Avengers movie

JackFetch

Who's eyes will the Avengers be told through? Whedon answers.

While The Avengers is clearly a group effort uniting some of Marvel’s most iconic superheroes, one crusader in particular will serve as the perspective for the movie, according to writer-director Joss Whedon.

Longtime fans of the comic series will probably be pleased to hear which character he thinks provides the grounding focus.

captain-america_510.jpg

Image Credit: Zade Rosenthal

In the comic books, Cap was regarded as the leader of The Avengers, and the movie will keep that team captain (no pun intended) element in place.

When last we saw him in the coda to Captain America: The First Avenger, Chris Evans’ World War II warrior was waking up in modern times after spending several decades as the world’s most patriotic popsicle.

After recovering him from the arctic and reviving him, the law enforcement agency S.H.I.E.L.D. hoped to ease Steve Rogers back into the world. Of course, when he suspects something strange and escapes from his seemingly 1940s-era hospital room, he is stunned to find himself in present day Times Square.

What followed was our first look at the team coming together for The Avengers movie, and Whedon says attaching this reveal to the Captain America film was no coincidence. “So much of [The Avengers] story takes place from Steve Rogers’ perspective, since he’s the guy who just woke up and sees this weird-ass world,” Whedon says. “Everyone else has been living in it. He’s the guy that feels that sense of loss.”

“[The Avengers] is very much about people who are alone — because I’m writing it,” jokes Whedon, who has assembled groups of outcasts before in TV’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer andFirefly — but also, remember, in his script for the original Toy Story. “[Captain America] is kind of the ultimate loner in that way. There is an anachronism to him, and Chris and I have always tried to, without making it goofy or too obvious, make him that same grounded ’40s Steve Rogers he was in the other movie.”

All that means is Captain America is the lens through which much of the story is seen. It doesn’t mean he’s the main character. The heroes in the film — Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man, Chris Hemsworth’s Thor, Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk, Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow, Jeremy Renner’s Hawkeye, and Samuel L. Jackson’s spymaster Nick Fury — carry about equal share of the movie. “You get them in a world, the world of S.H.I.E.L.D., where they fit in. And you say upfront, these are monsters. These are freaks. These are not you and me, and what are they doing here? How are they human beings?” Whedon says. “Let’s just investigate that.”

The investigation gets underway May. 4.

Edited by The Master
Use spoiler tags.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hydraulx special effects supervisor Chris Wells gave Starburst Magazine some interesting info on the opening sequence for Marvel's The Avengers that the company is overseeing.

"We're doing what essentially boils down to the prelude of the movie," he said. "There's a whole intro that happens before you start even getting the titles and it's pretty big. There's nothing small in this movie. I went to a screening with all the temporary visual effects and it was pretty fleshed out. It's a long movie but it doesn't feel like it. Out of all the comic book movies and franchises I've worked on, this is the best one I've seen so far."

That is certainly good news for the fans, considering he's worked on the "X-Men" films, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four, Green Lantern and many more.

He was also asked if the film would be driven by action or the character-oriented work that writer/director Joss Whedon is known for. "I think they nailed both," he said. "I think he did a very good job of setting up the characters based on what we know from the Marvel franchise, integrating them together with all their differences and similarities and then getting on with business. And just when you think the movie is a character piece it just goes nuts."

Confirming that the Red Skull is not in the film, he added: "I promise you it's not going to be boring. This thing has gone so big that Marvel are dwarfing their other franchises. For people who enjoy the comics and haven't really liked the way some of the characters were treated in other movies, I think they're going to be a little more appeased by this one. Especially the Hulk. They let the Hulk be Hulk and that's great. He acts more like the comic book Hulk. It's fun. My biggest problem with every single superhero movie is I don't think the payoff ever matches the build up. This one definitely does."

I think the costumes look very poor there. I don't know if it's the lighting or what, but they look like cheap fabric.

And, because I'm anal retentive, it really bugs me that Hawkeye and Cap are just randomly carrying their weapons inside the base when we know the shield fits on his back and the bow can be carried fucking somewhere.

I really have problems.

This might sound stupid, but my issue with that Cap costume is the change in tone between the fabric and the helmet. I mean, of course it should be a helmet, that makes all the sense in the world. Just looks a little odd.

Mind you just like the old Judge Dredd helmet that thing's going to offer very little protection. Helmet's work as a buffer, that principle sorta fails when the entire thing is directly connected to the skull shape like that.