Everything Marvel

JackFetch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would only like to see Marvel do Marvel movies from now on. They just turn out better when they are made by the same people that make the comics. In theory DC movies should be the same, but they already screwed up Superman. WB may own DC, but they don't care about making good movies, only money. That is about to change though.

I'm hoping Marvel Studios takes a crack at a tv series soon.

Paramount Pictures and Marvel Studios today announced an agreement under which Paramount will distribute Marvel's next five self-produced feature films on a worldwide basis. The deal, an extension of the original agreement made by Brad Grey when he arrived as CEO and Chairman of Paramount Pictures, includes theatrical distribution in foreign territories previously serviced by Marvel through local distribution entities (Japan, Germany, France, Spain and Australia/New Zealand). The distribution pact capitalizes on Marvel and Paramount's successful efforts with Iron Man, which has grossed $574 million worldwide for Marvel.

The highly anticipated live action releases include Iron Man 2 (May 7, 2010), Thor (July 16, 2010), The First Avenger: Captain America (May 6, 2011), and The Avengers (July 15, 2011). The distribution agreement also includes Iron Man 3.

"Coming off of 'Iron Man's' incredible success this summer, we could not be more excited about extending our relationship with Marvel," said Rob Moore, Vice Chairman of Paramount Pictures. "Marvel's iconic brand, its popular characters and its proven ability to create compelling and visually spellbinding films complement Paramount's great history of filmmaking. We look forward to a long and successful run together."

"Paramount is an excellent partner and an outstanding global distributor," said David Maisel, Chairman of Marvel Studios. "Through our experience on 'Iron Man,' Paramount has demonstrated a passion and ability to release Marvel properties theatrically, allowing us to focus on making great movies for the largest audience possible."

Marvel's Iron Man, starring Robert Downey Jr. and directed by Jon Favreau, was distributed by Paramount earlier this year and was one of the top films of 2008. The DVD, including a version in Blu-ray, will be released on September 30, 2008.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=7689

They could have sent out a shorter press release that says:

Paramount enjoys making money, so they will continue releasing Marvel's films.

As Marvel Studios, a subsidiary of Marvel Entertainment, Inc., powers up to begin production on its next highly anticipated slate of films, the studio has made an agreement with Raleigh Studios to film each of Marvel's next four films at Raleigh's facility in Manhattan Beach, CA. The four projects to be produced at the studio facility over the next three years include Iron Man 2, Thor, The First Avenger: Captain America, The Avengers. Keeping these four major tent pole film productions in Southern California allows the studio access to outstanding crews and resources and makes Marvel the largest tenant on the Raleigh lot. Additionally, Marvel Studios will move its Beverly Hills-based executive and production offices to Raleigh's facility in Manhattan Beach.

"In making this deal with Raleigh to produce our upcoming films at the Manhattan Beach Studios, we are most excited about keeping our film production here in California and taking advantage of the best crews in the Los Angeles area," stated Louis D'Esposito, Marvel's President of Physical Production. "All of our production partners on these upcoming films have been incredibly accommodating in terms of their creativity and financial structures, allowing us to remain in California. Raleigh Studios has long been known for the superior quality of its film production facilities and we know that Manhattan Beach will be the ideal location to produce our movies to the highest standards that our fans expect."

"We are thrilled that we were able to find a way to make this deal work for Marvel," said Michael Moore, Raleigh Studios President. "We could not have asked for a greater compliment than having a quality company like Marvel put their faith in us to provide a home for its film productions."

The Marvel live action releases to be filmed at Raleigh Manhattan Beach Studios are scheduled to arrive in theaters beginning in 2010 and going through 2011. Specifically the release dates are Iron Man 2 on May 7, 2010; Thor on July 16, 2010; The First Avenger: Captain America on May 6, 2011; and The Avengers on July 15, 2011.

Raleigh Manhattan Beach Studios first opened for operations during 1998. This studio consists of 14 sound stages on 22 acres with an additional 300,000 square feet of office and support space. As a result of this venture, Raleigh Studios along with its sister company Hollywood Rentals, are now the largest operator of independent film studio facilities and production services in North America.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=7706

Take that Canada!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT held their quarterly shareholders earnings report call this morning, we've got info on their earnings plus a casting call for IRON MAN 2 and a production update straight from the studio.

