Everything Marvel

JackFetch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's Captain America. Period. Anything else is stupid PC bullshit.

100% agreed.

But, upon waking, Nick Fury proposes (RE: forces) a name change because, "Do you really think a child in Iraq is going to see Captain America as a hero?"

All the more reason why Captain America should keep the name so he can show the world what America is supposed to stand for. The funny thing is i really don't think Captain America would translate to film all that well, but it's the one comic property that i constantly think of movie ideas for.

Oddly enough, I think Captain America would be the easiest to make a film of. It would be expensive. But good.

Think Saving Private Ryan + Live Free or Die Hard.

Bitchin'!

I think modern Cap has the potential to be a better movie, but 40s Cap would be a lot of fun.

But...but we already have a perfectly good Captain America film out there.......

:laugh:

Eh, I can see the argument of it being a hard sale overseas - I fucking hate Americans after all, rite guyz?!? - but there's something in the idea that explosions and a starry cast could probably overcome a lot of that business. Even so though, I'd really have the European marketing campaign play down the patriotism aspect and instead make it about the story.

• 3 weeks later...
Marvel executive Peter Cuneo spoke at length today regarding Marvel Studio and their future and stated their decision not to make any R-rated films.

He says, "We will not be doing an R-rated films in our studio."

It makes great business sense, with a PG-13 rating you reach the widest audience possible which adds up to big dollar signs in Marvel's eyes.

But what about the R-rated Blade films and the upcoming Punisher sequel? Will they ever make a rated R film with one of their characters? Well, only if they were partnered up with an outside studio and it wasn't made directly through Marvel Studios, which is very smart. R-rated films really don't make a lot of "money sense." The audience is restricted to adults and this also limits the merchandising opportunities incredibly.

Cuneo stated, "…today, it would be very hard for us to partner with another studio, unless it was an R-rated film, and then I think that's pretty self-obvious because we are not interested in making R-rated films [at Marvel Studios]."

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_e...mp;article=4936

It's sad that the movie business can be based on toy sales.

Any of them could be(Wolverine kills a lot of people in gruesome ways). It's the fact that they are making decisions based on toy sales that I don't like. It's not like I want to see a bunch of R rated Marvel movies, but one thrown in once in awhile wouldn't hurt. It's another example of Marvel catering to children only.

Wolverine killed people in X2, and it wasn't rated R.

And I'd hardly say Tony Stark having casual sex, drinking all the time and being abducted by terrorists is Marvel's way of "catering to children only."

They never really showed him killing people, and when they did it wasn't at all bloody. Most of his killing was filmed from behind or was off screen.

I'm talking about their marketing and future plans. Imagine a Luke Cage movie doesn't get made because they can't sell any toys. That's what going to happen. Movies will get green lighted based on what toys they can sell, and kid oriented movies will get made instead of adult oriented ones like Cage. They will instead be made by outside companies who will screw them up.

Wolverine killed people in X2, and it wasn't rated R.

And I'd hardly say Tony Stark having casual sex, drinking all the time and being abducted by terrorists is Marvel's way of "catering to children only."

They never really showed him killing people, and when they did it wasn't at all bloody. Most of his killing was filmed from behind or was off screen.

I'm talking about their marketing and future plans. Imagine a Luke Cage movie doesn't get made because they can't sell any toys. That's what going to happen. Movies will get green lighted based on what toys they can sell, and kid oriented movies will get made instead of adult oriented ones like Cage. They will instead be made by outside companies who will screw them up.

Who even bought a Luke Cage comic before New Avengers? I can't imagine that a Cage film would be on Marvel's list.

Same could have been said for Blade before the movies came out.

Vampire movie= instant draw. Guy with invincible skin vs drug dealers is less of an automatic draw. I never even knew blade was a Marvel property until I was in the theatre, the draw was Wesley Snipes vs Vampires.

Not saying you couldn't make a good Luke Cage film that draws money but its hardly going to be at the top of Marvel's list. If they were going to make that they should make it Power Man & Iron Fist in a concept movie like the DC Green Arrow film is supposed to be. Make it about the story first.

• 3 months later...
You could say David Maisel is bullish on Marvel Studios, of which he is chairman, but you'd be understating his enthusiasm.

