TMNT

Missy

• 3 weeks later...
I really hate SMG: she's fugly and her voice is like pins in my ears.

I know this is your site and all, but get out. :)

I actually think she doesn't get much credit for her acting abilities. I'm not saying she is a star, but she is better than what she is given credit for. And as for her voice work, she uttered the words "you can put it anywhere" on the big screen!

Love Patrick Stewart being involved, his evil guy work is REALLY entertaining.

superherohype has a great interview with the people making the movie.

CS/SHH!: Why remake this film?

Tom Gray: CG is the easy answer. You know if you go back and look at where we were going with the first three, we did $132 million, $84 million and $42 million. The budgets were going the other way. 11, 16, 21. They were going in the wrong direction. After the third picture, we got together with New Line. The next one would be $30 million and maybe it would make $25 million. So it was going in the wrong direction. We let the rights expire and that was with Golden Harvest. I left that company in '98. A lot of people trying to put it together with I think John Woo at one point mentioned. It was a Korean company who tried to put it together on a tax deal that never got going. When I joined this animation company in 2004, the question became what about turtles in CG? Knowing how inexpensive it would be to do it verses live action, because live action would be a hundred and some odd million dollars today. So CG became something that was economically to do, plus we could do a lot more interesting things in CG that we couldn't do in live action for budgetary restrictions. We didn't have the money to make a $140 million picture. I guess that's the real motivation to do it and we felt that there was enough interest out there that we could come back and keep it going.

CS/SHH!: It looks very mature for an animated film. Is it going to be PG-13?

Gray: Well I'll start it and then I'll hand it over to Kevin. We wanted to take care of our fan base first of all. Those were what we called the alums that were with us back in the '90s. We wanted to make a movie that would satisfy them. Push it a little bit, but not get into the PG-13. I think we're very much borderline right now. In fact, we've had to take a look at that on some of the action scenes. That core audience for us in that 7-11. The new generation that's seen it on the television. Then of course most importantly to us are the fan base which is the 18-25 that were there years and years ago. Those are the two segments. Probably not a lot in between, but those segments are the ones we really aimed it at without trying to dumb it down to be too much cowabunga. I'll hand it off to Kevin and it's his inspiration, his vision. What this film would be like in today's market.

Kevin Munroe: It's a family film. It's funny because it has such a negative connotation. It's sort of my first thing I had to get over when we started this. This idea that family is not a bad word and that family does not equal cutesy talking animals. It just means I can go with my dad and he's going to enjoy it just as much as I am. The Imagi guys have this really great sort of philosophy when it comes to the brand. They've tried this whole Venus de Milo and the female turtle and how can we bring the female audience in. They finally got to a place where they're like it's a boy's property. $6 billion dollars later I don't think you can complain about it too much. Just for the movie itself, it's just the quintessential movie. It's just big and fun. I think the one thing we really wanted to avoid with the movie was sort of those inside jokes purposely played for adults. It works for those sort of rollicking comedies. For this I think you bond across the board with all of these different age demographics just through a level of fun and just through a level of adventure. The characters themselves are just more ageless.

CS/SHH!: And what about the story of Leonardo and Raphael becoming the Night Watcher?

Munroe: When you meet with Pete (Laird) he's got his sort of 10 Commandments of what the Turtles can and can't do. There's a few things that are grey areas. One of them was can one of them have an alter ego? They've had other alter egos before. I think Mike was actually a superhero in the new animated series and I think a couple other things they've done. It also comes from characters and the characters-based conflict and the idea that Leonardo wants to make the world a better place so he's going out training and doing this. But, the idea that Raph is going after that same thing that Leo is, but he's going after it in a completely different way and so how do you take all of that frustration and all of that desire to do good. So you just create a character out of that and he has this great alter ego that really becomes this personification of the sort of difference between Leonardo and Raph throughout the entire movie. Those were new creations specifically for the movie.

Go here for the rest.

TMNT Aims For PG

TMNT, the new animated film featuring the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, is contractually obligated to get a PG rating, despite its high level of action. But filmmakers want to go for a higher rating in subsequent movies, if there are any. "The next one we will make PG-13, but we would prefer to make it R," producer Thomas K. Gray said in an interview. "We feel like, though, we have a different standard than other movies."

Gray added: "We will have far less violence than [The Chronicles of] Narnia, ... but because our setting is more reality-based there is ... a higher standard put on us."

Another big problem is that some of the weapons used by the Turtles are banned in other countries, particularly in Europe. The actual use of a nunchaku or metal stars as weapons cannot be shown in the new TMNT movies, although the weapons will be shown hanging from the superheroes' belts. "The film wouldn't be able to be shown in parts of Europe if we had that kind of thing in the movie," Gray said.

Director Kevin Munroe said he had to overcome the stigma of making a "family film." "I had to get over that being a family film is a bad word," he said. "I think this is a big family film that everyone can enjoy, and even I had to get over the negative connotation of that. This is the quintessential Turtle movie, big and fun, so a kid can enjoy it as much as his dad, and vice versa."

Gray said the film will revive the Turtles franchise if the film brings in $100 million domestically. "I think it will do it," he said. "It's going to be a great adventure." TMNT opens March 23. —Mike Szymanski

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=39814

Kinda bummed there's no Shredder.

"We want it to be fun, not too crazy, but believable."

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=39851

They are fucking Ninja Turtles!!!

A lot of these remakes (transformers/turtles) come down to one thing, mass appeal and something is lost when the studio (often not the creator) think that way. I'd like to make a suggestion. Anyone can be creative and develop interesting ideas, but it's the people (the kids of the 80s in this case) who take that idea and make it into this spiritual thing that stands the test of time. Can we please stick with that fanbase?

Example, Casablanca is a good movie. If a studio thinks a remake is needed, respect the people and fans who truly appreciate it... not me a late-20's sci-fi nerd or my wife a late-20's chick flick lover.

just ranting

• 1 month later...

very very very good. The turtles all have very distinguishable characters, the voice acting was all very strong (even though Mako felt wrong despite being the performance I was most looking forward to), the action sequences were amazing, and the plot developed extremely well (it is much deeper than the "monster's on the loose, they're taking over the world, ahhh!" that it has appeared to be from ads/trailers/teasers).

If you go in expecting something good and fun and turtley, you will get it from this film. That and "black betty" will be stuck in your head for another year.

Just saw it a couple of hours ago,

Have to say that the humour was fairly muted, the audience only chuckled at a couple of moments in the film (and this was an audience composed mainly of kids mind you). Other than that though, I did find it to be a decently entertaining flick. Though, if you were on the fence about it, I'd say wait for DVD.

The Warner Bros. animated feature film TMNT grossed an estimated $8.7 million its opening day according to ShowbizData, averaging $$2,798 in 3,110 theatres. That points to a weekend take somewhere between $25 and 27 million, roughly where the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live action movie opened back in 1990.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5392

• 1 year later...