Everything Marvel

JackFetch

True, but you rarely find racists that hate just one group. I have met a lot of racists in my time (RE: relatives), and they're filled with contempt for anyone that's not white and straight.

Assuming the racists of the Marvel Universe are the same way, it's very odd to me that a line is drawn between mutants and mutates.

I think it could be seen along the lines of the difference between a immigrant culture and the native population that adopt that culture. They wouldn't like the deviant natives but the immigrants would still very much be the cause.

Although I have no excuse for the Avengers re Genosha or any of those other deals. Hell, it was an Avenger who singlehandedly almost wiped out the race.

A mutant Avenger at that.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jar Jar- Akin to the worst of black stereotyping.

The Trade Federation- Asian accents that might as well be done by Trey Parker.

Watto- Space Jew.

This isn't something I plucked from nothing, a lot of people watched TPM and noticed how creepy this stuff is.

Yep. I heard all these from critics when it came out. I always thought of Watto as one of those middle Eastern phone salesman types. "Buddy, you like this phone, I give you a good deal".

Jar Jar I think was entirely an accident. It's been pretty well documented that George was trying to just make something goofy and childish, drawing more from the goofy words his little kids would come up with than anything else. But the other two examples are less innocent. Watto might have also been a random coincidence, but the Nemoidians' voices are so spot-on to old Asian stereotypical characters that it's hard not to notice it.

• 2 weeks later...

From IGN

Deadline is reporting that Marvel are quietly putting together a package of four new live-action drama series and a miniseries that would be sold together to one outlet. The entire commitment is said to be for 60 episodes, which would be shopped to various VOD and cable outlets, with Deadline naming Netflix, Amazon and WGN America as potential candidates. Deadline says that feelers have been sent out and Marvel already are hearing back that there is interest, though this is all in the earliest stages of development, with little talent attached yet.

So that has to be Daredevil, Punisher, Agent Carter, Runaways and for the mini, Black Captain America?

The Walt Disney Company (Japan) Ltd. announced today that it will produce the first Japanese Marvel animated television series targeted at boys. Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers is based on Marvel’s most popular team of Super Heroes, The Avengers and will premiere nationwide on terrestrial television in spring 2014.

Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers will be produced by Nerima-ku, Tokyo-based Toei Animation Co., Ltd., which has produced multiple successful animated series for kids in Japan. Taito-ku, Tokyo-based Bandai Co., Ltd., which has a highly successful track record with major titles, will be responsible for character merchandising. The three companies will collaborate in creating a fully localized Japanese series as well as providing a lineup of attractive products and merchandise targeting the boys market.

The story will revolve around how The Avengers – Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and together with the help of Spider-Man and a group of teens, will harness their respective fighting skills and superhuman powers to foil Loki’s scheme to take over the world. Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers will target boys in the 6-12 age group.

Walt Disney Japan, through its local content strategy—delivering content tailored to meet the needs of local consumers—is actively localizing content to fit the tastes and sensibilities of Japanese audiences. Though the company has produced and broadcast several localized programs, from the animated short-form series Fireball in 2008, Disney’s first animated series produced entirely in Japan, to Stitch!, which stars the popular Disney character with a change of setting from Hawaii to Okinawa. Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers will be its first animated television series specifically targeted at boys and will delight Japanese viewers with an entirely new action-packed storyline that unfolds before their eyes in a high quality 2D animated format. Most recently, this Super Hero team was seen in the 2012 live-action movie, Marvel’s The Avengers, with a world-wide box office revenue that exceeded $1.5 billion and was the third-top grossing film of all time.

Through this collaboration, Marvel, Walt Disney Japan, Japan’s top animation studio Toei Animation, and character merchandising leader Bandai will together leverage their respective strengths to deliver a television series for nationwide broadcast and a range of merchandise that is sure to breathe new life into the boys market in Japan.

JRAAmyr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Off the top of my head I can't think of any Spider-Man character I would want to see in their own movie.

I do, however, think that Mysterio would make for a great tv show. Kind of a cross between The Incredible Hulk and The Fall Guy where he's trying to be a good guy but is always perceived as a villain.