The 1st Annual Earth-2.net Mainpage Awards

James D.

Okay, so since we are a website on the grow, Yoda has given me to go-ahead to give out awards for people who have contributed to the mainpage and The Show over this year. This is a good way to show passers-by on the mainpage and casual listeners of the Show that we are a serious website. (Maybe someone can make a pretty banner for this thing? :angel: )

The awards will be voted on by all of you and there will be a number of categories to vote on. You won't have to vote for all of the categories, but I encourage you to vote to show support for those of us who put a lot of time into our work. Anything that went up on the mainpage from January 1st, 2006 until December 31st, 2006 will be eligible to be voted on. The voting will start on January 1st, 2007 and it will be via e-mail. I don't have all of the categories yet, though, and obviously, there is still a month for more articles and whatnot to go up on the mainpage, so don't worry about voting until after New Year's Eve anyway. Here are some awards that I KNOW I will include:

Best Overall Writer/Contributor ("Writer/Contributor of the Year")

Best Movie Review

Best Comic Book Review

Best Anime/Manga Review

Best Video Game Review

Best Feature Article (non-review)

Best Column

Best Artwork

Best Episode of The Show

Best E2: The Show Moment

Best Recurring Segment on The Show (Anticipation, etc.)

Best Individual/One-Shot Segment on The Show (any individual review done by anyone)

Best Video

Anyone who contributed to a respective category during the year is eligible. You can win multiple awards. There is no limit.

What I will encourage people who contributed to the mainpage to do is what Oratory writers used to do when they did the OA's--post a list of your favorite columns/articles/whatever in this thread later on (like the last week of this month) so people know what is eligible to be voted on from you. Now, if there are some other awards you want me to consider, post your ideas here. I'm going to be running this (Mike is busy enough as it is), so if you have any suggestions for anything, let me know and we can discuss it here. One thing I do want to seriously discuss is whether to let people who only read the mainpage and aren't yet forum members vote on the awards. I honestly have no qualms whatsoever either way, so if you have a preference, explain yourself. I'm leaning towards allowing it, though.

I really want this to succeed, so give me some feedback.

I would lean towards allowing it as well, considering I was a mainpage-only person for quite a while. However, I'm not quite sure how you could properly verify or enforce it. Of course, if they don't, I doubt they would take the time to vote.

unmaking some mud here: are the potential nominees for best movie review (and others like it, "movie" picked randomly) text only, or does that category include both audio and text reviews?

When I say "movie/anime/comic/whatever review", I mean the written columns. Audio stuff and the like happens on The Show, so those reviews would fall under the "Best Segment on The Show" award.

But this does bring up a good point--would you all like me to split the Show Segment award into two? Meaning:

Best Recurring Show Segment (Anticipation, etc.)

Best Individual Show Segment (any singular review done by me or Mike & Jen or Kellen or whomever)

This might actually be a really good idea because you can go back and find a review that Kellen or Ian or Mike/Jen or Cash or I did and say, "That was an awesome review." And then you can still vote for an overall body of work done on The Show like, perhaps, Ian's comic movie reviews as a whole, for example.

What do you think?

Here's everything that was published thus far in 2006. Please let me know if I left anything off.

The videos are undated, so I need help recalling which ones are from this year.

Articles

- (D)Evolution to Otaku by Kellen Scrivens

- If I Ran Marvel (four parts) by Michael David Sims

- Ultimate Green Lantern by James D. Deaux IV, Desmond Reddick and Michael David Sims

Columns

- Final Fantasy Chronicles: An Introduction (or Back to the Future) by Michael David Sims

- Good Times, Great Memories: A Childhood Retrospective by Kellen Scrivens

- Reel Dread: A Little Bit of Sentimentality (or The Waiting is the Knardest Part) by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Adapting a Legend: Do Your Math, Son! by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Adapting Clive Barker: Tripping the Dark Fantastic by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: An Introduction by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Don't Open the DVD Tray: Halloween by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Hallowed be thy Flame by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Long Live the King... the Long-Winded King by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Sprechen Sie Scary? by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: The Unfilmable: What is Lovecraftian Cinema? by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: The Rant by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Reviewing Live Feed: Commence the Procedure!

