Fantastic Four

Missy

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, FF in the same league as Spiderman and Xmen is laughable, who are they trying to kid when thier big stars are the Commish and the chick from Idle Hands.

Who was Toby McGuire before Spider-Man? Who was Hugh Jackman before X-Men?

I saw a lot of people ragging on The Hulk before it came out, and it turned out pretty good. I'm waiting to see what they do with FF. From the trailer, it looks like it's going to be really cool.

I hope whaty they are able to do with Hulk & Thing means Collosus will be in X3.

I saw a lot of people ragging on The Hulk before it came out, and it turned out pretty good. I'm waiting to see what they do with FF. From the trailer, it looks like it's going to be really cool.

I hope whaty they are able to do with Hulk & Thing means Collosus will be in X3.

Hulk was atrocious. I can't remember a movie since Batman & Robin where I saw so many uninspiring displays of "acting".

On topic: Uh...this is going to suck because of what they did to Doom. :ph34r:

Instead of going head-to-head with War of the Worlds, 20th Century Fox has opted to push the release date of FF back to July 8.

Smart, considering how some Superhero movies going head to head with others have bombed. LXG comes to mind...

I don't think the movies that launched at the same time had much to do with LXG's failure... :rolleyes:

Seriously, FF in the same league as Spiderman and Xmen is laughable, who are they trying to kid when thier big stars are the Commish and the chick from Idle Hands.

Actually, Toby was quite acclaimed before Spider Man... including oscar talk. So that one falls through.

Actually, Toby was quite acclaimed before Spider Man... including oscar talk. So that one falls through.

Word. Pleasantville's one of my favourite movies and he got good reviews for Cider House Rules/Wonder Boys too.

The mere fact that FF's released after Batman Begins means it's going to suffer (if people judge by trailers, that is). I'll watch it because I mark for Ioan Gruffudd, but I'm not exactly optimistic.

Instead of going head-to-head with War of the Worlds, 20th Century Fox has opted to push the release date of FF back to July 8.

Smart, considering how some Superhero movies going head to head with others have bombed. LXG comes to mind...

I don't think the movies that launched at the same time had much to do with LXG's failure... :rolleyes:

I liked LXG... :(

• 1 month later...

There's a hidden trailer on the movie's website.

Go here click on US Enter or whatever and watch or skip the intro. Once the site has loaded, tap the F4 key a few times until it begins to load the easter egg (trust me, you'll know). Then click on the classified video link and watch the trailer. I thought it was a lot better than the first one. A lot better. Still kinda underwhelming, though.

I actually think that's pretty damn smart to use the F4 key to access another page. Trailer looks meh to me. The one thing that looks INCREDIBLE though is Dr. Doom. From what little I could see, he looked freaking awesome.

Too bad he's being written like shit.

• 3 months later...

I had been looking forward to it for a while, but I think this movie was a disappointment. They managed to tweak the team's origins while remaining faithful to the source materials and the core personalities of each character.

A miscalculation by Reed Richards, combined with the arrogance of Victor von Doom, results in the gang being exposed to a cosmic storm which gives them their powers. Without spoiling anything, the ending screams "sequel".

The problem is that the movie is very light on action. I found it to be boring. The scenes featuring The Thing were entertaining, but I could have done with less character development and more action.

Final grade: D+

:no:

I was not dissapointed. I expected pretty much what I got.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Ok, so firstoff, I don't like putting Doom on the 'team' in space. I understand their need to not explain his powers as they are in the comic books since they come from more than one source (Mystic abilities learned from Monks, the armor itself and the host of abilities that come from it, his own very often overlooked and only occasionally used super power, as well as his command of an army of Doom bots). But at the same time, I feel like putting him in space cheapens him. He is not powerful by chance, he is powerful by choice. Its not a lucky break in a freak accident which made him Dr. Doom, it was his decision to become Dr. Doom that made him what he should be. Doom would never have a problem with his company hitting financial troubles, if there is something Doom can do it is manage resources, which is why in a world run by him there would be no hunger, there would be no want. It would be utopia. A man who cannot keep a business doing well cannot built utopia. Once he was in that suit, the voice over really sounded a little bit off. It was clearly a voice over and it just did not sound right.

The insta-fix cosmic powers machine kinda annoys me too. Especially since it is reversible. Next time the Fantastic Four are in a bind, just grab the local mailman (Stan Lee), paperboy, doorman, etc throw him in and juice that bad boy up and you have yourself the Fantastic Forty in a matter of hours. But worst of all, that machine makes Ben Grimm totally fly in the face of one of his biggest defining character traits, even after the film set up a real feeling of agony for him being the Thing. Now, the 'uh oh, they are going to die unless I change back' is one thing, but when he is offered the chance to turn back into Ben after the fights and he is like 'nah, I like being ugly' that was so totally wrong that it made me weep right in the theater... even more than I did when I saw the trailer for Ice Age 2 show up on screen.

On the bright side... Johnny Storm (pun only half intended) was so on the mark that he made other people look better just by being in the same scene as him. He was dead on for the most part.

Nerd moments abounded in the film, but that was the only thing going for it. The momentary jokes and the camp (which is appropriate for the film, no argument there, I mean come on look at the bad guys the FF historically face). Everyone enjoys when the Thing says "Its clobberin time", and when Johnny says "Flame on" or little nerd out moments when Reed reaches for toilet paper and Sue has trouble controlling her powers while in akward states of dress. But sadly the moments of chuckling (which there were quite a few) were not enough to save this movie.

I gave it 7 out of 10, but I demand that I get at least four dollars of that back. The remaining three were spent on popcorn.