Preacher on HBO

JackFetch

HBO is developing a one-hour series based on the popular 1990s Vertigo comics series, Preacher, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Mark Steven Johnson (upcoming Ghost Rider, Daredevil) is writing the pilot, while Howard Deutch is attached to direct. Johnson and Deutch will executive produce along with Michael De Luca, George Agusto, Chris Bender and JC Spink.

Preacher, which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

The series was created by Irish-born writer Garth Ennis and British artist Steve Dillon, who will serve as co-executive producers. Ken F. Levin, who represents the duo, also will serve as co-executive producer.

There have been several attempts to bring the comic to the screen, whether big or small, but nothing stuck, says the trade. A movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached.

http://superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=4949

Shane who?

I'd rather have Robert Carlyle as Cassidy: he looks haggard, can play a violent drunk, has a fan following who'll watch the show just because he's in it and, you know, is a really solid actor.

Shane MacGowan is the singer of the Pogues and who Cassady is based one from what I remember Ennis saying. He is the quintessential drunken Irish lout and would be perfect for the role.

Here's the thing though,

How many of the actors you guys keep listing are willing to do a series?

Yeah, some of them have been in HBO movies or Mini-series but not TV.

Not that I am against this mind you, I have always thought series like Preacher, 100

Bulletts, and Y: the Last Man would make better TV Shows and movies.

Ed Harris just came off of a really lame, boring series on HBO called Empire Falls. As for all the other actors, HBO is a major part of the television and film industry. Some of the greatest series on television have come from HBO - Angels in America - From Earth to the Moon - Band of Brothers - all of which commanded pretty big stars. I really don't think HBO will have a problem getting actors such as Harris and the others we've mentioned. Mind you I never really watched HBO until I started to work for their studios and I was surprised at the respect they commanded. They would flat out go toe-to-toe with major stars like George Cloney if they felt that their projects were going in the wrong direction. I'm sure they will do fine with actors.

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!

MSJ: The book. I came in with the comics saying "Here it is." I said "I'm going to try to make it about an issue or so for each show. Some things will move around, some will be bigger than they are and some will have to come down." But basically that was my template. As I've said this is a five, six year show.

From this article at Newsarama

ya know what sucks? the people already involved in this. Howard Deutch, Mark Steven Johnson (possibly the next Uwe Bowl (however you spell his name).

I really like DD, though I understand others' distaste. I thought it was good.

As for Howard... I'm a huge fan of the Replacements as a film. Keanu can perform when he's told exactly what to do and it was done. Even if you disagree with that, Pretty in Pink, man! Pretty in Pink! Personally like it or not, it is a great film!

conclusion:

MSJ--hit or miss, take or leave 'im

HD--I have a hard time seeing this as a bad thing, or that it sucks

ya know what sucks? the people already involved in this. Howard Deutch, Mark Steven Johnson (possibly the next Uwe Bowl (however you spell his name).

I really like DD, though I understand others' distaste. I thought it was good.

As for Howard... I'm a huge fan of the Replacements as a film. Keanu can perform when he's told exactly what to do and it was done. Even if you disagree with that, Pretty in Pink, man! Pretty in Pink! Personally like it or not, it is a great film!

conclusion:

MSJ--hit or miss, take or leave 'im

HD--I have a hard time seeing this as a bad thing, or that it sucks

I agree with you on Deutch. He's made good films, especially THE GREAT OUTDOORS!!! I just don't know how I feel about him taking on one of my top favorite comics. A comic way ahead of its time with some pretty deep and controversial themes. He really hasn't done anything remotely close to the Preacher project other than a Tales From The Crypt eps (and that's a stretch).

As for MSJ, sorry bro, not a fan. It's funny that they both worked on Grumpier Old Men though.

• 8 months later...