Avengers movie

JackFetch

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Spike almost-rape thing?

Um... Spike literally did not have a soul at that point, and nobody trusted him until after he got his human soul back. (and even then, he was barely trusted until much later)

And if you think Buffy Season 6 is the worst of television, then you have apparently been blessed enough to have only seen the absolute best of television entertainment. Buffy at worst was mediocre or boring. Never outright terrible.

With the Spike almost-rape thing?

Um... Spike literally did not have a soul at that point, and nobody trusted him until after he got his human soul back. (and even then, he was barely trusted until much later)

And if you think Buffy Season 6 is the worst of television, then you have apparently been blessed enough to have only seen the absolute best of television entertainment. Buffy at worst was mediocre or boring. Never outright terrible.

Spike almost rapes Buffy, AND then Buffy takes Dawn to her would be RAPIST's home seeking help in protecting Dawn. THAT is terrible writing.

Yes there are other shows that are dumb or stupid or have a million plot holes, but when you have a show that's all about female empowerment and your main female lead almost gets raped and then she goes to that would be rapist home and asks for help. That is the worst of television.

As I understand it, immediately after the episode ends, Spike leaves town, and Dawn doesn't get taken to him for safety until later in the season, and even then, he's not there? And from what I remember of the show, Spike DID protect Dawn in other situations.

Buffy doesn't know he leaves town, she takes Dawn there because she wants Spike, the would be rapist, to protect Dawn.

As I understand it, immediately after the episode ends, Spike leaves town, and Dawn doesn't get taken to him for safety until later in the season, and even then, he's not there? And from what I remember of the show, Spike DID protect Dawn in other situations.

Yes. Right after Spike has that attempted-rape in the bathroom, he leaves town and isn't seen for a long while. Buffy trusted Spike with Dawn earlier in the season, before that had happened.

And this is entirely off-topic.

EDIT:

Wait, yeah, she trusted him with Dawn in that episode. But that was because he still had the chip in his head, and he could only hurt Buffy, not Dawn.

And this is ENTIRELY OFF-TOPIC!

1) Seeing Red, the episode in reference, was not written by Whedon.

2) He was not the showrunner at the time. That was Marti Noxon.

3) Whedon himself at the time was working heavily on Firefly so his involvement on Buffy and Angel were slightly less hands on at the time.

So, I don't see how any of this relates to Whedon's ability as a writer/director. Producer maybe but not projects that he's got right in front of him at all time, so hence, I agree, off-topic.

Fuck it, season 6 of Buffy might be the most disappointing overall but there are still about 8 great episodes in there including the ones you're talking about, that last run of five or six to the finale. The deal with Buffy and Spike was they has a very physical relationship, and he has trouble knowing right from wrong because he has no soul and he wound up doing something horrible. In a life or death situation where they need superhuman help he's still the only choice they had to protect Dawn, and he's shown on multiple occasions that he'd rather die than let harm come to her. Don't agree with it, but it did make a pragmatic kind of sense.

Plus, y'know, Joss was running three shows at the time, I'm fine with the odd slip. It gave us Firefly and Angel's best season (3).

You say "odd slip" I say piece of shit. I'm not gonna play the "Oh well it kinda makes sense in this way", a woman was nearly raped and then went to him for help, That's what it boils down to.

And as for the cop out "Oh well he didn't write it therefore he is completely Blameless!" He was the boss, and everything, I repeat EVERYTHING on both shows had to be given the ok from Whedon himself. So don't pull the whole well he didn't write it.

You say "odd slip" I say piece of shit. I'm not gonna play the "Oh well it kinda makes sense in this way", a woman was nearly raped and then went to him for help, That's what it boils down to.

And as for the cop out "Oh well he didn't write it therefore he is completely Blameless!" He was the boss, and everything, I repeat EVERYTHING on both shows had to be given the ok from Whedon himself. So don't pull the whole well he didn't write it.

So... you're saying that because of one choice made by one character (who arguably wasn't in the best mental health at the time anyway) in one episode of a 144-episode show, everything Joss Whedon touches is crap?

I wasn't completely saying that, I'm just saying why this is off topic. If you want to complain about the writing choices of people that aren't Whedon, start a Buffy-verse thread. All things considered, even if we count this one bad season, four excellent seasons of Buffy, Firefly, Season 2 of Dollhouse, Sernity, two Pretty good seasons of Buffy, and four Excellent seasons of Angel outweigh this one episode, especially taking into account the episodes that Whedon himself wrote and directed which is the point here. Taking into account the four episodes of Roseanne he wrote, most of which are some of the best in the history of the show as well as Dr. Horrible and the bad far out weights the bad. If we let every bad thing someone has written and directed get in the way of the possibility of it being good, well, guess The Hurk Locker sucks because te director also did Point Break.

So... you're saying that because of one choice made by one character (who arguably wasn't in the best mental health at the time anyway) in one episode of a 144-episode show, everything Joss Whedon touches is crap?

I love how you make it sound like that 1 choice was no big deal, you are saying its like a choice of different ice creams.

I love how you make it sound like that 1 choice was no big deal, you are saying its like a choice of different ice creams.

Way to dodge the question.

If you want to continue this, maybe we should move it to a new thread.

Just to kind of get back on topic, this could be a bad thing about Whedon being involved, he's a very decisive director/writer.. hopefully it isn't a theme, but this thread does show that he invokes a lot of passion, both good and bad.

I've heard talk that maybe he might conflict with the Marvel Studio heads, being the kind of guy who really, really wants things to go a certain way.

I don't think there'll be that many problems, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make a second one.

• 1 month later...
Jeremy Renner may be close to locking a deal to star as Clint Barton, AKA Hawkeye, in Joss Whedon's The Avengers, reports Heat Vision.

Since last year, rumors have persisted that Marvel has been after the star of The Hurt Locker to play the character, though official sources would not confirm that Hawkeye even has a role in the upcoming summer blockbuster, much less actor selection.

Renner talked exclusively with SuperHeroHype late last year, indicating that, while he'd love to join the Marvel Universe in some capacity, the film was too far off and, at the time, didn't even have a director. It appears that, with Joss Whedon now on board and pre-production moving forward, Renner may become an official member of the team yet.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=66794