Everything Marvel

JackFetch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cable would have to be done by Fox because they have the rights to all the X-Men characters.

True, thats why it could cross over with Deadpool and the like.

But this is Marvel. There will be no Fox properties tied in.

But Jack is right, Cable is an X-property. Even if they develop it outside of that it seems daft that they would put together a Marvel Mutants film without any of the existing characters, even if different actors portrayed them.

Cable would have to be done by Fox because they have the rights to all the X-Men characters.

True, thats why it could cross over with Deadpool and the like.

But this is Marvel. There will be no Fox properties tied in.

But Jack is right, Cable is an X-property. Even if they develop it outside of that it seems daft that they would put together a Marvel Mutants film without any of the existing characters, even if different actors portrayed them.

Fox owns film rights for the X-Men and, I would assume, any X-characters who have already appeared.

True, Cable is a stupidly convoluted character, but he could be streamlined very easily. Drop the whole "sickly son of Scott Summers and Madelyne Pryor who was sent into the future to save his life" thing, and make him part of a futuristic genetic experiment that created two twin babies: one flawed (Cable) and one perfect (Stryfe). The perfect one was raised / twisted by a warlord (Apocalypse), and the flawed one was disposed of and found by a resistance group / cult that raised him to fight said warlord. Drop in some time travel, smart writing, religious overtones and lots of explosions, and Cable could be a new franchise akin to The Terminator. Plus, if done as a trilogy, imagine the cliffhanger to the second film as Stryfe removes his helmet to reveal his true face.

True, Cable is a stupidly convoluted character, but he could be streamlined very easily. Drop the whole "sickly son of Scott Summers and Madelyne Pryor who was sent into the future to save his life" thing, and make him part of a futuristic genetic experiment that created two twin babies: one flawed (Cable) and one perfect (Stryfe). The perfect one was raised / twisted by a warlord (Apocalypse), and the flawed one was disposed of and found by a resistance group / cult that raised him to fight said warlord. Drop in some time travel, smart writing, religious overtones and lots of explosions, and Cable could be a new franchise akin to The Terminator. Plus, if done as a trilogy, imagine the cliffhanger to the second film as Stryfe removes his helmet to reveal his true face.

I'm forwarding this to Marvel and putting my name on it, by the way.

I'm forwarding this to Marvel and putting my name on it, by the way.

This is after you've written the successful tv show you need to qualify to pitch to them right?

I believe Fox owns the rights to every mutant.

Yeah, and Cable has too many well-established ties to X-men continuity. Heck, currently his character literally has the fate of mutantkind hanging from his neck. He IS an X-man; there's no way around that.

To just remove Cable's backstory like that is an extremely sneaky maneuver that I don't think can work. It's as if 20th Century Fox made an exact copy of a Superman film but changed the name of the hero to "Ultraman" or something like that (except that in this Cable idea, the name wouldn't even be changed).

If all it takes to write a story with a character is to remove his plot-related ties to his original incarnation, then our entire legal system for copyright laws is extremely messed up.

Why not just make a new character? Why does it have to be Cable, whose entire genesis involves the Summers family and the Mutant Liberation Front?

I believe Fox owns the rights to every mutant.

Well, the Avengers movie didn't need Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch anyway. It's not like their important characters in the history of the team.

Honestly, they were only in the old Avengers comics because they were already pre-existing in Marvel continuity. It was like "hey, why not?"

I think that the New Avengers storylines have proven that you don't need anyone beyond Captain America and Iron Man to really make a team the Avengers.

To just remove Cable's backstory like that is an extremely sneaky maneuver that I don't think can work. It's as if 20th Century Fox made an exact copy of a Superman film but changed the name of the hero to "Ultraman".

CaptainMarvel.jpg

It turned out okay the first time.

To just remove Cable's backstory like that is an extremely sneaky maneuver that I don't think can work. It's as if 20th Century Fox made an exact copy of a Superman film but changed the name of the hero to "Ultraman".

It turned out okay the first time.

