Reel Dread: Long Live the King... the Long-Winded King

RSS

Last week I spoke about Clive Barker and why his stories work so well as movies. This week I'll be talking about the cinematic adaptations of the most prolific and best-selling horror author of all time. He also happens to be the best-selling novelist of all-time. If you don't know who I'm writing about... then I have to ask you one question: what is it like being in a coma for 30 years?

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/columns/reddick/reel-dread-08

Des, this is easily your best RD yet! Instead of leveling praise or opinion after opinion, which is fine for some subjects, here you really dug in deep to examine the situation from a fact-based perspective and I feel I walked away with a greater understanding of the subject. Hope to see more like this one in the future.

Des, this is easily your best RD yet! Instead of leveling praise or opinion after opinion, which is fine for some subjects, here you really dug in deep to examine the situation from a fact-based perspective and I feel I walked away with a greater understanding of the subject. Hope to see more like this one in the future.

Wow...thanks!!!

I was worried it would come across as long and rambling. I'm pulling my hair out over Lovecraft right now. I'll get it to you tonight.

Love the backwards writing in the banner by the way.

Really enjoyed reading this throughout. There's quite a lot of films on that list that I haven't seen yet, I've gotta get around to it. The only thing I disagree with was the idea that King is embedded further into pop culture than Conan-Doyle, basically because of Holmes.

King's horror films that don't work tend to be his longer works.... This phenomenon is not exclusive to Stephen King by any means. Any extremely long book should never be turned into a film. Or a series of films for that matter.

Was this a Lord of the Rings dig?

King's horror films that don't work tend to be his longer works.... This phenomenon is not exclusive to Stephen King by any means. Any extremely long book should never be turned into a film. Or a series of films for that matter.

Was this a Lord of the Rings dig?

Very astute my friend. Anyone who knows me well knows that I despise Tolkien and anything derived from his work. That's another soapbox for another time though.

Really enjoyed reading this throughout. There's quite a lot of films on that list that I haven't seen yet, I've gotta get around to it. The only thing I disagree with was the idea that King is embedded further into pop culture than Conan-Doyle, basically because of Holmes.

Thanks for the kind words Luke. And yes, I may have been a bit overzealous using that name. I would even argue that the phrase "Elementary my dear, Watson" is even more embedded into the culture than Holmes himself.

Don't be a stranger folks, it's great to hear feedback, positive or otherwise, as I'm new to this kind of writing.