Avengers movie

JackFetch

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen this three times now and had to fight not to go back and see it a fourth this weekend. When I buy the DVD/Blu-Ray, I'm going to be wearing it out pretty fast.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of films I've seen more than once at the cinema. The list of films I've seen more than twice is even smaller: Two. The first one was War Games.

So, after a little reflection on the film, something came to me. The moment where Thor hits Iron Man with the lightning and overcharges the arc reactor is funny, but it has staggering implications when combine with the fact that Howard Stark is the guy that found the Cube. My implication is this: the element that Tony creates in IM2, if not the whole arc reactor is reverse engineered from the cosmic cube. So when Thor hits him with the Asgardian lightning, it's literally the same energy that Iron Man was already using.

Furthermore, we can imply that listening to Cap "die" profoundly effected Howard Stark, because he spent a great deal of time searching for him and "wouldn't shut up about him." Losing Cap is a large part of the reason Howard Stark became an emotionally distant alcoholic, setting him to raise Tony to be the prick that he is.

Great thought.

Yeah, the last time I watched Captain America, I paid really close attention to the last time you see Howard on-screen. I think the implication is that the moment where he finds the cube but doesn't find Steve is the moment where he turns from being the playboy to the serious-minded and harsher individual that we see in Iron Man 2. Even Tony, who admittedly barely knew his father, remembers him constantly talking about Steve, so it definitely had a huge impact on him.

I actually thought that maybe the new element for the arc reactor was supposed to be vibranium or something, but thinking back it couldn't have been, since vibranium is supposed to be light but that new element had an atomic weight higher than anything else known to man.

Connecting the arc reactor to the cube makes a lot of sense, but I think that actually it's probably got more to do with the Hydra tech that was designed to harness the cube's energy. I mean, think about it: the name "arc reactor," combined with what we know about how it works, seems to imply that it's designed to utilize an element (palladium or whatever that new element was) to create energy, then retain that energy by cyclically "arcing" it throughout the device. That's gotta be why it's apparently such a "clean" power system: there's no excess radiation (unless you're using palladium inside a human body like Tony was, apparently) and the energy is entirely preserved for usage in whatever you need it for. That's a really similar idea to Hydra tech, where they had to channel the cube's massive unstable energy into specific devices. So either the arc reactor is based on Hydra tech or it's Howard's equivalent of it. So yeah, Thor using the lightning on it makes sense if you figure that arc reactor=Hydra tech and cube energy=Mjolnir lightning.

If you're sick of all of our box office reporting on the mega-blockbuster Marvel's The Avengers (Walt Disney Pictures) then you probably should stop going to see it so much, because it once again dominated the box office with another $55.1 million to take first place, defeating three new movies all which did disappointing business. The Avengers' domestic gross is estimated at $457.1 million after three weekends, putting it just behind Star Wars as the sixth-highest grossing movie of all time domestically.

Internationally, the film continues to keep pace with North America, as it added another $56 million in 54 territories to bring its international total to $723.3 million and its global cume to $1.180.4 billion, making it the fourth-highest release of all time behind only Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 ($1.328 billion), Titanic ($2.183 billion) and Avatar ($2.782 billion).

http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=90450

Looking at the release schedule I don't see any real competition for weeks unless MIB 3 somehow pulls off a miracle.

It's only in it's third weekend. As long as it doesn't go completely off the radar in the next couple of weeks, it's going to beat Avatar for the #1 position. This coming weekend is the first time it's going to have serious competition (Men in Black 3) and even then, next month has some potential heavy hitters but nothing that's going to push the film further down than number 5 slot for the weekend.

I'd totally be on her side with that except for the fact that her version of Black Widow mostly seems to exist as eye candy and to have a token female team member, so yeah, the questions relating to physicality are probably a little more relevant, while the psychological ones are more relevant to Downey Jr.

Still doing incredible business in theaters, Marvel's The Avengers is on its way to DVD and Blu-ray later this year. Though an official date is still unconfirmed, an interesting tease has shown up Amazon for something called the "Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled" Blu-ray collection. The tentative list of content for the ten-disc set reads as follows:

Marvel’s The Avengers (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)

Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)

Thor (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)

Iron Man 2 (Blu-ray)

The Incredible Hulk (Blu-ray)

Iron Man (Blu-ray)

• Bonus Disc - “The Phase One Archives” (Blu-ray)

• Collectible packaging with exclusive memorabilia from the Marvel Cinematic Universe

2lna2w1.jpg

Holy balls, we might get that Hellicarrier 10 disc holder after all!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd totally be on her side with that except for the fact that her version of Black Widow mostly seems to exist as eye candy and to have a token female team member, so yeah, the questions relating to physicality are probably a little more relevant, while the psychological ones are more relevant to Downey Jr.

I don't know if that's fair. Just because she's female doesn't automatically mean she was picked for sex appeal. There's always been a female in the Avengers, and her character was chosen. Plus, BW had a lot going on inside her head during the Avengers movie, moreso than Iron Man 2.

I empathize with her annoyance.

Oh, by "eye candy" I didn't just mean sexually. I meant she's there to look badass/hot/whatever (impressive, basically), just like Thor, Cap, and Iron Man. But unlike those other heroes, she didn't have a lot of actual character detail to work off of. I don't know that anyone walked out of the movie thinking "wow, that Black Widow sure is an interesting and deep character." 99% of everyone was probably thinking "damn, Scarlett Johannson looked great in that suit." I don't blame Scarlett for being annoyed, but the fault lies with the movie for not giving her enough character to work with. Well, that and the fact that she used a total of two facial expressions in the movie.