- Reel Dread: Reviewing The Final Curtain: Bubble, Bubble, Drama Geeks in Trouble

- Standing at the Edge: Holy Terror, Batman! by Christopher Brosnahan

- Standing at the Edge: V for Vendetta by Christopher Brosnahan

- Standing at the Edge: Why the World Didn't Need Superman (Quite as Much as Warner Bros. Wanted It To) by Christopher Brosnahan

Earth-2.net: The Show

- Episodes 9-77

- Quickie 3-4

Interviews

- Andy Runton by Jenny Seay

Reviews: Anime / Manga

- Genshiken 1: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture by Kellen Scrivens

- Genshiken 2: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture by Kellen Scrivens

Reviews: Comic Books

- The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive #1-2 by Michael David Sims

- Infinite Crisis #5 by Drew Grgich

- Infinite Crisis: This Is Your Life, Superman! by Drew Grgich

- Justice League of America #0 by Michael David Sims

- Something Old, Something New: The Boys #3 & Gen13 #1 by Michael David Sims

- Something Old, Something New: Catwoman #59 & Blade #1 by Michael David Sims

- Something Old, Something New: Daredevil #89 & Supergirl #10 by Michael David Sims

- Something Old, Something New: Fantastic Four #540 & Doctor Strange: The Oath #1 by Michael David Sims

- Superman: Up, Up and Away (seven of eight parts reviewed) by Joe Sergi

- Wolverine: Enemy of the State by Peter Rios

Reviews: Movies

- BloodRayne by James D. Deaux IV

- Mortal Kombat: Annihilation by James D. Deaux IV

- Underworld: Evolution by Cash Melville

Reviews: Video Games

- Blinx: The Time Sweeper by drqshadow

- Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem by drqshadow

- Final Fantasy: Origins by drqshadow

- FlatOut by drqshadow

- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories by drqshadow

- Guitar Hero by D.W.

- Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy by drqshadow

- Jak II by drqshadow

- Jak 3 by drqshadow

- Kingdom Hearts by drqshadow

- Mortal Kombat: Deception by drqshadow

- NHL '06 by Kellen Scrivens

- Silent Hill 2 by drqshadow

Videos

- Catch Twin-Ty Two by James D. Deaux IV

- Everybody Needs Somebody by Kellen Scrivens

- Harder Than It Looks by Kellen Scrivens

- One of Us by Kellen Scrivens

- That Ain't No Love by Kellen Scrivens

Wallpapers (all by Michael David Sims)

Wolf_Creek_001_t.gif Metal_Gear_001_t.gif Thor_001_t.gif Codename_Knockout_001_t.gif

Spider-Man_002_t.gif GL_002_t.gif Cap_002_t.gif X-Men_001_t.gif

Catwoman_001_t.gif Hellblazer_001_t.gif Detective_Chimp_001_t.gif Punisher_004_t.gif

Barracuda_001_t.gif Doctor_Mid_Nite_001_t.gif

Edited by Yoda

The only video I have given you this year was "Catch Twin-ty Two". All of the others were from last year or '04. Hopefully, I can get my first part of my big project out before the end of this month, but it's up in the air. Kellen will have to help you out with his vids.

Cool idea!

I'm thinking that voting would start in the new year? Obviously some stuff to come in the next month.

Anything that went up on the mainpage from January 1st, 2006 until December 31st, 2006 will be eligible to be voted on. The voting will start on January 1st, 2007 and it will be via e-mail. I don't have all of the categories yet, though, and obviously, there is still a month for more articles and whatnot to go up on the mainpage, so don't worry about voting until after New Year's Eve anyway.