Maisel not only called the studio's summer performance "historic" on Wednesday, but he also called the new studio's launch "arguably the most successful" in modern history, and he backed up his assertion with numbers.

"Iron Man," he said, has earned $575 million at the worldwide boxoffice, with Japan still to come, and it is the 21st-biggest film domestically of all time. Plus, the first two films financed and produced by Marvel, "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk," have earned $835 million, and counting, worldwide.

Maisel, speaking at a Merrill Lynch investors conference, then compared Marvel's "Thor" story to "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. "Thor" is set for release June 4, 2010.

Then Maisel upped the ante further, suggesting that Marvel's intention to tie several of its movies together with common characters will make them feel like different episodes of the same story, just like "Star Wars."

He used the appearance of Robert Downey Jr., the star of "Iron Man," in a cameo at the end of "Hulk" as an example, calling the device "a taste of what's to follow."

Maisel said that one advantage of Marvel being its own studio is that it no longer has to go through an uncertain greenlight process, therefore it can grab release dates early. To wit, the studio set "Iron Man 2" for April 30, 2010, and insiders said Wednesday that "The First Avenger: Captain America" will bow May 6, 2011, a Friday, and "The Avengers" is set for July that year.

"And with our track record, we can normally keep those release dates pretty clean," Maisel said.

As a full-fledged film studio that "controls its own destiny," Marvel is able to commit early on that it will make movies featuring Thor, Captain America and the Avengers, which has allowed it to strike lucrative deals for toys and theme park rides based on those characters.

Regarding the latter, Marvel already has struck partnerships for theme parks in Dubai and in South Korea, where Marvel does not risk its own capital but maintains creative control and the potential for hefty profits.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...b32137138e52409

Any bets on who the next company that owns IPs will jump in and form their own studio to make their own movies? I'm not just talking comics here. I think it will be a book publisher or video game publisher. Imagine if Bioware or Blizzard followed what Marvel did.

Any bets on who the next company that owns IPs will jump in and form their own studio to make their own movies? I'm not just talking comics here. I think it will be a book publisher or video game publisher. Imagine if Bioware or Blizzard followed what Marvel did.

I can't think of any books or games manufacturers that could create a garanteed bankable film, only Harry Potter had the popularity to justify that and its much too late for that series. Yes World of Warcraft is popular but your main audiance would be the subscribers and you'd have trouble pulling them away from thier keyboards. Its more likely that a serious animated film would come out to represent WOW.

• 2 weeks later...
Power Pack = lame.

Naw! This could be a really cute family, action / adventure film like Spy Kids. Sure, a Saturday morning cartoon would be better, but this has potential.

Been done - there was a live action pilot oh, about 1990, 1991. Never released. Let's see, I think Alex could float, Katie made energy balls, Julie moved fast (but wasn't flying), and Jack just shrunk, rather than changing his density. Their parents were overly touchy feely and knew about their powers, and the plot centered on Jack stealing something from a haunted house on a dare, Alex and Katie have to help him return it before the ghost gets them, and Julie has to unpack at superspeed while they're out doing this (because the family just moved to Chicago). It was not the most interesting thing...what's that? Of course I still have my copy.

I'm not sure that I could see it as a movie - I think a cartoon would work much better.

Chris

Am I the only one hoping that Fox takes another shot at Daredevil in the near future?

Daredevil has grown into becoming my favorite Marvel Character from reading the Bendis run, the Loeb mini-series, the Smith run (haven't started Brubaker's, and plan to pick up Miller's work as well).

I recently saw the Director's Cut of the 03 film, and to be honest, I actually liked it...it wasn't a great film, but I felt it was on par with X-men 1, and maybe even Spider-man 1. So I'm totally thinking that a film really could have worked if the people who ran Fox weren't such idiots at times. I mean the cast was pretty damn good, Afflect wasn't nearly as bad as people said he was, nor was Garner, the supporting cast was pretty damn good in terms of Franklin Nelson, Ben Urich, Bullseye, and Kingpin.

I'm not exactly sure if the character is marketable or how they should do a complete reboot or do a semi-reboot (like the Incredible Hulk), or just a straight sequel with a new actor playing the title character? But I'm totally up for a new DD movie.