being that he never got to take Peggy for that dance he promised her.

It also did what Marvel wants to hear, I give a fuck about Captain America now, in that I want to read some of his best stories and have added to my amazon wishlist the first Brubaker Captain America Omnibus and when I get a chance I'm going to take a look at the first issue of the new Captain America series by him.

I hope Tommy Lee Jones is signed on for more films, his character was such a bad ass. Like I said my favourit scene was when Steve single-handedly took out the grenade for the good of his platoon.

Overall I fucking loved the movie, and will think about buying the blu ray when it comes out. Also, fuck yeah! I can't wait for the Avengers and then for that to spin off into more solo sequel movies where other people can show up from time to time. Just like in the comics.

God damn that was fun. Being in the UK I know a fair few people who are going to see this and a fair few who won't even consider it because of the idea they have of it being some rah rah jingoistic pro American thing. To be honest, I think it walked the line between staying true to that original idea whilst also making the whole thing relatable extremely well. The whole thing was a lot of fun, the Red Skull was a good villain, and we got to see a lot of Cap's WW2 supporting cast, making his eventual dislocation from time that much more jarring. I'm really pumped for the Avengers, but I'm almost as pumped to see where those various characters go from there. Iron Man 3, Cap 2, Thor 2, these films will presumably fill a gap before Avengers 2 and it's going to be awesome to see this cohesive expanded universe come to fruition.

I love Marvel for putting all this together, and I love that it's working.

I wish we'd gotten some of the Invaders. They snuck a the Human Torch in there at the Stark Expo (how awesome was it that they linked Iron Man in so strongly? These aren't adjoining universes, they're completely inseparable) but that was about all aside from Bucky. However I get that adding more superhumans weakens the idea of Cap as this unique figure at that time.

Also very excited to see where they go with Bucky next time. A modern day Cap movie is going to be an incredible proposition.