Iron Man

I didn't think it was all that great. The first 45 minutes were pretty cool, and i liked Robert Downey Jr in the role (when he was spouting off the one-liners) but after that the whole thing turned into a boring, cliched, dragged out predictable mess. Honestly who didn't see that villian reveal coming the second the character was introduced at the beginning of the movie ???? The terrible dialogue, the waste of a supporting cast, and the stupid drawn out battle at the end that looked it was a fucking video game. I seriously don't see how anyone thinks this is the best comic book movie ever ? It's not even the best Marvel movie either (not even close).

Dude, and I'm completely serious when I ask this, do you like... anything?

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but you play Devil's Advocate so frequently around here that you either have unrealistically high expectations or you're going out of your way to disagree with everyone.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated totals:

Variety reports that Iron Man earned $33.4 million on Friday domestically, scoring the second-best Friday in history for a non-sequel after the first Spider-Man.

Overseas, the comic book adaptation grossed at least $30 million Wednesday and Thursday.

Factoring in Thursday night shows, the summer's first tentpole has grossed a sizeable $38.5 million domestically in its first one-and-a-half days. The film is playing in 4,105 theaters.

Friday's haul is the third best for the first weekend in May after last year's Spider-Man 3 ($59.8 million), 2002's Spider-Man ($39.4 million) and besting 2003's X2: X-Men United ($31.2 million).

Iron Man should be able to jump the $90 million mark for the three-and-a-half days. In 2002, Spider-Man grossed $114.8 million in its opening weekend. The final three-day weekend for "X2" clocked in at $85.6 million.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7160

Okay, this was just the first part of an awesome day for me as a whole. I don't know how it'll stand up to repeated viewings, but this movie freaking rocked. So much fun.

Conversations at lunch afterwards:

"He has a baby... on his chest."

"You mean, like, the symbol on his shirt, or..."

"No. A baby."

"An actual baby?"

"Yeah."

"On his chest?"

"Yeah."

Pause. "I don't understand."

"Okay. There's this baby..."

"I get that."

"... and it's strapped to his chest."

"As a shield?"

Then, we begin the caravan to the New England Comics, where not only is it Free Comic Book Day, but they're having their annual 50% off sale. I got a month's worth of reading material for $16, and in addition to the sanctioned freebies (Got my Owly on), he was giving away backstock of books be couldn't sell... such as Cable #1.

Best Day Ever.

Out of curiosity, what would you say was the best Marvel movie?

X-2: X-Men United is the best in my opinion. I am also quite fond of Blade II.

Dude, and I'm completely serious when I ask this, do you like... anything?

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but you play Devil's Advocate so frequently around here that you either have unrealistically high expectations or you're going out of your way to disagree with everyone.

Yes i do indeed like things lol. When a topic gets brought up on one of the said things i like, I will be sure to gush over it.

In relation to Iron Man i had really low expectations for it going in, as i don't really care for the character and i wasn't impressed by much of anything that i saw ahead of time. I do like Jon Favreau, and Robert Downey Jr. though so i figured i would go see it to support them, and just maybe it might suprise me and be awesome.... but it wasn't. The real shame was that the first 30-45 minutes were really good but just like Ang Lee's Hulk the second it became a "superhero" movie, my intrested level dwindled and it just continued to drag on from there. That's the problem with these kinds of movie when you make your characters more intresting out of the costumes than in them because everytime they are in costume the whole flick just feels like it's slumming it. If the superhero side of the movie wasn't so generic, it might of come together better. I also have a distaste for live action movies that overly rely on CGI, so that didn't help the matter.

It wasn't a terrible movie but it wasn't a great movie either. I also have no real nostalgia for Iron Man, The Avengers, or Nick Fury so all the little refrences didn't really do much for me which seemed to be the highlight of the movie for a lot of other people. On the plus side the cinematogrpahy was beautiful, and Downey Jr. was awesome as usual (although he was really just doing his same old schtick). Glad you dug it but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Just got back from it and I absolutely loved it. If friends who haven't seen it want to see it, I'd go again.

One niggly bit that I didn't like was the scene where Ms Potts went to Tony's office she was being all sneaky, looking over her shoulder. Doesn't she have total access? Why did she just walk in confidently? But I love Ms Paltrow, so no biggy :)

Also, I'm glad they moved the Nick Fury thing to after the credits, beacuse I doubt many people would get the reference, myself included.

I agree that it is a very modern movie and hardly felt like a superhero movie at all, almost like a Arnie/Commando type movie.

Oh, I didn't pick the voice of the computer system until the end of the movie and saw his name in the credits. Just logged on to IMDB and his name isn't listed on the Iron Man site.

Just got back from it and I absolutely loved it. If friends who haven't seen it want to see it, I'd go again.

One niggly bit that I didn't like was the scene where Ms Potts went to Tony's office she was being all sneaky, looking over her shoulder. Doesn't she have total access? Why did she just walk in confidently? But I love Ms Paltrow, so no biggy :)

Also, I'm glad they moved the Nick Fury thing to after the credits, beacuse I doubt many people would get the reference, myself included.

I agree that it is a very modern movie and hardly felt like a superhero movie at all, almost like a Arnie/Commando type movie.

Oh, I didn't pick the voice of the computer system until the end of the movie and saw his name in the credits. Just logged on to IMDB and his name isn't listed on the Iron Man site.

Stark was shut out of the company and she was his assistant. She had every right to be nervous.

Who was Jarvis?

I will admit that the Jarvis thing is the only one that really bothered me.

I mean, I understand why they made him an AI and that Pepper was going to have more of a spotlight, but still, it's freaking Jarvis.

The Marvel Comics adaptation, starring Robert Downey Jr. as the guy in the metal suit, hauled in $100.7 million during its opening weekend and $104.2 million since debuting Thursday night, the second-best premiere ever for a nonsequel, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The film also scored overseas with $96.7 million in 57 countries where it began opening Wednesday, putting its worldwide total at $201 million.

Source

NICE!