Everything Marvel

JackFetch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't trust Fox with any Marvel movies anymore. Not because of Wolverine per say, but because they are only doing them now so they won't lose the rights. I'm not interested in Magneto movie. I'm more interested in the Young X-Men, but don't want Fox to make it.

edit: According to this article, Fox does not own the rights to Cable.

I highly doubt that. Fox wants money, sure, but I don't see them being so insensitive that they draw parallels between being Emo and living in a death camp.

The love interest thing, though, that is a part of Magneto's origin (and it was in Testament), so I wouldn't mind that.

I think the problem is that in order to do Magneto correctly, you need to have a slower, character-based film. You can't really have an action film when your main character is essentially a demigod. You can play with the "he doesn't understand his powers yet" angle, but even that has its limits.

There are a few rumors floating about that suggest that Fox may erase the first three X-men films (considering that they killed half their cast in X3) and start over with an X-Men: First Class story akin to the First Class comics. I personally would love to see that, but I think the problem would be that Fox would never let that film be done right; they'd HAVE to have Wolverine in the film, and there's no way they'd let Cyclops be the deep, maturing central character that he'd need to be for that film to work as it should.

Poor Cyclops.

I mean, he sucks and all, but he deserves a better shake than he's gotten in the X-Films.

He's had some pretty amazing character development in the comics lately, and, if done right, his "becoming a true leader" character arc is really great. Also, he works well as a team character, so an ensemble film would be easier to do instead of a Logan-centric film like the first three.

One of my dream films would be a Scott-centered X-men film; I think he mostly gets a bad rep from the animated series, where he was basically an apple-polisher. Most casual comics fans don't realize that he really is an incredible badass when the occasion calls for it.

• 3 months later...

More Fox than Marvel, but you get the idea:

/Film talked to "X-Men" franchise producer Lauren Shuler Donner who revealed which other movies she'd like to see happen in addition to X-Men: First Class:

As well as the eventual New Class, then - whenever that might be - Shuler Donner revealed that she has been cooking up plans for several other mutant films. The two she named? An X4, reuniting the X-Men and a big screen outing for The New Mutants. X4, she said, had yet to be pitched to the studio, however.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=59310

Notice the Magneto movie wasn't mentioned. I still believe it will never be made.

I just think there isn't enough people that will pay to watch a Magneto movie. The young audience that actually pays to go to the movies wants Deadpool, and X-Men: First Class, and other stuff that actually relates to them.

Come to think of it, the Deadpool front got really quiet after the Green Lantern stuff hit. I wonder if that will even get made.

I just think there isn't enough people that will pay to watch a Magneto movie. The young audience that actually pays to go to the movies wants Deadpool, and X-Men: First Class, and other stuff that actually relates to them.

It could work on a lower budget. Anything with X-men or Magneto in the title will get a guaranteed number of ticket sales.

Come to think of it, the Deadpool front got really quiet after the Green Lantern stuff hit. I wonder if that will even get made.

According to a lady at Fox (I think it was the same one in that last quote), Ryan Reynolds is still doing Deadpool, and it will likely be a reboot of sorts.

If you read it closely, she never brought up Deadpool. The writer said RR is "expected to play him".

I'm talking about the original source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/21/lauren-shuler-donner-on-future-x-men-movies/

There could be more of the interview where she talks about Deeadpool, but it's not looking like it will be any time soon.

If you read it closely, she never brought up Deadpool. The writer said RR is "expected to play him".

I'm talking about the original source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/21/lauren-shuler-donner-on-future-x-men-movies/

There could be more of the interview where she talks about Deeadpool, but it's not looking like it will be any time soon.

IGN had their own firsthand interview:

IGN caught up with producer Lauren Shuler Donner yesterday at a promotional event for the upcoming Blu-ray release of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and -- of course -- we had to pick her brain about the proposed spin-off film based on the character of Deadpool.

Donner was playing her cards pretty close to the vest, but she did let loose with one tidbit: Deadpool will likely be a reboot of the character from his appearance in Wolverine.

"We'd kind of reboot it and make it the Deadpool that's in the comics," the producer told us, while adding that Wolverine costar Ryan Reynolds is still set to reprise the role despite his involvement with Warner Bros./DC's Green Lantern film.