You would think right. :P

Yeah, you got the part on my vids right. Also, are we going to allow the contributors to vote for ourselves, as much as I'd like to be there are times when it is hard to be objective (though some cases can't be helped, James' BoodRayne review, my Monopoly of the anime/manga category)

Also, how about we turn to results into an episode of the show, we can have Mike & Jen go a little more in depth about it on the show and hand out the awards, the winners could even pre-tape acceptance speeches (or we could have others explaining why they won) and send them in. Sound Good?

Cool idea!

I'm thinking that voting would start in the new year? Obviously some stuff to come in the next month.

Anything that went up on the mainpage from January 1st, 2006 until December 31st, 2006 will be eligible to be voted on. The voting will start on January 1st, 2007 and it will be via e-mail. I don't have all of the categories yet, though, and obviously, there is still a month for more articles and whatnot to go up on the mainpage, so don't worry about voting until after New Year's Eve anyway.

You would think right. :P

Me am brain not work good. Me am want coffee and the breakfast.

Yeah, you got the part on my vids right. Also, are we going to allow the contributors to vote for ourselves, as much as I'd like to be there are times when it is hard to be objective (though some cases can't be helped, James' BoodRayne review, my Monopoly of the anime/manga category)

Also, how about we turn to results into an episode of the show, we can have Mike & Jen go a little more in depth about it on the show and hand out the awards, the winners could even pre-tape acceptance speeches (or we could have others explaining why they won) and send them in. Sound Good?

No, you cannot vote for yourself. I meant to put that in the first post, but it just slipped my mind at the time. If you are the only contributor to a category, then just don't vote on it. Others will choose which piece they thought was the best.

As for The Show, I assume that Mike and Jen will do something about it on there, but I don't think we need acceptance speeches. I'm planning on tabulating everything and sending the results to Mike. If people who vote want to send in voicemails or e-mails explaining why they voted they way they did, then I think that would be cool, though. Of course, all Show matters are decided by Mike ultimately, so we need to see what he thinks about all of this.

No, you cannot vote for yourself. I meant to put that in the first post, but it just slipped my mind at the time. If you are the only contributor to a category, then just don't vote on it. Others will choose which piece they thought was the best.

As for The Show, I assume that Mike and Jen will do something about it on there, but I don't think we need acceptance speeches. I'm planning on tabulating everything and sending the results to Mike. If people who vote want to send in voicemails or e-mails explaining why they voted they way they did, then I think that would be cool, though. Of course, all Show matters are decided by Mike ultimately, so we need to see what he thinks about all of this.

Could I vote for a multi-collaborative project if I was involved? I thought Ultimate GL was pretty awesome in spite of my contribution. If not that's cool because I have an idea about another article.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder that December 29th is the last possible day for new articles/shows/etc. to go up on the mainpage since December 31st is on a Sunday and nothing new goes up on the weekends. Voting will begin on January 1st and will run through January 22nd--that's exactly three weeks' time in which to vote. I'll create an e-mail to send your votes to and post it here within the next couple days or so.

Okay, here is the information everyone will need:

The rules/scoring method:

--All voting will be done via e-mail. Starting on January 1st, send your votes to:

madhatterjim@aol.com

***YOU HAVE UNTIL JANUARY 22ND TO GET ME YOUR VOTES--THREE WEEKS. NO VOTES WILL BE COUNTED AFTER THIS DATE.***

What to do:

--ONE BALLOT PER PERSON. Do not send in multiple ballots. I will throw out any superfluous ballot I receive from you after the first. It would help me greatly if you would include your name (forum handle preferred, but not necessary) in the e-mail, too. NOTE: You do not have to be a forum member to vote on the awards. Hopefully, Mike will mention this on The Show and on the mainpage so we can get more people in on this besides us. After all, the ulterior point is to get more people signed up for the forums as well as honoring the hard work of the writers/presenters.

--Only pieces posted from January 1st, 2006 until December 29th, 2006 are eligible. Do not vote for something that was posted last year (2005 or before) or that vote will be thrown out.

