Best horror film theme

Missy

This will be the next tournament, and I'd like to get it started by the end of the month (for the obvious reason). Depending on the number of nominated themes, the tournament will mostly likely consist of 32 entries. If possible, an mp3 of each theme will also be provided.

My nominations:

- Psycho ("Prelude")

- Psycho ("The Murder")

- Halloween

- The Omen

- The Exorcist

- A Nightmare on Elm Street

- The Shining

- Jaws

- Dawn of Dead (1978)

-Dies Irae (used in Friday the 13th among others)

-Manfredini's Friday the 13th Theme

-Candyman

-Philip Glass and the Kronos Quartet performing Dracula (1931)

-Duleing Banjos (from Delivrance)

-Jerry Goldsmith's Poltergeist theme

-"Tall Man on Main Street" from Phantasm

-Night on Bald Mountain

-Danse Macabre

-"O Fortuna" from Orff's opera Carmina Burana

-Funeral March of the Marionettes (Hitchcock's theme)

-Theme to Twilight Zone

-March of the Gallows

-In the Hall of the Mountain King

-Theme from "Night of the Hunter"

-The lullaby from Rosemary's Baby (chills typing this one out...)

That's all I can think of for now. Maybe make the Pscho Suite one choice to give some others a chance, just an idea.

I will be doing intermittent articles on theme music in Reel Dread. Maybe the first one will coincide with this tournament.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know, the concept just didn't interest me really. I like horror movies, but not quite huge on the themes that defined the genre. I also think you should've waited to see others respond to it before attempting at trying this out. No one really suggested the idea and you two were the only ones who appeared to be interested in it ever since it was brought up in the discussion thread.

Not trying to be mean about this or anything, I just think you should've waited for a bigger response before saying you were going to do this Tournament.

If the music samples are provided I would totally listen and participate but as far as my knowledge of the field goes...

I know the Jaws theme. Then there is that one from the one series... I forget which though I think it is either Elm or 13th (chh chh chh hrh hrh hrh). And of course there is... umm, well, Beetlejuice? (greatest theme ever, by the way. Ever)

• 1 month later...

I think with horror movies you need to see how the music is used to see which is the best. The ones that stand out are the ones that build suspense right before something happens. In fact, the only one I can remember that doesn't do that is the "1, 2, Freddy's coming for you" song.

A couple of the movies listed I don't think of as horror movies. I never thought of Jaws as one(it technically is but I didn't think it was even as a kid), and Deliverance is listed as a drama or thriller everywhere I've looked.

If a poll is done, there would have to be rules about listing what movie it's from, samples of it, and whether it would have to be an original song for the movie, or just a song that was used by one(Funeral March of the Marionettes). I think Yoda's list is good, and Dread's goes way too obscure for me. I've seen Candyman and Phantasm, but couldn't tell you what the theme was like, so obviously they couldn't have been that good.