Biggest video game badass tournament

Missy

Much like the Star Wars tournament from last year, I want to run a tournament to crown the biggest video game badass of all-time. There will be 32 characters included in this series; so far I've come up with 12:

- Kratos (God of War)

- Solid Snake (Metal Gear / Metal Gear Solid series)

- Dante (Devil May Cry series)

- Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden series)

- Master Chief (Halo series)

- Samus Aran (Metroid Series)

- The Prince (Prince of Persia series)

- Claude "Fido" Speed (GTA III)

- Tommy Vercetti (GTA: Vice City)

- CJ (GTA: San Andreas)

- Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell series)

- Link (The Legend of Zelda series)

Before you list your nominations, I want to clarify the word "badass". In the context of this tournament, a badass is someone who looks cool and will kill you without second thought because:

01. They're evil, callous bastards. (RE: Kratos, Tommy Vercetti)

02. It's "the right" thing to do. (RE: The Prince, Link)

03. You got in their way. (RE: Claude Speed)

04. The fate of the world hangs in the balance. (RE: Sam Fisher, Solid Snake)

05. They want revenge. (RE: CJ, Ryu Hayabusa)

So unless you can make a strong case for characters like Sonic and Mario, they shouldn't be nominated.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a PM James sent me:

This is just a list I concocted off the top of my head, so choose whomever you want.

Sephiroth (FFVII)

Cloud Strife (FFVII)

Kefka Palazzo (FFVI)

Auron (FFX)

Id (Xenogears)

Jedah Domah (Darkstalkers)

Demitri Maximoff (Darkstalkers)

Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)

Donovan Baine (Darkstalkers)

Jon Talbain (Darkstalkers)

Ganondorf (Zelda)

Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)

Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)

Akuma (Street Fighter)

I'm sure I could think of more, but this should do for now. I may have a follow-up list later on.

Some other opinions:

--Are you really going to have three GTA characters? Isn't that a bit much considering their activities are all practically identical just in a different city?

--I don't think we should include characters that are traditionally from other media (i.e., Punisher and Hulk)

But that's just my two cents.

By no means are any of the guys I named 100% locks; as of right now I'm just throwing names out there. So we may wind up with only one of the main GTA characters.

As for The Hulk and Punisher, I too am leery about them making the final cut.

I agree with James that characters that originated in other media should be off limits.

Here's how I'd do it, personally.

RPG Bracket

1) Sephiroth (Final Fantasy 7)

2) Magus (Chrono Trigger)

3) Id (Xenogears)

4) Auron (Final Fantasy X)

5) Kefka (Final Fantasy 6)

6) Kain (Legacy of Kain)

7) Alucard (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)

8) Frog (Chrono Trigger)

Fighting Bracket

9) Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)

10) Akuma (Street Fighter)

11) Geese Howard (King of Fighters)

12) Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)

13) Nightmare (Soul Calibur)

14) Ryu Hayabusa (Dead or Alive/Ninja Gaiden)

15) Kirby (Super Smash Brothers) Shut up. He was a BEAST in that game.

16) Donovan Baine (Darkstalkers)

Adventure Bracket

17) Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

18) Solid Snake (Metal Gear)

19) The Prince (Prince of Persia)

20) Link (Legend of Zelda)

21) Samus Aran (Metroid)

22) Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)

23) Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell)

24) Kratos (God of War)

Action Bracket

25) Dante (Devil May Cry)

26) Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)

27) Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim)

28) Agent 47 (Hitman)

29) Strider Hiyru (Strider)

30) Duke Nukem (Duke Nukem)

31) Tommy Vercetti (Grand Theft Auto: Vice City)

32) Zero (Mega Man X)

Not to be pedantic (not sure that's the word) but don't we have an Earth-2 greatest videogames thing to run down first? Granted, that's not a tournament, it's just the video game element of the tournament that reminded me of it.

Not to be pedantic (not sure that's the word) but don't we have an Earth-2 greatest videogames thing to run down first? Granted, that's not a tournament, it's just the video game element of the tournament that reminded me of it.

That's one of those projects we'll get to eventually, but is too big for the site as it stands. (Basically, I need a lot of help nominating the games, compiling the final list and writing snippets about each title.)

That's one of those projects we'll get to eventually, but is too big for the site as it stands. (Basically, I need a lot of help nominating the games, compiling the final list and writing snippets about each title.)

I wasn't aware of this previously, but I'll offer my services for that.

BTW, cvskin, there was a Vandal Hearts 2, not to mention there's an adaptation coming to the DS.

BTW, cvskin, there was a Vandal Hearts 2, not to mention there's an adaptation coming to the DS.

Yes I know, I should have worded the member title better. Isn't the DS version just a port of the first Vandal Hearts, anyways?

Other than the videogame tournament, whatever happend to the horror-movie villian tournamnet?

Other than the videogame tournament, whatever happend to the horror-movie villian tournamnet?

It wasn't a tournament per se. It was slated to be an article.

After tallying all of the votes, I handed it off to Cash (he was going to write mini bios for each villain), but work, school and personal issues have put it on the shelf.

If/when the greatest game list ever gets off the ground, I'd gladly compile the stats, write blurbs about the games, and whatever else you need help with. It still really interests me.

Very cool. Thanks.

I've considered shrinking the list down to 25 (five games over five days), but we'll see when the time comes.

I guess this is as good a place as any to let you all know we will still do the anime characters tourney. I've been working here and there on it and I may trim it down to 32 characters. I haven't decided yet.

I forgot all about that!

I guess this is as good a place as any to let you all know we will still do the anime characters tourney. I've been working here and there on it and I may trim it down to 32 characters. I haven't decided yet.

I forgot all about that!

As I'm sure everyone else had, as well. (Not that I blame you, mind you; it's my fault anyway.)