From MARVEL (not that we don't already know),

-- Kenneth Branagh is set to direct Marvel Studios’ THOR which Paramount Pictures will distribute worldwide. The film will come to theatres domestically on July 16, 2010.

-- IRON MAN 2 will begin principal photography in early April starring Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow and Don Cheadle and directed by Jon Favreau.

From the earnings call,

Marvel Entertainment Inc. said Tuesday fourth-quarter net income doubled to $63 million, or 80 cents a share, from $27.6 million, or 35 cents a share in the year-ago period. Sales for the three months ended Dec. 31 rose to $224.3 million from $109.3 million.

The improvement reflects recognition of $135.5 million in film production segment revenue principally associated with the DVD performance of Marvel's "Iron Man" feature film, the company said. Analysts expected earnings of 75 cents a share on revenue of $210 million, according to a survey by FactSet Research. Marvel expects 2009 earnings of $1 to $1.35 a share, compared to the Wall Street target of $1.21 a share.

And finally, the casting call from Spoiler TV,

Iron Man 2 - New Casting Call

[HOT BRUNETTE] Beautiful, sexy and authoritative. Please submit Caucasian actresses ages 25 - 28.

[MONGOLIAN GANGSTER] Various ages.

[FRENCH WAITER] Male, 30's. Must have authentic Monaco accent.

[RUSSIAN GUARDS] Various ages. Must speak fluent Russian.

[MALE] late 40's - mid 50's. Handsome, intelligent and dynamic. Please submit Caucasian actors.

[TECHNICIANS] Smart, capable, 20's. Please submit all ethnicities.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_e...mp;article=6354

Expect this year to be a lot different because no Marvel Studios films are coming out.

• 3 weeks later...
Paving the way for the production and release of its multi-character superhero film, The Avengers, Marvel Entertainment, Inc. announced today an adjusted release pipeline for its self-produced feature film properties that reflects the first time individual Super Hero characters and story arcs will be inter-woven and culminate in a multi-character motion picture. Separately, Marvel Studios confirmed today that Sony Pictures Entertainment will release Spider-Man 4 on May 6, 2011. Additionally, Marvel Studios has revised the release dates for Thor and The First Avenger: Captain America as part of its release strategy for an uninterrupted road to The Avengers, now debuting May 4, 2012.

A Marvel character-based film will now launch the summer box office season for three years in a row, from 2010 through 2012.

"This new schedule strongly sequences Marvel's movie debut dates, big screen character introductions and momentum. It maximizes the visibility of our single character-focused films, leading to the highly anticipated release of the multi-character 'The Avengers' film in 2012," said David Maisel, Chairman, Marvel Studios.

Sony Pictures' and Marvel Studios' Spider-Man 4 is slated for May 6, 2011. To date, all three motion pictures in the phenomenally successful "Spider-Man" franchise have generated nearly $2.5 billion worldwide theatrically.

Below is Marvel Studios' 2010-2012 updated release schedule for its slate of self-produced and financed feature films:

Marvel Studios Feature Film Pipeline

Film/Character - Prior Release Date - Current Release Date

Iron Man 2 - May 7, 2010 - May 7, 2010

Thor - July 16, 2010 - June 17, 2011

The First Avenger: Captain America - May 6, 2011 - July 22, 2011

The Avengers - July 15, 2011 - May 4, 2012

The release date for Iron Man 2 remains unchanged on May 7, 2010. Iron Man 2 is the sequel to the blockbuster film, Iron Man, which has grossed nearly $600 million worldwide.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=8161

Aintitcoolnews put up these rumors from someone supposedly inside Marvel:

-Avengers is delayed a year because of financing issues but also because the plan is for Favreau to helm it. Everybody here loves the guy and he wants to do it, but it would have been impossible for him to do before the date change given his Iron Man 2 commitments. Also partly the reason why he agreed to do the Stark sequel on such an accelerated schedule was so he could get given first dibs on this. It would still be a punishing schedule for him, so hes not firmly confirmed yet, but he is certainly the presumptive director at this point.

- Iron Man starts rehearsals in a few days, which is why the casting is finally coming together so quickly.

-Alexander Skargard is indeed Branagh’s favorite to play Thor as some sites are reporting. If all goes well and it happens then we hope to get Stellan Skarsgard for Odin (though at present Odin is only a very small cameo part in this movie).

