System of the Current Generation

Missy

System of the Current Generation  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A fanboy of what, pray tell? I was big on Sony last generation, that doesn't mean they're not proven liars. In my experience, those known as fanboys are often first the throw out the fanboy accusation.

See? I can try and devalue your opinion with one cliche' and overused word too.

I was being a little sarcastic in that post. That site is a corporate site, which means it's under regulations. If Sony misrepresents one number on that site they are open to a plethora of lawsuits from their shareholders, investors, consumer watchdog groups, and investment groups. To devalue the information just because it is a Sony site, which you said, was why I sacastically said "fanboy".

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wii beats PS3 but both suffer Ebay effect

By Chris Nuttall in San Francisco

Published: December 8 2006 19:31 | Last updated: December 8 2006 19:31

Sony sold only 197,000 units of its PlayStation3 games console in the US last month, well below sales of Nintendo’s rival Wii, because of supply problems.

It had aimed to put 400,000 PS3s into the biggest market for video games for the release of its next-generation machine in November.

But the figures from researcher NPD Group show it achieved less than 200,000.

In contrast, Nintendo’s rival Wii console outsold the PS3 by more than two-to-one, selling 476,000 units in November.

The PS3 went on sale on November 17 and the Wii on November 19.

Both products quickly sold out and have been reaching prices well in excess of their respective $599 and $250 price tags on websites such as eBay.

This has been bad news for video game publishers, who have seen “attach rates” on average of only one game being sold along with every PS3 console and two for the Wii, rather than the three or four that would normally be expected.

Both companies could clearly sell far more units if they could get supplies into the market.

Sony suffered a manufacturing setback with the Blu-ray player incorporated in the PS3, but analysts now expect full production to lift available units in the US to 600,000-800,000 by the end of the year.

Nintendo said on Friday Wii sales reached 600,000 in the Americas region in its first eight days of availability.

It also said it had sold 55 per cent of all video game systems in November, with 920,000 units of its handheld Nintendo DS machine and 642,000 Game Boy Advance sales.

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 console also appeared to have benefited from the hype around the new launches and from the frustration of gamers unable to buy the new products.

It outsold both the PS3 and Wii with 511,000 units.

Mr Pachter said the 360 was not as much a beneficiary as he had expected, perhaps due to the $400 price tag for its premium version.

The real winner was the PlayStation2, he said, which sold 663,000 units after Sony dropped the price from $149 to $129.

Source

I know it is crazy cheap, but it is pretty interesting that the PS2 sold the most amount of units still. I would have thought that the shelf life of it was almost at an end. As in everyone that would have wanted one would have it by now.

The 6 month point will be interesting, once supply issues for everyone have been resolved.

All I know is in a year when everything is drastically reduced I'll be buying the 360 with the cheap versions of Dead Rising, Gears of War and maybe Morrowind.

Exactly. The 360 is my console of choice because it has the games I want with a controller I like. The PS3 controller would need to have significantly eveolved for me to consider using it for many games. I own as PS2 and its near unusable in some instances.

I'll leave the Wii to my housemates and get the 360 for myself. Halo 3 baby!

I know it is crazy cheap, but it is pretty interesting that the PS2 sold the most amount of units still. I would have thought that the shelf life of it was almost at an end. As in everyone that would have wanted one would have it by now.

I've been pondering getting one myself. My old PS2 sounds like an old man in the morning when I try to power it up, and takes for freaking ever to load. For $129, it's almost manageable to pick one up solely for replacement / mod chipping reasons.

All I know is in a year when everything is drastically reduced I'll be buying the 360 with the cheap versions of Dead Rising, Gears of War and maybe Morrowind.

Exactly. The 360 is my console of choice because it has the games I want with a controller I like. The PS3 controller would need to have significantly eveolved for me to consider using it for many games. I own as PS2 and its near unusable in some instances.

I have no idea what you are talking about with this? Do you have Homer Simpson stubby fingers? Not that I've used the 360 controller much, but I didn't notice much of a difference.....

Q, interesting point about the PS2 replacement thing. I guess with the system, network adapter and hard drive it becomes a pretty cheap game system (even with the rentals of games from block buster) :)

I've been pondering getting one myself. My old PS2 sounds like an old man in the morning when I try to power it up, and takes for freaking ever to load. For $129, it's almost manageable to pick one up solely for replacement / mod chipping reasons.

I've only recently considered getting a PS2. I've always just played my friends'. I'd be getting one just for things like Tactics, Vagrant Story, Guitar Heroes, and the number one reason--Shadow of the Colossus

I've only recently considered getting a PS2. I've always just played my friends'. I'd be getting one just for things like Tactics, Vagrant Story, Guitar Heroes, and the number one reason--Shadow of the Colossus

Don't forget ICO and God of War.

Don't forget ICO and God of War.

I've never played ICO and would try it once I hypothetically acquired a PS2, but God of War to me feels like just another action game. A really good one, I give you, but I prefer PoP. So GoW wouldn't be a draw towards ps2.

God of War is far beyond "another action game." There's a reason it was nominated for (and won) many Game of the Year awards.

It was good, yes. Very good. It just never made me want to play it more/again. I have played it, it was fun, but it wasn't fun enough for me. According to my friend I was about halfway through when I stopped, I think that was about the time I got distracted by either the X collection or the first Sonic collection.

And if you're interested in Shadow of the Colossus, you must play ICO first. Must!

Too late. The reason I'd be willing to buy a ps2 for these games is because I've already played them and want to play them again (or more depending on the type of game that may not really have a distinct and conclusive "end"). I've heard many good things about ICO but none of my friends have ever had it.