Final Fantasy XII

kariyanine

The new Final Fantasy game comes out on Tuesday. Is anyone else excited about the impending release? I can honestly say I haven't been this psyched about a game in quite a while and have been looking forward to XII's release for a long time now.

I haven't seen much about it but with two kids the wallets lighter these days and video games are far from my mind. Is there anything really new in it?

I used to get excited about new FF games, but not anymore. They all have the same formula.

1. Repetitive fighting until it gets boring

2. A story so complicated that it's hard to follow

3. About halfway through the game you stop everything and have to play mini games if you want the best weapons in the game

I admit I would get the new one if I had the extra cash, but my 360 and Wii preorder are sucking the money dry.

btw, I have played the demo that comes with DQ8, and it does seem different then the rest, but I'm sure it will still follow the above formula.

The new Final Fantasy game comes out on Tuesday. Is anyone else excited about the impending release? I can honestly say I haven't been this psyched about a game in quite a while and have been looking forward to XII's release for a long time now.

I haven't seen much about it but with two kids the wallets lighter these days and video games are far from my mind. Is there anything really new in it?

I believe it is also the first Final Fantasy to feature a world previously used in a game (Ivalice from Final Fantasy Tactics is the world of FF XII). I'll be picking up my copy (the first game I will gave bought since last year) tomorrow night after work.

I believe it is also the first Final Fantasy to feature a world previously used in a game (Ivalice from Final Fantasy Tactics is the world of FF XII). I'll be picking up my copy (the first game I will gave bought since last year) tomorrow night after work.

Cough*X-2*Cough

Cough*X-2*Cough

Correct. I thought that game was such a pile of crap that I forgot about it.

It is the first true Final Fantasy game to feature a previous world though. 1-11 are all different worlds that had not been visited before, they may have been visited again (like in X-2 and Tactics Advance) but the true sequels have never been to a previously developed world. Or at least that was my take on it.

I decided to get this. I was able to get the 80 dollar collectors edition that came with the hard cover art book and dvd at Gamestop that someone pre-ordered but never picked up.

So far, I got to say I'm not digging the battle system, a little too MMORPG-ish for my taste.

Yeah, the battle system is too KOTOR for my tastes. Either make it real time, or don't. There's no point in having my character run around if he still has to attack through a menu.

Exactly. It wouldn't be too bad if they had let the player assign attacks, magiks, and techniks to certain buttons, so taht way all you had to do was press the button to unleash the attack. Having to go through multiple menus while fighting in real time is fucking dumb.

One more complaint I have with the battle system is blocking and dodging. The fights are all real time, yet blocking/evading an attack is still done randomly based on your EVA rate. I should be able to dodge attacks by running around the enemy, but even if you do, and the enemy attacks in front of him, and your standing behind him, you still take damage.

Plus, could your computer controlled partners be any dumber. No matter what you have the gambits set to, they just love to stand right in front of the enemy and keep getting hit over and over.

I usually agree with Famitsu, but right now I just don't see how this was only the sixth game ever that they scored a perfect 40.

One more complaint I have with the battle system is blocking and dodging. The fights are all real time, yet blocking/evading an attack is still done randomly based on your EVA rate. I should be able to dodge attacks by running around the enemy, but even if you do, and the enemy attacks in front of him, and your standing behind him, you still take damage.

Plus, could your computer controlled partners be any dumber. No matter what you have the gambits set to, they just love to stand right in front of the enemy and keep getting hit over and over.

I usually agree with Famitsu, but right now I just don't see how this was only the sixth game ever that they scored a perfect 40.

I'm currently enjoying it, the battle system reminds me of a little played PSX title Vagrant Story. Anyone else feel it reminds them of Vagrant Story?

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got the game, and am really having fun with it. The story is good, and easy to follow this time. The battle system is a lot like KOTOR, but I liked KOTOR so I don't mind. The world feels a lot bigger, like Final Fantasy Online. I only have a few gripes.

1. The graphics aren't very good. Maybe I've been too spoiled by my 360, but the in game stuff looks like ass. Jaggies from hell. In my head I remember FFX looking better than that.

2. I wish I could see all the armor I equip instead of the skimpy outfits everyone seems to wear in the game.

3. Why do all the guys look like girls?

4. The license system is stupid. Why do they have to change the way they do this for every FF game?

3. Why do all the guys look like girls?

Actually, in early stages of the game, Vaan character looked completely different. He used to have a very "masculine" look, however, Square decided to change his look to feminine to connect with their target age-group market in Japan, the J-Pop scene.

I'm mowing my way through this, and love it thus far. If they'd released it as Vagrant Story 2, I think a lot of people's expectations wouldn't have been overblown and it would've been a little more widely accepted than it seems to be. I really like the battle system, but it just doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy.

I'm right around the 30 hour mark, for clarity's sake.

• 4 weeks later...
Just curious, has anyone else tried to fight Yiazmat and his 50 million+ health points?

Yiazmat may have 50 million+ health points but Omega mark requires you entire party to be maxed out before even attempting to get your ass kicked. Has anyone unlocked all the espers yet? Zodiark is supposed to be incredibly powerful once you get him.

Just curious, has anyone else tried to fight Yiazmat and his 50 million+ health points?

Yiazmat may have 50 million+ health points but Omega mark requires you entire party to be maxed out before even attempting to get your ass kicked.

The thing is, is that niether of these bosses is hard, just time consuming. With the right gambits of reverse and decoy set up, you can easily topple every monster in the game. The problem is that, outside of espers and concurrences, the most damage you can do is 9,999. If we round that up to 10,000, it would take you roughly 1,100+ hits to take down Omega's 11 million HP. That's well over 5,000 hits for Yiazmat. After spending hours on Omega and then more time on the Hell Wyrm, I just lost interest in fighting anymore.

Has anyone unlocked all the espers yet? Zodiark is supposed to be incredibly powerful once you get him.

Zodiark is a waste, just like every other esper in the game. If you trigger his final attack, he does 60,000, which isn't worth using all your MP, in my opinion. In fact I went though the whole game without using the espers. They are a waste of your MP and rarely bring much to the battle that your own characters can't do better.

I liked the game enough, the story was good but the characters really did not connect with me at all. From Cloud to Squall to Zidane and Tidus and main male cahracter is fighting for something it just seems Vaan is fighting for absolutely no reason. Basch and Balthier are given much more depth then the lead character which is certainly surprising for a FF game. I don't know it just didn't seem like a game worthy of the FF series.