--Vote for your THREE favorite pieces from each category. If you don't have three favorites, or you don't want to vote in a certain category at all, simply put "N/A" in as many of the slots as you deem necessary. You are not required to vote in every category, although it is my hope that you will vote in as many as possible.

--First-place votes earn 5 points each. Second-place votes earn 3 points each. Third-place votes earn 1 point each. I will tabulate everything once the deadline hits.

--The piece that earns the most points from votes in every category will be declared the winner of that category. In the event of a tie, the piece that received the most first-place votes will be declared the winner.

--Please vote for pieces in their proper categories. If you accidentally put a vote for, say, a movie review, under the "Best Anime Review" category, then I will have no choice but to disqualify that particular vote. Sorry, but I cannot assume anything. I can only take what is in front of me and go with it.

--DO NOT vote for any pieces/Show segments that you wrote/recorded by yourself. That's just cheap. I realize that this is on a semi-honor system basis since I don't require you to send me your name with the ballot, but please do the right thing and vote for something other than your work. There are two exceptions to this rule. One is joint pieces. If you were part of a joint review, then you may vote for it. Just don't vote for something that you singularly composed. The other exception, and this is really just for Mike and/or Jen (assuming she casts a ballot), is episodes of E2: The Show and Artwork. Since Mike was the only person to do "Artwork", I can't very well disqualify him from voting on them. (Nor, for that matter, will I force him to vote on them if he chooses not to. That's what those lovely little "N/A"'s are for.)

--If you have a question about what piece falls under which category, Mike has, quite graciously, divided everything up from 2006 in this thread. Use this thread as your reference point.

BALLOT (copy/paste it to your e-mail):

==========

Best Overall Writer/Contributor ("Writer/Contributor of the Year")

1.)

2.)

3.)

Best Movie Review

1.)

2.)

3.)

Best Comic Book Review

1.)

2.)

3.)

Best Anime/Manga Review

1.)

2.)

3.)

Best Video Game Review

1.)

2.)

3.)

Best Feature Article (non-review)

1.)

2.)

3.)

Best Column

1.)

2.)

3.)

Best Artwork

1.)

2.)

3.)

Best Episode of E2: The Show

1.)

2.)

3.)

Best E2: The Show Moment

1.)

2.)

3.)

Best Recurring Segment on The Show (Anticipation, etc.)

1.)

2.)

3.)

Best Individual/One-Shot Segment on The Show (any individual review done by anyone)

1.)

2.)

3.)

Best Video

1.)

2.)

3.)

==========

(I'm praying that everyone's e-mail will support that format and nothing will be displaced or jumbled around when I receive them.)

***One additional thing: if you want to, you can add a little blurb telling why you voted for whom you did on any given topic. (There is no limit. Write as many blurbs as you wish, but please keep them brief--preferrably two sentences each.) I'd like to read off some of the compliments from voters when the awards presentation rolls around. Please, only send positive remarks. I will not read off "I didn't vote for so-and-so because his writing sucks!!1!1". That's just stupid. Savvy? But I feel that reading some compliments from voters provides something else to listen to during the awards presentation besides "And the winner is..." over and over and over again. Don'tcha think? :happy:

***PLEASE DO NOT SEND IN ANY VOTES UNTIL JANUARY 1ST. AFTER THAT, YOU HAVE UNTIL JANUARY 22ND, 2007 TO SEND ME YOUR BALLOT.***

I think I covered all of the bases, but if there is a question you have, please do not hesitate to ask me in this thread. Don't send me a PM because that doesn't help anyone else.

I'm hoping that I can have everything tabulated by the end of the month so that we can announce the winners on the first episode of The Show in February or somewhere in that neighborhood.

I'd like to thank you all in advance for participating in this. It truly means a lot to all of us.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but I'll post it again for sake of ease.

Here's everything that was published thus far in 2006.