Captain Marvel is an entirely different character with a completely different story. If he'd been the last surviving alien of a dead planet and an intrepid reporter with a snarky female partner, you'd be correct.

Personally I see it being a good five-eight years before anyone really wants to make a cable movie.

To the mainstream, he is an obscure character and they would like to do their most famous characters and the avengers before they start putting out the obscure ones.

I know Iron Man is slightly obscure, but at least he was recognisable easily by average people who may have seen the cartoon in passing in the 90's.

Well thats my take.

Julie Taymor appears to be considering going the unknown route in casting the leads for her return to Broadway with "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark." A nationwide casting call has been announced running April 9 through May 27 in Orlando, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, Chicago and Austin.

While Evan Rachel Wood (who starred for Taymor in "Across the Universe") has frequently been mentioned as attached to the project to play Mary Jane, the casting announcement states: " 'Spider-Man' is seeking principals and understudies for the roles of Peter Parker, Mary Jane and 'Female Lead Villain.'"

Music for the large-scale production (said to be budgeted at close to $40 million) is by U2 members Bono and the Edge. The show is scheduled to open Feb. 18 on Broadway at the Hilton Theater.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800206...=1&nid=2562

• 1 month later...

Here is a list of what company holds the rights to what character. I assume if they aren't on this list than Marvel has the film rights.

20th Century Fox

* Daredevil: Daredevil/Matt Murdock, Elektra (Natchios), The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk, Bullseye, Jack Murdock, Karen Page, Ben Urich

* Elektra: Christine Cord/Tatoo, Typhoid Mary/Marry Alice Walker, Kirigi, Stick, Stone

* Fantastic Four: Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin

* X-Men Mutants: [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North], Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, [Deadpool/Wade Wilson], Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan

* X-Men Non-Mutants: Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II

New Line Cinema

* Vampires: Blade, Deacon Frost, Dracula/Vlad Tepes

* Non-Vampires: Hannibal King, Abraham Whistler

Sony Pictures

* Ghost Rider: Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze, Blackheart/Legion, Phantom Rider/Carter Slade, Abigor, Gressil, Mephistopheles, Wallow, Barton Blaze, Roxanne Simpson

* Spider-Man: Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius, Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, (New) Green Goblin/Harry Osborn, [The Lizard]/Dr. Curt Connors, Sandman/Flint Marko, Venom/Eddie Brock Jr., Betty Brant, Dennis Carradine (Buglar), J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Parker, May Parker, John Jameson, Joseph “Robbie” Robertson, Gwen Stacy, Mendel Stromm, Flash Thompson

Lionsgate Entertainment

* Punisher: The Punisher/Frank Castle, Jigsaw/Billy Russoti, Microchip/Linus Liberman, Joan the Mouse, Maginty, Mr. Bumpo, Spacker Dave, The Russian, Maria Elizabeth Castle, Detective Martin Soap,

http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-movies...ters-carl-6766/

Namor was at Universal, but probably reverted back to Marvel. Luke Cage has reverted back to Marvel since Sony never used him. An interesting note, New Line had a script for Deapool, but decided to do Blade 3 instead. That's how Fox got a hold of the rights.

• 4 weeks later...
With X-Men Origins: Wolverine having already pulled in $356.2 million worldwide, and both a sequel and Deadpool spin-off in the works, we were wondering what the status of the other "X-Men" spin-offs was.

Today, we got a chance to talk to David Goyer, who's executive producing ABC's upcoming "Flash Forward" and whose The Unborn hits DVD and Blu-ray on July 7. Goyer has been attached to write and direct Magneto, but he's not sure if that will move forward before X-Men: First Class.

"There have been some preliminary discussions," he told us about Magneto, adding, "I think, at Fox, they're trying to decide if making a young X-Men film makes the most sense next, does making a 'Magneto' make the most sense next. They're just trying to decide internally who's next up."

So it sounds like there's a face-off between Wolverine, Deadpool, Magneto and First Class at Fox right now.

http://superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=8442