Avengers movie

JackFetch

Lets face it. She wasn't hired for her acting skills. She's hot and a name people know. As a matter of fact, she wasn't even the first choice. They had another lady hired but her schedule wouldn't let her do it. She's pulling the "why don't they take me seriously as an actress" the same way Megan Fox did.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, by "eye candy" I didn't just mean sexually. I meant she's there to look badass/hot/whatever (impressive, basically), just like Thor, Cap, and Iron Man. But unlike those other heroes, she didn't have a lot of actual character detail to work off of. I don't know that anyone walked out of the movie thinking "wow, that Black Widow sure is an interesting and deep character." 99% of everyone was probably thinking "damn, Scarlett Johannson looked great in that suit."

I did. I honestly felt that we were given a lot of her character and shown how layered she can be, especially in comparison to Hawkeye. I have a disconnect with most of the viewers, because apparent;y a lot of people got more out of Hawkeye than I did after seeing the movie. Besides being brainwashed for half of the film, I felt he was good but nothing memorable.

Black Widow on the other hand I felt like we got to know a great deal. Her mysterious background, what drives her, her personality. If she were depicted like she was in Iron Man 2, then I'd agree with everything said. But honestly I thought she was a really well rounded character in Avengers.

Lets face it. She wasn't hired for her acting skills. She's hot and a name people know. As a matter of fact, she wasn't even the first choice. They had another lady hired but her schedule wouldn't let her do it. She's pulling the "why don't they take me seriously as an actress" the same way Megan Fox did.

Yeah she was hired cuz she's hot as hell, and she's not an amazing actor like Downey Jr. or Tom Hiddleston, but she did fine with what she was given. Maybe the lack of an accent is what's having people shrug and say there's not much to her...

I think the deal is that she was basically given one bit of backstory and characterization (she was raised bad, met Hawkeye, owes him for not killing her), but that's it. The only thing we know that motivates her is that she owes Hawkeye; she hasn't had any real development either in this film or any films previous to actually flesh her out. Meanwhile, everyone else (except Hawkeye) has had exactly that, either previous solo films or more importance in Avengers. All that to say that in the end, her physicality was more important to the actual movie itself than her depth of character.

Eh, if women were really that uppity about it, they would refuse any script that fails the Bechdel Test.

1. It has to have at least two [named] women in it

2. Who talk to each other

3. About something besides a man

Unfortunately about 99% of movies fail it!

If only Hill and Black Widow spoke to each other, even if it was over the radio, this movie would have made the list!

I've always found the Bechdel test to be a little stupid, mostly because it can be passed with just two lines of small talk. The movie could be horribly sexist trash, but if two named female characters have a conversation of any kind (maybe they discuss starving themselves for a week so they can afford to buy makeup), it passes the test. Hooray.

I don't think it was ever intended to show how sexist a movie is. That would be ridiculous.

It's just there to show a general trend that's a little ridiculous and kind of unsettling. Having a movie pass it doesn't mean a whole lot. If several new release movies pass it, it might start to mean something.

• 2 weeks later...

We all knew there was going to be a short film attached to Marvel's Avengers Blu-ray. We knew it was going to be awesome. Now we know just how awesome. So—what is Item 47 about, who is in it, and what does it mean for the future of the Marvel movie franchise?

Starring Lizzy Caplan (True Blood, Party Down, The Class), Item 47 gives us an idea of just how different the world is after the events of Marvel's Avengers. Superheroes are in the limelight, an alien invasion was barely thwarted, and your average Joe or Jane is left to wonder, "Am I safe?" and "What happens next?"

A modern-day Bonnie and Clyde story, Item 47 tells the story of Benny and Claire (get it?), who find an alien gun and use it to ill purpose. Marvel Studios co-president Louis D'Esposito explains saying, "So when this gun ­literally fell into their lap, this is a sign: We're going to rob a few banks, we're going to buy a boat, we're going to the Caribbean, and all our problems will be solved."

This gives two S.H.I.E.L.D. agents (played by Maximiliano Hernández and Titus Welliver) the unlucky task of cleaning up the mess. If they're taking a page from the Joss Whedon playbook, which means one ugly, deadly, but inappropriately hilarious mess.

This is all in the name of painting just how much the world has changed for everyday folks. Says Item 47's writer, Eric Pearson, "Anything that expands the world and shows you the more human elements of it, that just makes the world more colorful and fun for the average viewer."

http://blastr.com/2012/07/marvels-finally-talking-a.php

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting opinion, but unfortunately the framing of the story leads to fanboys directly comparing The Avengers to The Dark Knight Rises - just check the comments. I'm pretty sure Pfister's referring to the style in which The Avengers was shot rather than calling the overall product to be a piece of shit. But then why let the actual words get in the way of Internet partisanship?!