-Loki will probably be played by Hartnett, if his pay negotiations work out. All the commentary about him wanting to do a Ledger and play a villain is B.S. though – WE APPROACHED HARTNETT because Branagh’s a big fan of the Othello adaptation O where Hartnett played Iago who is very similar character wise to how he sees Loki.

- Fox is serious about doing remakes of Daredvil and FF. They have to make new movies with these characters every few years because otherwise the options will revert to us. This point is kinda obvious but Im not sure people realise it –I havent seen anybody pointing it out anywhere. The mood around here is pretty negative about Rothman’s potential to execute these properties properly, (Im sure you know why it might be particularly negative at the moment) but we are all hoping his recent promotion will mean hes kept away from direct control of these movies.

The stuff about Fox having to make the movies or they lose the option makes sense. That's also why Fox keeps making X-Men movies and Sony keeps rolling out Spider-Man movies. After Iron Man they must be scared to death of how much money Marvel would make with them.

Well they won't to a Hulk with DD and FF as those movie like Hulk, were boring and shit.

I really like how Marvel are thinking ahead and saying we need this and that with a big goal at the end, wheras WB hasn't done much planning wise.

Marvel's current situation is one WB are going to be watching with interest. Following the success of the Dark Knight, there are plans to do something similar, leading up to a JLA film, but right now, they're in the developing stages and can afford to sit back and watch what works and what doesn't for the Marvel Studios CBM universe. Besides, the studio has non-DC movies to concentrate upon so there isn't the same focus as Marvel has. They could still horribly mismanage everything - they're Warner Brothers after all - but concentrating on the Nolan Bat-franchise at the moment is not a bad position for them right now.

As for more reboots/requels, I'm worried about saturation although Hollywood producers don't know the meaning of the word, so everything will be remade in time - even a new Punisher film! Daredevil is probably due at least a requel but the F4 should probably have one more sequel, even if I find the films incredibly mediocre. I'd rather hang onto the current cast than get in some new flavour of the month types because no-one right now is going to do a better Ben Grimm than Michael Chiklis.

Honestly, the FF films weren't awful. They weren't. They had some massive flaws, and straight up raped the character of one of the biggest badasses in comic-dom, but with the exception of Jessica Alba, everyone fit their role nicely. Get a better writer, and fire Tim Story and things could be okay.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Honestly, the FF films weren't awful. They weren't. They had some massive flaws, and straight up raped the character of one of the biggest badasses in comic-dom, but with the exception of Jessica Alba, everyone fit their role nicely. Get a better writer, and fire Tim Story and things could be okay.

I agree..... I think the only 3 marvel films I refuse to watch again is Elektra, Punisher War Zone, and The Incredible Hulk.

Agreed.

And as for their centrality to the Marvel Universe, as long as Fox still have the rights, you won't see the Fantastic Four cross-over into any Marvel film right now.

The only reason people shouldn't like The Hulk by Ang Lee is if they don't like beautiful films. That is easily the finest crafted piece of cinema that has come from a Marvel property to date. I haven't watched Incredible Hulk for that reason and the fact that I couldn't really give a shit about the character. Lee made me care about the character. I doubt this one will.

War Zone looks like someone is trying to be a Japanese director a little too much without knowing their chops. That's just from the trailer, mind you, but I don't see myself bothering to watch it anytime soon.

The only reason people shouldn't like The Hulk by Ang Lee is if they don't like beautiful films. That is easily the finest crafted piece of cinema that has come from a Marvel property to date. I haven't watched Incredible Hulk for that reason and the fact that I couldn't really give a shit about the character. Lee made me care about the character. I doubt this one will.

I've long said that there are sequences in that film that outstrip almost every other superhero film. Hulk in the desert is just brilliant, and the casting is great throughout. There wasn't bad choice in that cast. The only problem was a few daft bits like the final battle and mutant poodles.

I've long said that there are sequences in that film that outstrip almost every other superhero film. Hulk in the desert is just brilliant, and the casting is great throughout. There wasn't bad choice in that cast. The only problem was a few daft bits like the final battle and mutant poodles.

The final battle is a little cheese but the dogs are right out of the comics.

hulk_dogs.jpg

This isn't directed specifically at Dread, but I really wish people (myself included) would stop defending things by saying "it's right out of the comics". I'm sure that a lot of stuff is in the books, and I'm sure it's stupid there, too.