Everything Marvel

JackFetch

A Manhattan federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit against Marvel Entertainment Inc. and comic book creator Stan Lee over the ownership of famous characters including Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk, the Fantastic Four and X-Men.

The $750 million lawsuit filed on behalf of Stan Lee Media Inc. alleged that shareholders were harmed when Lee in 1998 transferred rights to the characters to Marvel, which is now owned by Walt Disney Co. Stan Lee Media filed for bankruptcy protection in 2001.

In a March 31 ruling, U.S. District Judge Paul Crotty noted that litigation over the characters had lasted nearly a decade in various state and federal courts in New York, California and Colorado, and included a securities class-action settlement.

"It is now time to call a halt," Crotty wrote in his 14-page opinion.

The judge concluded that the shareholders, Jose Abadin and Christopher Belland, lacked standing to sue because they did not acquire their Stan Lee Media shares until 1999, more than a year after the alleged illegal conduct.

Crotty also said the shareholders waited too long by not filing their latest lawsuit until January 2009, saying they "cannot wait a decade to enforce their rights."

A lawyer for the plaintiffs did not immediately return a call seeking comment on Monday.

Disney acquired Marvel on December 31 for about $4.2 billion in cash and stock.

The case is Abadin et al v. Marvel Entertainment Inc et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 09-00715.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3id348f97334badeb30a01ff31a50da3a6?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Fnews+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+News%29

They are suing about something that happened before they got there? These are the dumbest people ever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest DCAUFan1051

fine by me suave I've posted a few pics today and didn't feel like going through the hassle of saving it, putting it on photobucket and then here. Yes I'm lazy.

• 2 weeks later...
Marvel Studios is currently taking meetings with writers and directors to work on small scale movies based on some of their third tier characters. The movies would cost in the range of 20 to 40 million dollars (very small when we're talking studio films) and would allow them to take risks with less obvious characters and with interesting talent.

Filmmakers are being offered their pick of characters whose names are only familiar to comic fans. Properties like Dr. Strange, Ka-Zar, Luke Cage, Dazzler and Power Pack are among the many that are being tossed around right now. And the attitude seems to be that Marvel is open to bringing any of their characters to the screen at the right price point.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=9313

Awesome move.

Seems odd that they're not going to throw Hulk into the mix for this anymore, especially since Tony Stark was in that film at the end. Maybe they still will, I'd dig an Avengers vs Hulk showdown in that film. Also, I'm really hoping they find ways to fit in some classic avengers. Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Vision, Hawkeye, its not the Avengers without them. Might have to lose the first two to a mutant embargo but Vision would be awesomely cool in a live action film.

I'm not interested in most of those movies, I'm not familiar with the Power Pack, Dazzler is just an entirely lame character (and while that mockumentary sounds like a neat idea, it doesn't spell BOX-OFFICE HIT to me), Dr. Strange was never that interesting to me but I can see the appeal for others.

The only one that sounds like a good idea to me is Luke Cage. I'd really like to see them build up these street level characters. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones (Alias), Daredevil all building to a Marvel Knights Crossover film. Using the same strategy they're using now with the Avengers. Each character could stand on their own as a film, and at the same time have enough links where they could easily crossover. Purple Man could easily cameo in Luke Cage's film while being the main villain in Alias, Cage and Iron Fist could easily cameo in each others films, Kingpin could be pulling strings in the background for all the villains appearing in the films except maybe Iron Fist's, Murdock could have Jones and Cage as bodyguards in one part of his film, I think it could really work. I'm reading Brubaker's Iron Fist right now and that would make an awesome movie with all of the mythology being involved.

In the crossover, I can see a good director/cinematographer reintroducing the characters but comparing Iron Fist's kung fu technique to Luke Cage's street fighting style to Daredevil's more acrobatic style. Man...give me that, Marvel.

At a press conference today promoting the new movie IRON MAN 2, which opens on May 7, 2010, the crew were asked whether or not a BLACK WIDOW spinoff movie starring Scarlet Johansson would be something they would want to do.

Kevin Feige, one of the producers of IRON MAN 2, answered “Absolutely. Definitely a possibility.”

Part of the reason for this is the rave reviews coming from Johansson’s portrayal as the Russian covert operative in the film.

http://ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=9610

Or do you mean Black Widow should/would be a blockbuster, $100mil movie if it's got Scarlett in it?

Yeah, that. I can't imagine that Johannsson's Black Widow will be a character that can be reduced to a $30mil movie.

I mean, at that point, they'd have to focus on character and a deep story and stuff...

On one hand, it could really suck.

On the other hand......

scarlettjohanssonironmau.th.jpg

I'd be scared that they'd be reducing it to a Aeon Flux or something if they did a solo Black Widow film. Maybe they should just let her be a part of Iron Man 2 and The Avengers (that team is a total sausage-fest as it stands) and then spin out if there is still demand.

I think you can make a great film for $30 if you're open to it not being star-driven. Spend the money on publicity and I think a modern Marvel property sells these days regardless of major star power. I'm mentally trying to cast Heroes for Hire right now and its tough. Taye Diggs and Ryan Reynolds?