The Master

The First Avenger: Captain America

Now that he's something set in the real world, I could really see David Boreanaz in the role, but I'm probably alone in that. And at 40 he's probably too old. Same as Jeffery Donovan from Burn Notice, 40 years old.

I still like D-Man's Di Caprio call, could definitely see that working.

Meanwhile, the studio is also testing leads for the female role of Peggy. So far, they're looking at Keira Knightley, Alice Eve and Emily Blunt.

You know what the first thing that came to mind when I read that without realizing this was about Captain America?

peggy.jpg

Chris Evans may be on his way to pulling double duty in the Marvel Universe.

The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision blog is today reporting that the actor best known amongst comic fans as Johnny "The Human Torch" Storm in Fox's two "Fantastic Four" movies has been offered the role of Steve "Captain America" Rogers by Marvel Films and director Joe Johnston. Neither Marvel or Evans agency CAA would confirm that the part was on the table for Evans to take, but the star was on the recent short list of candidates who were reading to take the lead in the World War II-era superhero movie titled "The First Avenger: Captain America" during weeks of wide speculation and rumor.

If Evans does indeed take the part, it will be the fourth comics role he's played in the past decade as he'll co-star in two upcoming comic book films slated for summer. The actor plays sharp shooter Jensen in the April 23 adaptation of Andy Diggle and Jock's Vertigo series "The Losers" and evil ex-boyfriend Lucas Lee in Edgar Wright's take on Bryan Lee O'Malley's "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The Universe" slated for August 13 release.

However, Captain America would be the first leading superhero role for the star, whose only box office experience anchoring a film came with the 2009 action flick "Push." If rumors of Marvel hoping to land an actor with some recognizability but also without a major salary demand, Evans could fit the bill.

Source

It looks like Chris Evans has accepted the role.

To me, this smells of the X-Men: The Last Stand "Oh, shit! We're running out of time! Rush! Rush! Rush!" syndrome, but we'll see how it turns out.

Marvel movies- Bringing you dark edgy Spider-man and light-hearted quipping Captain America.

Maybe it'll turn out ok, but I do not see this guy punching Hitler. He also needs to bulk up a little, he's too slim. He should be going whatever Michael Chiklis was doing prior to Fantastic Four. Dude just showed up on set and they sprayed him orange, amazing commitment to the role.

He should be going whatever Michael Chiklis was doing prior to Fantastic Four. Dude just showed up on set and they sprayed him orange, amazing commitment to the role.

Or what Jake Gyllenhall did for the Prince of Persia role. That guy is freakishly ripped.

Overall, though, this is kinda "ehh..."

It's probably just that I've only ever seen Chris Evans in FF, so I can't quite imagine him as a straightforward heroic-type character.

I think the biggest problem filling the role is the multiple picture deal commitment that came with it. You basically will be Captain America for at least the next decade. I get the feeling a lot of people turned it down because of that.

I think the biggest problem filling the role is the multiple picture deal commitment that came with it. You basically will be Captain America for at least the next decade. I get the feeling a lot of people turned it down because of that.

Yeah, it was a 9-picture deal.

Granted, most of those appearances are cameos (like Nick Fury in Iron Man), but still. That's at least 4-5 full films.

Bond movies have the same problem, with people not wanting to be typecast.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I fucking hate cross universe casting with actors in comic book movies. Christ, there are that many waiters out there waiting to be discovered, pick one of them. Or the 100's of other actors that are plying their trade in TV, bit movie parts, etc... or movie stars from other countries for jimminy cricket... ok, rant over. And I'm not sure if it's better or worse that he's now 2 characters in the Marvel universe.... I know the probably aren't doing another continuation of the FF movies, but they weren't that long ago to be out of peoples minds.

Bond movies have the same problem, with people not wanting to be typecast.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I fucking hate cross universe casting with actors in comic book movies. Christ, there are that many waiters out there waiting to be discovered, pick one of them. Or the 100's of other actors that are plying their trade in TV, bit movie parts, etc... or movie stars from other countries for jimminy cricket... ok, rant over. And I'm not sure if it's better or worse that he's now 2 characters in the Marvel universe.... I know the probably aren't doing another continuation of the FF movies, but they weren't that long ago to be out of peoples minds.

Actors doing multiple comic roles isn't all that rare (Halle Berry, Sam Elliott, Jessica Alba, Mickey Rourke, Samuel L Jackson, Ben Foster, James Marsden, Morgan Freeman, Mark Boone Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Eva Mendes, Nicolas Cage, Danny Huston). I see what you're saying with regards to the specific same universe, but really, they're only under the same umbrella because they're Marvel characters. As long as F4 stays with Fox, there's no danger of Evans having his characters meet.

Is the casting uninspired? Yes, but the given release dates of Marvel Studios have always been an issue. Some films rise to them admirably (Spider-Man 2) others don't (X-Men 3) so it remains to be seen how good this film ends up being.

It is not clear if the movie version of Barnes sets up the Winter Soldier identity. Marvel would only confirm that Stan is playing Barnes.

Insiders also say Stan has signed on for five or six pictures.

If he's in there for five movies, I'd guess that Winter Soldier plays into Captain America 2.

Yay. :)

many may disagree, but I kinda think it would be better if this movie is one long story covering his whole career in World war 2, and then maybe even before that too. Then freeze him at the end of the movie. To then be found at the beginning of the Avengers movie.

many may disagree, but I kinda think it would be better if this movie is one long story covering his whole career in World war 2, and then maybe even before that too. Then freeze him at the end of the movie. To then be found at the beginning of the Avengers movie.

That's what they're doing. It has modern "bookends," but the movie basically takes place near-entirely in WWII.

IGN caught up with Chris Evans at "The Losers" press junket and asked about his audition for "The First Avenger: Captain America." The site wanted to know if he read any lines or put on a costume.

"I didn't actually read for it," he replied. "But I knew a lot of the guys at Marvel. We had an existing relationship. It's just luck. It just came my way."

Source