Avengers movie

JackFetch

Thought that might be tough, adding space stuff in like that is a big jump. Then again I really like the idea that the Avengers are fighting something none of them have had experience with. Plus it would a gateway to introduce Captain Marvel, and a possible cosmic element to the Marvel film franchise.

The movie is almost certainly going to take place on Earth Transformers style with the war being brought to our planet. I just don't see them doing much space stuff in the first one.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geeks and Whedonites (that's Joss Whedon fans, to the laymen) got all uppity today following a Radar Online report that Demi Lovato, the troubled and sometime racy Disney star, was going to be in Marvel's The Avengers, which Whedon will shoot in spring 2011.

Actually, what Radar said was that she "was up for a role," but that quickly went to "she's in it" pretty darn quickly.

Sources inside Lovato's camp as well as Marvel's, however, said there was no truth to the rumor, denying across the board Lovato’s involvement. Part of the problem in hiring the actress is that she’s currently in rehab “for emotional and physical issues.”

But that doesn’t mean Marvel isn’t on the hunt for another female actress to join the male-heavy cast. So far, Scarlett Johansson (as the Black Widow) is the only notable female in a roll call that includes Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Samuel Jackson (Nick Fury), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye), Chris Evans (Captain America), Mark Ruffalo (Hulk) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor).

Sources say Marvel is looking for another actress to, um, (un)beef up the lineup, although in typical Marvel secretive fashion, the role is not being revealed. (Anyone want to take bets it’s the Wasp?)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/fast-demi-lovato-avengers-66240

I don't see how they could do Wasp without Pym.

If I thought they could use her, I would say just cast Jessica Biel as Scarlet Witch. Outside of Wasp, she's the most iconic female Avengers member. I'm half convinced they could use her since she was in the 90's Avengers cartoon. As for other female Avengers, She-Hulk would be repetitive, Spider-Woman would just confuse the kids asking, "Where's Spider-Man? Why doesn't she use webs?", Miss Marvel could work but I'd rather she be a background character in the first movie and got powers in the second, and Tigra... yeah, Tigra.

• 1 month later...
I'm hearing that How I Met Your Mother star Cobie Smulders has emerged as the front runner for the role of SHIELD Agent Maria Hill in the Joss Whedon-directed The Avengers and that a deal could be done before the weekend is out. The role has been the subject of high speculation since Samuel L. Jackson gave it up in an interview with Jimmy Fallon that he would be reading as Nick Fury alongside five actresses vying for an unidentified female sidekick role. That audition happened yesterday. Reports had V's Morena Baccarin, Jessica Lucas and Mary Elizabeth Winstead as other candidates. Smulders wasn't completely unknown to Whedon. In fact, he liked her as a candidate for Wonder Woman when he was working on that superhero film. Deadline has learned that the role is Maria Hill, who in the comics was the ruthless interim executive director of SHIELD, who was not above blackmailing and bullying superheros to get her way. She was eventually supplanted in that top job by Tony Stark aka Iron Man. As with all Marvel movies, the deal comes with a pile of options for appearances in future superhero films. She's repped by UTA and Roar. Marvel Studios starts production in April, which presumably falls into Smulders' TV hiatus on the CBS sitcom.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/cobie-smulders-closes-in-on-avengers/

Personally, I think Baccarin would be perfect with her current look. Also, V won't be around much longer so her schedule is about to be wide open.

I'd like someone a little feistier than Morena, much as I like her. Not convinced Cobie's right either though, Maria Hill needs to convince as a tough as nails military officer (even though she's not military). They don't want to risk going too young and ruining her credibility either, which a Jessica Lucas of MEP would do. The Marvel films so far have really tried to remain somewhat grounded and the results have been positive, they should keep with that ethos.

I'm honestly more interested in who they get for Dum Dum Dugan.

Not really sold on any of those names to be honest. Smulders is great as Robyn, but I couldn't buy her in this. Baccarin I think is a bit to over the top evil in V, so I'm not sold on her either. Winstead is the one that sticks out to me, I'd really like to see what she does with the role. She has a real bitchy quality about her I think.

Cobie Smulders is now confirmed for the part of SHIELD Agent Maria Hill in The Avengers, Variety is reporting.

Smulders is best known for starring on the sitcom "How I Met Your Mother" and was loosely referenced in connection to a unproduced Wonder Woman film when Avengers director Joss Whedon was attached. (He included the note "Sorry, Cobie" in his announcement that he was off the project).

Comic book readers will be aware of Hill's role in the Marvel Universe as Nick Fury's second-in-command who took over as Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. when Fury went missing during the "Civil War" storyline. Maria Hill has also appeared in the Ultimate Universe (where Fury resembles Samuel L. Jackson) but in a different capacity, and she's appeared in a couple of the cartoons as well, most recently voiced by Kari Wührer on "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes."

The Avengers will hit theaters on May 4, 2012.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73892#ixzz1DKXA0EkT

• 2 weeks later...

Avengers pulled out of shooting in Michigan because of the Governor's proposed budget plan :

Anxiety, uncertainty and anger are building in the metro Detroit film community over Snyder's budget plan, which essentially would eliminate the current film tax incentive and instead call for $25 million in each of the next two years for future movie projects.

"They were all set to come here," said Chris Baum of Film Detroit, a division of the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau. When producers couldn't get confirmation that they would still qualify for the incentives, they decided to pull out of the state, Baum said.

Tom Moisides got his call on Saturday morning: His services as a location scout for “The Avengers” would no longer be needed.

Moisides, whose credits include the Eminem-Chrysler Super Bowl spot, Hugh Jackman's "Real Steel" and Gerard Butler's "Machine Gun Preacher," said that he had been working to finalize contracts for his locations, he had hired an assistant and another location manager was expected to start this week. Moisides added that other members of the production were negotiating with local hotels and looking at office space, warehouse units and construction shops and mills.

"I'm mad as hell," Moisides said Sunday. "I feel like I've been punched in the stomach. Something has to happen quickly if we're going to keep the film industry here, like a message from the governor that says, 'We're still open for business.' The reality is, because of the uncertainty, productions are shutting down immediately."

Darcy Leutzinger, whose Washington Township-based Shotokan 911 worked on movies such as "Red Dawn" and the upcoming "Transformers" film, said his company had been contacted by "The Avengers" about helping with weapons armor and providing tactical SWAT officers and police officers for the production. He said he got a phone call Saturday saying that the project's Michigan plans were up in the air.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/126941-the-avengers-pull-out-of-michigan