"Yes, he would [return for it]," she said. "I'd like to see Deadpool, so we'll see where we are moving forward on that. I'm hoping to make a movie out of Deadpool."

http://movies.ign.com/articles/102/1023736p1.html

Fox is: rebooting “Fantastic Four” with “Green Lantern” scribe Michael Green and producer Akiva Goldsman; mobilizing a “Wolverine” sequel and several “X-Men” spinoffs; is quietly developing a new version of “Daredevil” and working on a Silver Surfer film. Sony recently set James Vanderbilt to write the fifth and sixth installments of “Spider-Man,” and Universal continues work on “Sub-Mariner.” Paramount continues as distributor for “Iron Man 2” and several others expected to include “Thor” and “Captain America.”

The activity is necessary for those studios to keep the superhero properties. If the properties atrophy, they can be reclaimed by Marvel Entertainment, which happened with such properties as Dr. Strange, Black Panther and Iron Man, the latter of which languished at New Line before Marvel turned it into the self-financed blockbuster.

Those properties were repossessed by Arad when he ran Marvel from 1993-2007, when he left to start a film company with son Ari just after Marvel locked in its $525 million credit facility. Arad said he left because he was exhausted, and because he was convinced that his number two, Kevin Feige, was ready to take over. That belief is reinforced by Feige’s emergence as a possible replacement for Disney film topper Dick Cook, because he made a strong impression on Bob Iger during the Marvel deal making talks.

While the plethora of superheroes at other studios and Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park has raised skepticism over Marvel’s acquisition price, Arad doesn’t see the $4 billion price tag as untoward. He said the number validated the vision that he and Ike Perlmutter had when they implored creditors to spurn a $350 million cash offer from Carl Icahn, when Marvel was in bankruptcy in the late 1990s. Arad argued at the time that interest by several studios in “Spider-Man” alone meant that the film could be a billion dollar enterprise. Since then, X-Men and Blade also joined that billion dollar club, and Iron Man is well on the way.

Arad—who is producing both Marvel’s “Ghost Rider” and “Spider-Man” at Columbia—said that on films that Disney doesn’t distribute, Marvel gets lucrative first dollar gross fees, and is well compensated for the use of its characters in the Universal theme park. The acquisition’s real upside, the library of Marvel characters, can be mined for decades, Arad said.

The Goyer-scripted “Blade” trilogy, Marvel’s first film success, is a good example.

“The character was virtually unknown, didn’t even have his own comic book, and had been part of `Tombs of Dracula,’” Arad said. “It tells you what can happen if you unleash a library with the right creative partners.”

Arad mentioned Dr. Strange, Nick Fury, Power Pack, Guardians of the Galaxy and The Avengers as prime movie properties.

“I had this poster of the Marvel universe, with these beautifully drawn characters, and we used to say you could throw a dart, hit a character and make a hit movie under the Marvel brand,” Arad said. “There is long list yet to be unleashed. I think this will look like a smart deal over time, because Disney is a company that knows how to exploit a brand.”

Arad is separately developing a slate that includes the Catherine Hardwicke-directed adaptation of the James Patterson novel series “Maximum Ride” at Columbia, “Ghost in the Shell” for DreamWorks. Arad has also secured rights to make a CGI animated feature based on the venerable strongman “Popeye.”

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/09/ghost-rider-latest-marvel-movie-to-rev.html

I actually just started reading the Maximum Ride books last week, and my first thought was "they are so going to make a movie out of this".

• 4 weeks later...

Future of the X-men franchise (specifically Wolverine 2, First Class, Deadpool, and Magneto):

Future of the X-men Franchise

Not a whole lot of new news. Some of the basic stuff they've had before, Wolverine in Japan (with desire for authenticity, shoots in Japan), Deadpool reverting back to comic persona, and Magneto probably not happening.

The stuff on X-men First class is troubling though as they're using Harry Potter as an inspiration and resource to how they want to make the X-men movies..

Future of the X-men franchise (specifically Wolverine 2, First Class, Deadpool, and Magneto):

Future of the X-men Franchise

I'm pretty sure everything has changed now that Bryan Singer said he wants to do another X-Men movie.

Bryan Singer said Sunday that he's interested in making another "X-Men" movie and has discussed the possibility with Twentieth Century Fox.

The American director made "X-Men" and "X2: X-Men United," but passed on the third installment so he could make "Superman Returns." "Rush Hour" director Brett Ratner ended up shooting that film, "X-Men: The Last Stand." South African filmmaker Gavin Hood made another spinoff, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which was released earlier this year.

"I'm still looking to possibly returning to the 'X-Men' franchise. I've been talking to Fox about it," Singer said at a talk at the Pusan International Film Festival.

"I love Hugh Jackman. I love the cast," he said, referring to the Australian actor who plays Wolverine.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i30e7feb16ddb0207ec91e06b9521cbc4