Hellboy 2

JackFetch

Saw the movie on opening night. Have been thinking about it and come to the conclusion that it was a pretty good movie. However, the first movie is superior in my opinion. The Golden Army was great in the expanding of the universe, but I feel like it just lacked something. I just cannot say what that might be.

Saw the movie on opening night. Have been thinking about it and come to the conclusion that it was a pretty good movie. However, the first movie is superior in my opinion. The Golden Army was great in the expanding of the universe, but I feel like it just lacked something. I just cannot say what that might be.

I agree. I think, first off, if I was judging movies on their first ten minutes I would have walked out of HB2.

I liked it but upon more thought, I liked it less and less.

• 2 years later...

I agree. I think, first off, if I was judging movies on their first ten minutes I would have walked out of HB2.

I liked it but upon more thought, I liked it less and less.

It's funny. I was just thinking of HB2 in the same mental breath as Suck Punch, which is opening this weekend. The two films share a very similar design aesthetic. If Sucker Punch were a comic it might be a Mike Mignola / Jim Lee co-production.

HB2 had some great individual moments, some great creature designs and a pretty good villain but the overly jokey, MIB vibe really rubbed me the wrong way. At no point did I feel that anyone was in serious jeopardy nor did I feel the characters were at all invested in the story set before them. They were just going through the motions. It disappointed me because by all accounts Del Toro fought hard to get that sequel made and then he serves up some re-heated leftovers for a script. I revisit the film occasionally just for the great visuals but I usually fast forward through the dumb parts.