Avengers movie

JackFetch

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I agree, it's more a character piece. The main thing I hear people say about it, is it doesn't take sides or judge, like a typical war movie, it focuses more on the people and their job at hand, not why they are there or if they are good or bad. It's a very good movie and I could definitely see Renner as Cap.

With rampant speculation about the casting of "Captain America", the continuing reports from the set of "Thor" and the pending release of "Iron Man 2" dominating the comic book movie news cycle, updates about "The Avengers" movie have appeared infrequently during the past few months. However, Marvel's editor-in-chief reports that he received a draft of the "Avengers" script yesterday.

"Definition of 'goose bumps.' Pressing enter and watching a screenplay entitled 'AVENGERS' come out of my printer," wrote Marvel EiC Joe Quesada on Twitter. Quesada later added, "It's official, I have the greatest job in the world."

Longtime "Avengers" scribe Brian Michael Bendis also disclosed that he received a copy of the "Avengers" script as well.

" spent the entire day reading the 'Avengers' screenplay instead of writing the 'Avengers' comic." wrote Bendis.

Quesada and Bendis have previously used their Twitter accounts to chronicle their visit to the set of "Thor". Back in October, Bendis also spoke with MTV about his thoughts on bringing "Captain America", "Iron Man" and "Thor" together in "The Avengers" movie.

"Having read the 'Captain America' movie script and the 'Thor' movie scripts and 'Iron Man 2' and everything, and seeing them all develop, nothing is more exciting to me than the 'Avengers' movie," said Bendis. "It's absolutely going to be something better than— different than—anything we've seen before."

More recently, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige confirmed that the Hulk will also appear in "The Avengers."

"The Avengers" is scheduled to be released on May 4, 2012.

Source

...nothing is more exciting to me than the 'Avengers' movie," said Bendis. "It's absolutely going to be something better than— different than—anything we've seen before."

Yeah, this from the guy who is "immensely proud" of Secret Invasion.

Everything else sounds great, though.

• 5 weeks later...
IESB reported on April 1st that Joss Whedon had joined Louis Leterrier on the short list of directors that Marvel Studios' is looking at for The Avengers. And you know what? The Los Angeles Times got the news confirmed.

"After some checking, insiders at Marvel Studios say no director has been signed yet but that Whedon was on the short-list and conversations took place," they say. Of course there are probably other directors on that list as well, so we'll have to wait and see which way they go.

http://superherohype.com/news/captainamericanews.php?id=9239

IESB reported on April 1st that Joss Whedon had joined Louis Leterrier on the short list of directors that Marvel Studios' is looking at for The Avengers. And you know what? The Los Angeles Times got the news confirmed.

"After some checking, insiders at Marvel Studios say no director has been signed yet but that Whedon was on the short-list and conversations took place," they say. Of course there are probably other directors on that list as well, so we'll have to wait and see which way they go.

Would be cool, although I figured they'd go with Jon Favreau first.

Would be cool, although I figured they'd go with Jon Favreau first.

I think I heard he turned it down.

Edit: It's on the second page of this thread.

If Whedon's involved, I fully expect Giant Girl to be the central character...

Its about time Marvel had a significant female hero in their films. Jean Grey and Rogue are the closest they've got so far, and frankly that's not an inspiring standard overall.

If Whedon's involved, I fully expect Giant Girl to be the central character...

Does that mean Eliza Dushku will automatically be given the role as per Whedon's contract? God I hope not.

She's in three of his four shows, only the last of which had her as a lasting major character, plus Dollhouse was made due to her contract with Fox to develop shows for her. Its not like they're joined at the hip.

Its much more likely that Alan Tudyk, Nathan Fillion, Summer Glau and Gina Torres will appear instead.

• 2 weeks later...
Deadline New York reports that Marvel Studios is moving ahead with Joss Whedon as director of The Avengers. The site says he is now in final negotiations to helm the action adventure scheduled for a May 4, 2012 release.

The film would feature many of the lead actors involved in Marvel Studios adaptations right now, including Robert Downey Jr. ("Iron Man" films), Chris Evans (Captain America), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury) and more.

http://superherohype.com/news/avengersnews.php?id=9279

I am not one of those crazy people who thinks Joss Whedon should direct every movie (usually the same people who think Nathan Fillion should be cast as every single Caucasian male character on the face of the planet), but I have to say that this sounds pretty awesome.

I mean, hey, Whedon knows how to direct an ensemble cast, and he knows his Marvel comics. I say this is great news.

He's also a television director being trusted with what should be the biggest superhero film of all time.

So? He directed Serenity, and did a great job at it. He's been deeply involved with plenty of major films before, even if not in a directorial capacity.

I mean, if they're not gonna hire Spielberg or someone insanely high-level like that, Whedon seems like a great choice.

I really like Joss, but I am also concerned about his ability to direct a big budget movie. I think he can do well with an ensemble cast and we know he has a passion for comics (and has done excellent work with the X-men) but like was said by Dread, he's never done a big screen film.

On the other hand, I wasn't sure about Sam Raimi doing Spider-man, Peter Jackson doing Lord of the Rings, or Jon Favreau doing Iron Man.