Articles

- (D)Evolution to Otaku by Kellen Scrivens

- If I Ran Marvel (four parts) by Michael David Sims

- Ultimate Green Lantern by James D. Deaux IV, Desmond Reddick and Michael David Sims

Columns

- Final Fantasy Chronicles: An Introduction (or Back to the Future) by Michael David Sims

- Good Times, Great Memories: A Childhood Retrospective by Kellen Scrivens

- Reel Dread: A Little Bit of Sentimentality (or The Waiting is the Knardest Part) by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Adapting a Legend: Do Your Math, Son! by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Adapting Clive Barker: Tripping the Dark Fantastic by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: An Introduction by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Don't Open the DVD Tray: Halloween by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Hallowed be thy Flame by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Long Live the King... the Long-Winded King by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Sprechen Sie Scary? by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: The Unfilmable: What is Lovecraftian Cinema? by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: The Rant by Desmond Reddick

- Reel Dread: Reviewing Live Feed: Commence the Procedure!

- Reel Dread: Reviewing The Final Curtain: Bubble, Bubble, Drama Geeks in Trouble

- Standing at the Edge: Holy Terror, Batman! by Christopher Brosnahan

- Standing at the Edge: V for Vendetta by Christopher Brosnahan

- Standing at the Edge: Why the World Didn't Need Superman (Quite as Much as Warner Bros. Wanted It To) by Christopher Brosnahan

Earth-2.net: The Show

- Episodes 9-77

- Quickie 3-4

Interviews

- Andy Runton by Jenny Seay

Reviews: Anime / Manga

- Genshiken 1: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture by Kellen Scrivens

- Genshiken 2: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture by Kellen Scrivens

Reviews: Comic Books

- The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive #1-2 by Michael David Sims

- Infinite Crisis #5 by Drew Grgich

- Infinite Crisis: This Is Your Life, Superman! by Drew Grgich

- Justice League of America #0 by Michael David Sims

- Something Old, Something New: The Boys #3 & Gen13 #1 by Michael David Sims

- Something Old, Something New: Catwoman #59 & Blade #1 by Michael David Sims

- Something Old, Something New: Daredevil #89 & Supergirl #10 by Michael David Sims

- Something Old, Something New: Fantastic Four #540 & Doctor Strange: The Oath #1 by Michael David Sims

- Superman: Up, Up and Away (seven of eight parts reviewed) by Joe Sergi

- Wolverine: Enemy of the State by Peter Rios

Reviews: Movies

- BloodRayne by James D. Deaux IV

- Mortal Kombat: Annihilation by James D. Deaux IV

- Underworld: Evolution by Cash Melville

Reviews: Video Games

- Blinx: The Time Sweeper by drqshadow

- Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem by drqshadow

- Final Fantasy: Origins by drqshadow

- FlatOut by drqshadow

- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories by drqshadow

- Guitar Hero by D.W.

- Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy by drqshadow

- Jak II by drqshadow

- Jak 3 by drqshadow

- Kingdom Hearts by drqshadow

- Mortal Kombat: Deception by drqshadow

- NHL '06 by Kellen Scrivens

- Silent Hill 2 by drqshadow

Videos

- Catch Twin-Ty Two by James D. Deaux IV

- Everybody Needs Somebody by Kellen Scrivens

- Harder Than It Looks by Kellen Scrivens

- One of Us by Kellen Scrivens

- That Ain't No Love by Kellen Scrivens

Wallpapers (all by Michael David Sims)

Wolf_Creek_001_t.gif Metal_Gear_001_t.gif Thor_001_t.gif Codename_Knockout_001_t.gif

Spider-Man_002_t.gif GL_002_t.gif Cap_002_t.gif X-Men_001_t.gif

Catwoman_001_t.gif Hellblazer_001_t.gif Detective_Chimp_001_t.gif Punisher_004_t.gif

Barracuda_001_t.gif Doctor_Mid_Nite_001_t.gif